2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

"We" for "the team I follow" is a useful and economical nugget of descriptivist grammar. If it's a matter of assailing dumb homers for being dumb homers, there are better ways to nab them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We" for "the team I follow" is a useful and economical nugget of descriptivist grammar. If it's a matter of assailing dumb homers for being dumb homers, there are better ways to nab them.

Right, because "the Clippers" is a real mouthful. Using "we" is something that is better in moderation. Much like using a thesaurus I suppose.

BB52Big.jpg

Exactly. I've bought Clippers merchandise (like jerseys), which helps support the team financially. I watch as many games as I can, so that helps their ratings, too.

Without fans, teams would go bankrupt, so I think fans have the right to say "we" when we're talking about our favorite teams. Especially when one of them is a historically-bad and cursed franchise that you've rooted for your whole life, through thick (well, as little "thickness" as possible) and thin.

Wrong. Players would then play solely for the love of the game and if they did make money, would make a lot less.

Right, because "the Clippers" is a real mouthful. Using "we" is something that is better in moderation. Much like using a thesaurus I suppose.

What's with the thesaurus crack? I didn't think I was digging deep to use the term "descriptivist grammar." I'm just referring to the idea that something becomes correct when everyone does it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What's with the thesaurus crack? I didn't think I was digging deep to use the term "descriptivist grammar." I'm just referring to the idea that something becomes correct when everyone does it.

It was a joke Colonel. Besides, it's not like you haven't been known to "dig deep" into the word trunk on occasion. Your body of work certainly warrants an occasional "thesaurus crack." :D

BB52Big.jpg

Dear Clipper Living Room,

You're Clippers fans. Good for you. Just keep in mind that you root for a monumentally inept franchise. People are going to make jokes about your team and most of the time it's with good reason. Stop acting like it's some sort of horrific personal insult and take the comments with a grain of salt.

Signed,

Cleveland Browns fans

PS: What the :censored: was this guy trying to say?

You people are funny, I swear to God...if some of you all don't the Clips being talked about, just don't read the :censored:in' boards. I don't apologize for that anyway.

I'm right here...let me clarify my statement: If you don't like reading or having the Clippers being mentioned here, DON'T READ THE :censored:IN' BOARD!

I can take things with a grain of salt, it's not that big of a deal. However, I have a problem with people (not mentioning you specifically) making stupid, generic statements when you have no further knowledge of the situation. I don't go around insulting of fans whose teams have been suffering...I have no reason to, even if my team(s) is/are winning. There's more of us Clipper fans than you think, and just because we don't post here or anywhere doesn't mean we aren't around. We don't have much to cheer for right now, outside of Blake Griffin and maybe Eric Gordon, and a lot of the fans are pissed at the front office for basically going back to the cheap method, with crap signings like Ryan Gomes, Randy Foye, and Brian Cook.

I could go on and on about this, but I'm done here...

You're Clippers fans. Good for you. Just keep in mind that you root for a monumentally inept franchise. People are going to make jokes about your team and most of the time it's with good reason. Stop acting like it's some sort of horrific personal insult and take the comments with a grain of salt.

Signed,

Cleveland Browns fans

You people are funny, I swear to God...if some of you all don't the Clips being talked about, just don't read the :censored:in' boards. I don't apologize for that anyway.

I'm right here...let me clarify my statement: If you don't like reading or having the Clippers being mentioned here, DON'T READ THE :censored:IN' BOARD!

I can take things with a grain of salt, it's not that big of a deal. However, I have a problem with people (not mentioning you specifically) making stupid, generic statements when you have no further knowledge of the situation. I don't go around insulting of fans whose teams have been suffering...I have no reason to, even if my team(s) is/are winning. There's more of us Clipper fans than you think, and just because we don't post here or anywhere doesn't mean we aren't around. We don't have much to cheer for right now, outside of Blake Griffin and maybe Eric Gordon, and a lot of the fans are pissed at the front office for basically going back to the cheap method, with crap signings like Ryan Gomes, Randy Foye, and Brian Cook.

Dear Clippers Fans,

You're welcome.

Love, Timberwolves

PS - At least your GM isn't a point guard-hungry David Kahn.

I wouldn't say we went the cheap route this summer, especially considering how the front office pursued LeBron, and he wouldn't have come cheap. The LeBron thing didn't work out for us, but it also didn't work out for the Nets, Knicks, Bulls, or Cavs. It's not like the Clips were the only franchise turned down by LeBron.

As far as our actual signings went, by the time the LeBron charade ended, all of our other targets either were grossly overpaid by their current teams (Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson) or were snapped up by other teams (Josh Childress). Other than Gomes, Foye and Cook, we had a legitimate shot at landing a broken down T-Mac and/or Adam Morrison, and the difference they would make on this team would be negligible.

Clippers fans have plenty to cheer for this year. We have one of the most athletic and electrifying players in the NBA in Blake Griffin and a coach that knows how to maximize young talent. This is a young team that needs time to gel. We're only three games into the season. I still think we can turn it on and make a run later on in the season.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hawks give Al Horford a contract extension. 5 years, $60M.

Now I'm mad because if the Hawks had drafted a GOOD PG, I'd be thinking about the Hawks as a championship contender for years to come with the core that they have locked up. Now, I just gotta hope that Horford and Mr. Bet It Hit Rim elevate their play to superstar status, the young stable of guards live up to their potential & that Joe Johnson doesn't deteriorate TOO badly.

It was a joke Colonel. Besides, it's not like you haven't been known to "dig deep" into the word trunk on occasion. Your body of work certainly warrants an occasional "thesaurus crack." :D

You're giving him credit for the TCR era, too, right? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Signed,

Cleveland Browns fans

Point is, this isn't the clipper homer board, soooooo.........

If you don't want to hear people take shots at the clips, post on another :censored: board!

07Giants.pngnyy.png

You're giving him credit for the TCR era, too, right? :P

Well, does the admiral retain TCR's history ala Cleveland Browns?

Signed,

Cleveland Browns fans

Point is, this isn't the clipper homer board, soooooo.........

If you don't want to hear people take shots at the clips, post on another :censored: board!

No one ever said that this was the "Clipper homer" board, and I never implied that. If people want to take shots, fine...a lot of it is much-deserved, but it's the same lame jokes heard time and time again.

Further proof that the NBA is doing well when it comes to money: The Grizzlies just gave Mike Conley a contract extension for 5 years & $45M. LOL.

EDIT: I still can't believe it. MIKE CONLEY GOT 5 YEARS AND $45 MILLION!!!!!

EDIT 2: The Grizzlies now have $120M+ dedicated to Rudy Gay & Mike Conley. Holy :censored:. I dare an owner to cry poor after giving guys like Conley THIS much money.

Further proof that the NBA is doing well when it comes to money: The Grizzlies just gave Mike Conley a contract extension for 5 years & $45M. LOL.

EDIT 2: The Grizzlies now have $120M+ dedicated to Rudy Gay & Mike Conley. Holy :censored:. I dare an owner to cry poor after giving guys like Conley THIS much money.

You think thats crazy?

Luol Deng scored 40 points tonight! Yes, Luol Deng.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The Owners are full of :censored: but they are going to try and squeeze the players like the NHL did in 2005.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Witness a CBS blogger (& Grizzlies fan) go ape over this.

For the record, he did calm down today & say that Conley is a decent player & one of those guys that "could come off of the bench & win a playoff game late for you."

BUT YOU DON'T GIVE A PLAYER LIKE MIKE CONLEY $9 MILLION TO BE A DECENT BENCH PLAYER AND THE WORST STARTER IN THE NBA. Also, if your team has a young, promising PG, you better hope that your owners ready to pay dearly to keep or acquire him. The market just got jacked up.

EDIT: Can't forget, this basically means that OJ Mayo & Mark Gasol will be on the market as soon as their contracts are up. Grizzlies fans (if there are any on here), Mike Conley & Rudy Gay are the faces of your franchise now. Wow. What a TRBL contract.

Archived