Rebranding the NHL

JackFr

Starting a series for you nice people. This is the first in a series of all 30 teams.

ANAHEIM DUCKS

Colours:

AnaheimDucksColours.png

I wanted to duck away from the BFBS that the ducks have. I also at the same time wanted to respect their history without overpowering their new design. I chose Dark Blue, Dark Teal, Gold, and Grey as their colours, in that that order. There are nods to past Ducks designs in the logo and jerseys. The jerseys are a nod to the past as the Mighty Ducks. I wanted the logo to have crossed hockey sticks like the old MD logo, one notch in each stick representing the Stanley Cup win (a la Islanders), and to pay respect to the franchise's origins, a flying V. But enough chit-chat.

AnaheimDucksSecondary2vector.png

AnaheimDucksJersey.png

Comments and Criticisms please.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making a return after a long hiatus from the boards, this seems like a good place to start.

What I Like:

- The color choice. Unique among NHL teams, heck, all teams in the big 4 sports.

- The double outline on the numbers. Matches the jersey striping, nuff said.

What I would Improve:

- The duck primary logo. I like to give kudos when someone does a brand new rendering, since I can't draw on any medium. For now, it's not working. You have what I think is supposed to be a fierce-looking eye on a decidedly non-fierce duck. Short of telling you to try again, I'll base my comments assuming you would keep this duck. The gray shadows are a bit incosistent; why do the left and right wings have shadows but on the left tail feathers? I might suggest dropping gray altogether and tipping all the wings in green for definition. There's way too much orange here, especially if there main colors are, as you said, supposed to be green and navy. I'd make the stroke on the outline of the duck consistent and change the circle outline pattern from orange-navy orange to green-orange-navy, which would also match your jersey striping better.

- The A with hockey sticks. This could be a fantastic idea if it's reworked into a secondary logo, possibly as a shoulder logo. Right now, it looks like your duck is wearing suspenders or a backpack. I may remove it from the primary logo entirely and try to incorporate a wordmark or at least a stronger A in its place.

- The jersey striping. The live are fine, if a bit standard, but the bottom is a no-go. It would make more sense if your duck was flying upwards from left to right, but as it is now, I'd go with straight or even curved striping on the bottom, to fit the circular shape of the primary. The slope also comes way too close to the numbers on the back for my taste.

Overall, you may have something here with the colors. I'd like to see if with a wordmark, and then, a number font that matches said wordmark. Don't forget to at least consider TV numbers and a secondary logo fdown the road, but good start and good luck!

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Wow, thanks for your input. It's great to get comments that I can really use.

I think I would keep the Duck; When I started I had to choose whether I wanted an angry duck (and run the risk of being cartoony) or just a classy non-fierce logo. Everyone's seen the angry duck a billion times, I thought I'd go for the classy look.

I visualized your striping and a-dropping duck. It's not vectorized, but here's the gist:

anaheimducks2variation.png

Also, do you think I should rotate the duck to match the striping (assuming I drop the A)?

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Something about the ring bothers me. The duck has potential, but I'd try to do something with the space on the ducks chest. The thick ring behind the duck seems to take away from it. I'd maybe minimize the ring or completely put the ring around the duck. It just gives me a duck hunt vibe where a reticule is around it, which obviously isn't encouraging for anyone wearing the sweater. I'd blow up the A-sticks on the shoulder for sure, maybe integrate some kind of word mark or pour more love into the duck to make it pop as a stand-alone logo.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

looks far too similar to Sigma Kappas duck for my liking...

the markings on the neck, the highlights on the the top of the wings and the highlight on one side of the tail (not to mention the circle logo version.)

would lead me to think this is far too close to be a coincidence...

AnaheimDucksConcept.png

I remember that from a tournament somewhere, but I haven't seen that logo since. I'm sorry to SK if this looks too close. And other than basic shape and shading pattern it's not too similar. It's a pretty basic shape for a bird logo, and I think the only thing that might be derivative is the top wing shading, because it seemed familiar when I was rendering it.

I hope no one thinks I stole a logo, because I respect the people on this board too much to consciously rip off a design.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Actually the updated primary one is very good. The only thing that needs fixed is the eye. I would suggest a more intimidating eye because the current one looks like it's squinting.

I can see resembles in SK's logo and yours. I would suggest to try and use another color scheme.

Unfortunately I don't think I can make the A look any better without actually ripping off SK.

Anyway, I'm moving onto Atlanta for the time being.

Hey, I don't have a problem with the Ducks at all. I give it (**)(**)(**)(**)(*) . I love the unique colour scheme. Looking forward to ATL.

25yzwqg.png

Making a return after a long hiatus from the boards, this seems like a good place to start.

What I Like:

- The color choice. Unique among NHL teams, heck, all teams in the big 4 sports.

- The double outline on the numbers. Matches the jersey striping, nuff said.

What I would Improve:

- The duck primary logo. I like to give kudos when someone does a brand new rendering, since I can't draw on any medium. For now, it's not working. You have what I think is supposed to be a fierce-looking eye on a decidedly non-fierce duck. Short of telling you to try again, I'll base my comments assuming you would keep this duck. The gray shadows are a bit incosistent; why do the left and right wings have shadows but on the left tail feathers? I might suggest dropping gray altogether and tipping all the wings in green for definition. There's way too much orange here, especially if there main colors are, as you said, supposed to be green and navy. I'd make the stroke on the outline of the duck consistent and change the circle outline pattern from orange-navy orange to green-orange-navy, which would also match your jersey striping better.

- The A with hockey sticks. This could be a fantastic idea if it's reworked into a secondary logo, possibly as a shoulder logo. Right now, it looks like your duck is wearing suspenders or a backpack. I may remove it from the primary logo entirely and try to incorporate a wordmark or at least a stronger A in its place.

- The jersey striping. The live are fine, if a bit standard, but the bottom is a no-go. It would make more sense if your duck was flying upwards from left to right, but as it is now, I'd go with straight or even curved striping on the bottom, to fit the circular shape of the primary. The slope also comes way too close to the numbers on the back for my taste.

Overall, you may have something here with the colors. I'd like to see if with a wordmark, and then, a number font that matches said wordmark. Don't forget to at least consider TV numbers and a secondary logo fdown the road, but good start and good luck!

Somehow, I prefer the old 'aubergine and teal' color scheme.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Good time for comments to spike.

ATLANTA THRASHERS (logos only)

I'm having trouble uploading the jerseys, so I'll follow this up later.

I wanted to limit the amount of colours this team has, so I chose four here (using brown for depth):

AtlantaThashersColours.png

The logos were interesting to make. I wanted to incorporate the past instead of creating a brand new look, so I re-drew the flying thrasher and use curves to make it look sleeker. The secondary was me basically trying to make a solid shoulder. And I had the tertiary on the drawing board for primary, and I liked it enough to keep it on as a third.

AltantaThrashersLogoSet.png

Loving the comments so far, keep it up.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

I am McLovin' the color choice. More blue is what the Thrashers need. That being said, the tertiary logo reminds me of a blue jay for some very odd reason. And I'm not quite sold on the secondary logo, the white thrasher outline under the A seems forced. Nothing else is wrong here. Minty!

Really like the primary and secondary. The light blue on the 'A' almost makes it look like the 'A' is made of glass, and the dark blue that's visible is the dark blue from the inside of the background circle.

The tertiary is just... erm... it looks half-finished and doesn't compare to the other two. There's no 'depth brown', the outlines are all different thicknesses, and the dark/light/dark/light/dark/etc stripes on the bird's face just look weird.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I am McLovin' the color choice. More blue is what the Thrashers need. That being said, the tertiary logo reminds me of a blue jay for some very odd reason. And I'm not quite sold on the secondary logo, the white thrasher outline under the A seems forced. Nothing else is wrong here. Minty!

Well that's an interseting choice of words. But as aci said, the tertiary needs some work.

25yzwqg.png

Archived