Which country has the coolest currency design?

fonz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Antarctica even have stores? They're not allowed to have industrialized places, (cities, towns, etc.). Just military bases. I don't see why they need currency.

I like Canada's.

5front.jpg

I went to the Montreal Centre de Sciences and they had this exibition on glass. It turns out that strip seen above is actually made of glass (for security reasons).

EDIT: It turns out Argentina's money not legal tender.

Although the bills are not legal tender in Antarctica nor any other continent or nation, the issuing company will "honor them for their face value throughout their validity period."

So, basically, they're collecters items.

25yzwqg.png

My vote is for Antarctica:

antarctican-dollar.jpg

Is that even real? Why would Antarctica have a currency or a reason for it?

They're for collectors. Many small and obscure nations (not really the same analogy, because Antarctica isn't a nation) create elaborate commemorative coins to sell to collectors, for nothing else than to generate income.

Here's a coin with an actual pearl.

Coin+with+natural+pearls+%28Mariana+Islands%291.jpg

And one with Albert Einstein...

Coin+with+the+changing+image+of+%C2%ABAlbert+Einstein%C2%BB+%28Mariana+Islands%2928.jpg

...that shifts into this:

Coin+with+the+changing+image+of+%C2%ABAlbert+Einstein%C2%BB+%28Mariana+Islands%2929.jpg

Here's a sundial.

1251474128_32.jpg

aaand a coin shaped like Australia that is actually from Tuvalu.

1251474117_52.jpg

Basically, there's some :censored: ing ridiculous :censored: .

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Is it just me or does America have the most UNcool currency out there? I mean obviously some people really love the classic green notes, but we're not really green anymore, within 20 years we'll be telling each other stories about how money used to be green while kids stuff their wallets with bills that look like a magic eye puzzle.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

EDIT: It turns out Argentina's money not legal tender.

I believe you meant Antarctica, but I laughed because I remember a time when you could have argued your statement to be true. Throughout the 90s, the Dutch parent company of my then-employer went on a global buying spree. They bought several Latin American grocery chains along the way. Then, 2002 I think, the Argentine Peso tanked versus the Euro. While the stores there were enjoying record sales, the company's debt tied to those stores was all in Euros, and the revenue they generated wasn't worth squat toward paying it down.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Does Antarctica even have stores? They're not allowed to have industrialized places, (cities, towns, etc.). Just military bases. I don't see why they need currency.

It's forbidden having military bases in Antarctica due to the Antarctic Treaty. Sure, you can find military crew there but they accompany scientists.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

If we are talking about coins, I must go with my old, reliable Swiss coins... :hockeysmiley:

499px-CHF_coins.jpg

Sure, they haven't got any glamour if we are talking about design. But Switzerland has some of the best designed banknotes. Did you know that Swiss use to call a design contest every 15-20 years? So let's go to Wikipedia to watch the current and past Swiss banknotes.

swiss-design06.jpg

As long as I'm living in Argentina, it's funny watching those changes of money (and its design). Since 1980, I remember 4 (FOUR) currencies: Peso Ley 18.188, Peso Argentino, Austral and the current Peso. There is more to watch at Wiki again.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Is it just me or does America have the most UNcool currency out there? I mean obviously some people really love the classic green notes, but we're not really green anymore, within 20 years we'll be telling each other stories about how money used to be green while kids stuff their wallets with bills that look like a magic eye puzzle.

In 20 years we'll have retinal scanning that automatically withdraws money from our accounts.

Honestly, I never thought about it until now. Our money is kind of ugly.

Also, about the counterfeit thing. One of my "friends" bought $100 in fake money off of eBay and actually was able to spend all of it without getting caught. If a dumbass high school student can get away with it, most people probably can too.

Archived