NFL Awards Nike uniform & sideline apparel rights

GottaDeal

Is there any chance of Nike doing away with this once they take over?:

nfl_equipment.png

I'm sure nike wants it gone since that came on with the rbk deal but I'm sure nike would push for their own co-branded mark so if they can convince the league to drop it you may trading for an equal evil along the lines of "nfl combat" or some iteration of that garbage.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Nike will do a better job with Colts' shoulder stripes--the latest skill position jerseys don't even go a quarter of the way around the shoulder. Ridiculous!

17_collie%5C2010_1010_kc_186_macht.jpg17_collie%5C2010_1010_kc_251_macht.jpg

"Better" still isn't "right." They can't get it right on LSU, so I am not optimistic they can fix the Colts uniform.

EPDJVFEYKCJMBKH.20090708165142.jpg

Is there any chance of Nike doing away with this once they take over?:

nfl_equipment.png

I'm sure nike wants it gone since that came on with the rbk deal but I'm sure nike would push for their own co-branded mark so if they can convince the league to drop it you may trading for an equal evil along the lines of "nfl combat" or some iteration of that garbage.

That is a league owned trademark, I don't see it going away.

Doesn't anyone remember that Nike had a deal to make and market on-field jerseys before? I'm pretty sure the world didn't end, and (other than Denver) no teams sold their souls to the swoosh.

Unless it's actually in the contract that they will have the power to make teams wear jerseys that they design, it's still the teams' fault when they whore themselves out and wear ridiculous uniforms.

dfwabel, you're good at this stuff - find that contract and post it.

Go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Nike will do a better job with Colts' shoulder stripes--the latest skill position jerseys don't even go a quarter of the way around the shoulder. Ridiculous!

"Better" still isn't "right." They can't get it right on LSU, so I am not optimistic they can fix the Colts uniform.

It's better then Reebok's attempt.

Doesn't anyone remember that Nike had a deal to make and market on-field jerseys before? I'm pretty sure the world didn't end, and (other than Denver) no teams sold their souls to the swoosh.

Unless it's actually in the contract that they will have the power to make teams wear jerseys that they design, it's still the teams' fault when they whore themselves out and wear ridiculous uniforms.

dfwabel, you're good at this stuff - find that contract and post it.

Go.

Still looking.

Dramatic, to me, refers to the materials used (as discussed) and possibly that cooling system which some NCAA teams need.

a poster on volnation who knows inside stuff

it will be announced this week that Nike and New Era will be taking over the NFL contract after adidas/Reebok didn't win the bid. They will be focusing on their recently renewed NBA and NHL contracts.

Nike wasn't thought to be a serious bidder on the NFL contract until they lost the bidding war for the MLB uniform contract last summer.

Just out of curiosity, Majestic and New Era re-upped with MLB, right?

As for the NFL deal, put me under the camp of things staying pretty much the same as it was under Reebok. At the very least the replicas should be nicer if they're anything like comparing college and NFL replicas currently.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I think this is just wonderful. I am a big Nike fan, and just cant stand Reebok and the crap they have implemented. I mean Nike doing the apparel and New Era doing the hats is just a huge huge win to me. Plus Ive always felt that football/NFL, the biggest sport in America, should be supplied by an American company, not a British one owned by a German one.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

This. There aren't going to be many dramatic design changes because pro teams care a lot more about their brand identities than college teams. Many programs are desperate for that money from Nike or Reebok that they allow them to do whatever they want (and if you haven't noticed the big schools with money don't have those crazy styles).

It's better then Reebok's attempt.

That's an old jersey cut, and Reebok's version of the old jersey cut made the shoulder loops look the same. The Pro Combat jersey cut doesn't have nearly the same amount of real estate for the loops that the old cut had, much like the new Reebok/adidas Techfit jersey.

clemuni1.png

Especially look at the lack of shoulder area on the rear of the jersey. And I still can't figure out why there are so many seams on this jersey. Less seams = more comfort. Even Reebok figured that out. <_<

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really hope teams don't become an Oregon-project.

Professional teams should look it. Just because you CAN have a certain design doesn't mean it won't make you look like a complete set of tools.

And don't for a minute think Nike isn't going to try to put their stamp on every team. For example, as Darren Rovell said on an interview on today's Dan Patrick Show, (to paraphrase): Yeah, they'll still look like the Dallas Cowboys but they'll Nike-ize it, even if it's ever-so subtly, to put their stamp on it. I fear he's right to some extent.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I really hope teams don't become an Oregon-project.

Professional teams should look it. Just because you CAN have a certain design doesn't mean it won't make you look like a complete set of tools.

And don't for a minute think Nike isn't going to try to put their stamp on every team. For example, as Darren Rovell said on an interview on today's Dan Patrick Show, (to paraphrase): Yeah, they'll still look like the Dallas Cowboys but they'll Nike-ize it, even if it's ever-so subtly, to put their stamp on it. I fear he's right to some extent.

If Nike fixes the multiple blues and silvers problem I won't complain :P

Teams I would like to see Nike have their way with:

None

I don't know which company/group would be better doing redesigns, but I wish Nike would attempt to make good, timeless designs insted of always going for flashy, trendy crap which will sell but look extremely dated in three years. As of now, the NFL has a rule that teams can only change uniforms once every 5 years, but I'm sure Nike will push to change that. I don't want Nike doing in the NFL what it does in college sports, where some teams routinely get distinctively different designs every 1-3 years.

To me, the Broncos' current look is okay (although a huge downgrade from the previous look). I liked it when it came out, but now I consider it bad for all the other bad designs it opened the floodgates to. In a way, the Broncos' design is like Skynet in the Terminator series. We see in T2 that it was started with great intentions, but lead to awful things. So, just like in the movie, if I could go back in time I would blow up the Broncos' uniforms before they debuted to spare the world.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Remember that in college, uniform designs are also changed quite frequently to help recruiting. NFL teams aren't recruiting anyone. Plus the league office and Mr. Goodell are more protective of teams' brands and the league's image than the Pac-10 comissioner is of Oregon.

College football and the NFL are incredibly different dynamics.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived