How should Nike handle the NFL?

andrewharrington

Here's a mockup I did showing how Nike's current uni du jour might translate to the NFL (using the technology debuted on Oregon State's Pro Combat uniform). I could get on board with something like this. I think it's a better look than trying to shoehorn sleeve stripes onto the jersey itself, which I didn't think was a very good look on teams like Ohio State and LSU during last year's Pro Combat run. To me, having a separate undershirt with stripes is not optimum from an aesthetic standpoint (at that point, why not just have an elbow-length jersey that's as tight and stretchy as the current sleeveless ones?), but it's better-looking than the cap-sleeve stripes, especially on linemen. Granted, I don't know how these sleeves will look on linemen (probably not as good as it looks on the skill-position model), but I think it would ultimately be better than the alternative. If anyone else wants to mockup other ideas, or teams whose designs might present a problem, feel free, just make sure it's good. :P

procombat_browns.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Here's a mockup I did showing how Nike's current uni du jour might translate to the NFL (using the technology debuted on Oregon State's Pro Combat uniform). I could get on board with something like this. I think it's a better look than trying to shoehorn sleeve stripes onto the jersey itself, which I didn't think was a very good look on teams like Ohio State and LSU during last year's Pro Combat run. To me, having a separate undershirt with stripes is not optimum from an aesthetic standpoint (at that point, why not just have an elbow-length jersey that's as tight and stretchy as the current sleeveless ones?), but it's better-looking than the cap-sleeve stripes, especially on linemen. Granted, I don't know how these sleeves will look on linemen (probably not as good as it looks on the skill-position model), but I think it would ultimately be better than the alternative. If anyone else wants to mockup other ideas, or teams whose designs might present a problem, feel free, just make sure it's good. :P

procombat_browns.jpg

I just hope they finally put a logo on that helmet, better yet, make the helmet white with the Football B logo as seen here:

Browns_White_Brown_White-1.jpg

spacer.png

I just hope they finally put a logo on that helmet, better yet, make the helmet white with the Football B logo as seen here:

yeah...no.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I dunno...it will be 2012 when Nike takes over, so they'll probably come up with a completely new uniform. They'll have new technology and they'll probably want to differentiate the NFL and college.

But, talking about your idea, I'm not sure if it would work. Offensive lineman rarely wear any type of undershirt, so what would happen with them? Personally, I think they'll probably keep stripes on the sleeves, but we'll have to just wait and see.

While the idea is definately there, there's little possiblity that this would work. Like mbannon said, undershirts are a matter of pure preference, and teams playing it hot-weather climates wouldn't love the idea. Keeping the stripes on the jerseys themselves is the best bet, seeing as that's how it's always been.

I dunno...it will be 2012 when Nike takes over, so they'll probably come up with a completely new uniform. They'll have new technology and they'll probably want to differentiate the NFL and college.

But, talking about your idea, I'm not sure if it would work. Offensive lineman rarely wear any type of undershirt, so what would happen with them? Personally, I think they'll probably keep stripes on the sleeves, but we'll have to just wait and see.

I could see that, but then again, that's only a year and a half away. As an example, the new Reebok jersey has been in development and testing for about 3-4 seasons and it's still not being used across all teams yet, so I don't know that Nike's going to have something completely new ready in time for the NFL's 2012 season. That would certainly be tough to do. Do you think they would even bring the Pro Combat jersey over to the NFL, or do you think they would more likely just use the regular jerseys that you see most of their NCAA schools using (assuming they aren't developing a completely new uniform for the launch in 2012)?

I was curious about the undershirt thing myself, since Oregon State is actually going to wear a throwback that's done this way. I mean, you would think that everyone would be wearing the striped undershirt for that game, because if there's a handful of people who don't, the entire team will look like garbage.

Truth be told, if the NFL bought in to this concept, they could simply change the uniform rules so that the team undershirt is required, as if it's part of the jersey. A change in uniform rules may require the approval of the players' union, though. But I agree, I feel it's unlikely at this point. It does look pretty good, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If the Browns ever looked like that (or did any of those things), I think I'd die.

I could see that, but then again, that's only a year and a half away. As an example, the new Reebok jersey has been in development and testing for about 3-4 seasons and it's still not being used across all teams yet, so I don't know that Nike's going to have something completely new ready in time for the NFL's 2012 season. That would certainly be tough to do. Do you think they would even bring the Pro Combat jersey over to the NFL, or do you think they would more likely just use the regular jerseys that you see most of their NCAA schools using (assuming they aren't developing a completely new uniform for the launch in 2012)?

I was curious about the undershirt thing myself, since Oregon State is actually going to wear a throwback that's done this way. I mean, you would think that everyone would be wearing the striped undershirt for that game, because if there's a handful of people who don't, the entire team will look like garbage.

Truth be told, if the NFL bought in to this concept, they could simply change the uniform rules so that the team undershirt is required, as if it's part of the jersey. A change in uniform rules may require the approval of the players' union, though. But I agree, I feel it's unlikely at this point. It does look pretty good, though.

I see what you mean, but I would think Nike would be a little more advanced in that area, since they are really heads and shoulders above Reebok, adidas, etc. I'm not sure, but I would think they would be faster than Reebok. Also, I'm sure they've been talking with the NFL for awhile, so they could have had something in the works for awhile.

If the Browns ever looked like that (or did any of those things), I think I'd die.

No. You wouldn't.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I see what you mean, but I would think Nike would be a little more advanced in that area, since they are really heads and shoulders above Reebok, adidas, etc. I'm not sure, but I would think they would be faster than Reebok. Also, I'm sure they've been talking with the NFL for awhile, so they could have had something in the works for awhile.

I don't agree with that, but I could see there maybe being a big push to get something done ahead of schedule given the magnitude of the situation. I'm not sure what you mean about 'talking with the NFL for awhile.' The owners just voted to accept Nike's proposal like, 5 days ago. I don't know how much they could have gotten in the works in 5 days.

I don't agree with that, but I could see there maybe being a big push to get something done ahead of schedule given the magnitude of the situation. I'm not sure what you mean about 'talking with the NFL for awhile.' The owners just voted to accept Nike's proposal like, 5 days ago. I don't know how much they could have gotten in the works in 5 days.

I mean Nike didn't decide last week that they wanted to try and get the NFL uniforms. We've known since 2002 that Reebok's contract would be up in 2012...not that Nike's been planning for that long, but I'm sure they have been planning for a few months in anticipation of proposing an offer.

I must say, while I also put my vote that the stripes will stay on the shoulder, I like the idea also. For me, I put my vote towards Nike coming up with a brand new jersey template all together and not bringing Pro Combat over. I could also see them designing third or fourth-color undershirts . IIRC, most long-sleeved undershirts are currently the same color as one of the team jerseys. (Check out the Packers in long sleeves, for instance. They have an official green undershirt for the roads and white for the homes). My point is I could see Nike making it part of their package, selling teams on the idea of the third or fourth color undershirt for cold-weather games. I think the Giants home and road set would look good with red undershirts, and that the Packers home set would look even better with a yellow one. Small change, I know. Just one idea I could see Nike doing. Granted, the undershirts would probably have some mesh, design or piping that ruined them, but hey, it's Nike.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I mean Nike didn't decide last week that they wanted to try and get the NFL uniforms. We've known since 2002 that Reebok's contract would be up in 2012...not that Nike's been planning for that long, but I'm sure they have been planning for a few months in anticipation of proposing an offer.

Oh, yeah. I'm sure they've been putting the proposal together for the last several months, but there probably wasn't a whole lot of design involved in the proposal (mostly financials). I thought you were implying that Nike's been talking with the NFL for a few years, as if they were in cahoots to hand the uniform contract over after Reebok's deal was done.

Here's a version with the stripes up on the jersey. Not optimum, obviously, but we should be used to that by now.

procombat_packers.jpg

procombat_packers.jpg

I like the two concepts you make, but is almost impossible make the linemen an undershirt.

So, no more TV numbers.

At least for the first season, maybe after that nike can introduce they "new" shirts slowly.

dragonssignature.gif

Im from Costa Rica...so i dont have a huge english level...understand me

:rolleyes:

I am a Browns fan and I would love to see a logo on their helmet. Maybe a alternate uniform with white helmets.

spacer.png

I like the two concepts you make, but is almost impossible make the linemen an undershirt.

So, no more TV numbers.

At least for the first season, maybe after that nike can introduce they "new" shirts slowly.

TV numbers are required by the league, so however they do it, the TV numbers will be there.

So, no more TV numbers.

TV numbers are required by the league, so however they do it, the TV numbers will be there.

TV numbers wouldn't be a problem. For teams without sleeve stripes they would go on the sleeves (look at TCU), and if there are stripes the numbers would go on the shoulders, just like it is now. I'm sure we won't be seeing NFL teams with the crazy plant stitching on the shoulders :P

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that linemen don't wear shirts under their pads, but that notion is false. Linemen wear a shirt under their pads just as much as any other position. I would go as far to say that 95% of any given team wear an undershirt.

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that linemen don't wear shirts under their pads, but that notion is false. Linemen wear a shirt under their pads just as much as any other position. I would go as far to say that 95% of any given team wear an undershirt.

Ok, But "almost" all the linemen use a compression sleeveless jersey.

09000d5d81240992_gallery_600.jpg

PD: I found this old article of ESPN about the "weird" reebok jerseys

dragonssignature.gif

Im from Costa Rica...so i dont have a huge english level...understand me

:rolleyes:

Archived