2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

Although I see why some people are defending the whole "it's just trash talk" deal (I mean, come on, if anyone has played sports for a millisecond, you've probably heard some really foul stuff said in the heat of competition), that cancer line was definitely uncalled for. No doubt about it. Wrong.

So yeah, the gist is this: KG is a dick & a MASSIVE :censored: on the court, we've all known that for years now & this cements that as fact. But this has been blown out of proportion a bit. It honestly should've stayed on the court. If KG had done this in public in front of the media, I'd see why it'd blow up.

EDIT: Had LeBron said this...the Earth would've blown up. :P

Homer mode: He supposedly called him "cancerous to your team and our league." Trusted media outlets toss around the word "cancer" to describe troublesome players left and right and no one cares. KG is literally a gorilla in intensity and manners on the court, a completely different being, and we all know this. Even so, I doubt that he said anything that actually demeans actual cancer patients, even trash talking.

Slightly more objective mode: Who gives a :censored:? Is this worse than making gang signs, using the f-word like an indefinite article, or making mom insults? Wow, a basketball player said something not nice to another basketball player. To the basketball player, not the world. All evidence we have of this spat is the victim's report on Twitter. That's doesn't mean it didn't happen; I'm sure harmful words were dropped freely, but there's a reason we wouldn't have heard about it if not for a couple of Tweets: it's :censored:ing basketball. This is not a PG or family-friendly arena for polite and politically correct conversation.

Trash talking is an art form. A vulgar, often low-life art form, but it is a difficult craft. Insulting cancer patients, if true, is an uncannily poor effort (it's pretty uninspired and useless), but if fans (and players, apparently) take so much offense to the actual content of trash talk, maybe the NBA could 1) replace the entire league with fat old guys who speak Russian; 2) place censors on the sidelines and remove all courtside seats; 3) make them chant "2, 4, 6, 8" after every game and give all the players a 6-inch trophy at the end of the year for their great, sportsmanlike effort; or 4) fold.

I'll be honest: I wish this would have happened to another team's player so I would know how I would have reacted. I probably wouldn't rush to his defense like I did, but I think I would have shared the same idea that this is really nothing to get all worked up about. Inappropriate and inconsiderate? Possibly, but that misses the real point here.

Fair enough. I think we would probably both agree that this should've stayed on the court, and it was unnecessarily thrown into the limelight because Charlie "The Reason Why Pro Athletes Get Punished For Using Twitter Immediately Before-During-Immediately After Games" Villanueva didn't keep it on the court. It's trash talk, it honestly shouldn't be taken personal & feelings shouldn't be caught...unless they call your sister a terrorist, then you should headbutt them in their chest. :P

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was just KG making fun of Villanueva's shaved head.

He doesn't shave his head, he has a condition called alopecia universalis, which results in the loss of all hair.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

He doesn't shave his head, he has a condition called alopecia universalis, which results in the loss of all hair.

Ahh did not realize that I always though he just shaved it, well that is what KG was referring to and that makes him a bigger prick because he should know about the condition.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Ahh did not realize that I always though he just shaved it, well that is what KG was referring to and that makes him a bigger prick because he should know about the condition.

I'm sure he does.

As a player, I don't have any respect for trash talkers. There's much better ways to get under a player's skin, namely just playing good tight defense and not giving them anything. That's my two cents though.

The thing is, good trash talk has to be backed up. There's always a risk that you will be totally embarrassed, which it makes that much more interesting, for me at least. Would Ali be so revered if he wasn't so cocky and outspoken? He told everyone he was the best, and then he proved it. That's legendary. Of course, it's not for everyone; there are probably more soft-spoken players than big trash talkers, but that's partly why it can be so awesome when pulled off. (And in the NBA, it's not like we hear trash talk all the time -- which is why this Villanueva/KG story is news. But I love hearing stories about trash talk and stuff like that that goes on on the court that we don't usually see.)

Why should Garnett know about the condition, you didn't. :P

I still want to know why it's okay for people to call T.O., Ochocinco, Randy Moss, etc. "cancers" but calling Villanueva a "cancer patient" talking shtt ON THE COURT (which I totally believe he did, by the way, I just don't give a fvck) is supposed to be some uber-egregious error in judgement.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I still want to know why it's okay for people to call T.O., Ochocinco, Randy Moss, etc. "cancers" but calling Villanueva a "cancer patient" talking shtt ON THE COURT (which I totally believe he did, by the way, I just don't give a fvck) is supposed to be some uber-egregious error in judgement.

Its in bad taste and maybe KG should visit a cancer center for children, but he should be fined.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Its in bad taste and maybe KG should visit a cancer center for children, but he should be fined.

He was talking shtt on the court, he didn't say it in an interview or tweet it. It may be in bad taste, but come on, in terms of trash talk, this is mild.

Clips on the good end of garbage time for the first win. Of course it's against an expansion team so it's not earth-shattering, but still good news. These kids'll do well without B-Dog doggin' it like a dog.

Expansion Team?

You mean Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder? Considered universally a favorite to be that #2 team behind the Lakers in the West? With probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the league?

Huh?

And yeah, for all the grief I have given the Clippers and their fans, Blake Griffin is a beast on wheels. Congrats on that first win.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

KG shouldn't be fined, shouldn't have to apologize, and frankly call me a homer, but I believe it when he says it was taken out of context. Trash talking, whether you agree, like, or participate, is frankly just part of the game in the NBA. I'm sure 80% of trash talk that flies during the game, is far worse than calling someone a cancer patient.....

Anyhow, congrats to Rondo for setting the record for most assist in the first five games with 82, passing John Stockton. Also, big ups to Paul Pierce for passing the 20,000 point mark as a Celtic. Mind blowing stat, he did it in roughly 15 (IIRC) LESS games than Bird...

My Hornets are a surprising 4-0, with wins over Milwaukee, Denver, Houston and San Antonio. New coach Monty Williams has them playing great defense, which has made a difference. Big test at home Friday night against the Heat.

It is what it is.

Clips on the good end of garbage time for the first win. Of course it's against an expansion team so it's not earth-shattering, but still good news. These kids'll do well without B-Dog doggin' it like a dog.

Expansion Team?

You mean Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder? Considered universally a favorite to be that #2 team behind the Lakers in the West? With probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the league?

Huh?

And yeah, for all the grief I have given the Clippers and their fans, Blake Griffin is a beast on wheels. Congrats on that first win.

It was a really good team win over a quality (albeit right now, struggling) team; Vinny finally stopped running the offensive most of the time through fumblin' and bumblin' Chris Kaman. Gordon and Bledsoe looked really good, and Griffin was very solid (he has to work on his foul shooting). They're certainly playing with a much better vibe and harder without Bum Diddly. If Vinny sticks with the youngsters, this team can head in the right direction.

As for Clipper Darrell...yawn -_-

I hate to criticize a fellow fan, but he's completely delusional...the whole strike nonsense (I knew he wasn't gonna sit still for long), saying that this team can win 50 games this season (I seriously doubt right now that they can win 40), and saying in a radio interview yesterday that Eric Gordon is the next Kobe Bryant. I mean, I love Gordon, but to put him right there with #24 is hilarious and I'm not a Kobe supporter.

Of course it's against an expansion team so it's not earth-shattering

The Thunder aren't an expansion team, they're the former Seattle Sonics, and they've been in OKC for three years now. :blink:

Thank God for that win. Baron Davis needs to be kept on the bench for the rest of the season, or until we can dump him on the Bobcats. This team is extremely potent, fast, and physical without Dead Weight Davis out on the court, and his absence actually makes us a threat to win games.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Thunder aren't an expansion team, they're the former Seattle Sonics, and they've been in OKC for three years now. :blink:

Thank God for that win. Baron Davis needs to be kept on the bench for the rest of the season, or until we can dump him on the Bobcats. This team is extremely potent, fast, and physical without Dead Weight Davis out on the court, and his absence actually makes us a threat to win games.

If the Clippers can stay healthy, I think they are one or two pieces away from having a top 5 Western Conf. team(maybe not this year, more like 2011-2012). They need to solidify their bench with another piece, maybe find a trade for Baron Davis/Brian Cook/Ryan Gomes and try to bring in some more athleticism to the team.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

He was talking shtt on the court, he didn't say it in an interview or tweet it. It may be in bad taste, but come on, in terms of trash talk, this is mild.

Isn't the point of trash talk that it's a bit upsetting? Surely there's no point if it's just polite pleasentaries.

I don't know but judging by the amount of community stuff NBA players have to do, Garnett has probably been to plenty of cancer wards.

Bottom line as far as I can see is that really this is a non story, jinned up through the 24 hour news cycle. (nothing quite as ridiculous as the 24 hour sports news cycle!) all be forgotten in a couple of days when some other story is jinned up to make sure ESPN have something to talk about!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I thought he was the best passer in the NBA?

Your words, not mine.

IUe6Hvh.png

Technically, he did have the best assists in the league statistically last year. However, this year, he showed up overweight to training camp, his condition hasn't improved very much, and the team - Gordon especially - has just played worse when he's on the court. He needs to go because he's screwing up chemistry now on a young team with a ton of upside.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived