Which country has the coolest currency design?

fonz

Is it just me or does America have the most UNcool currency out there? I mean obviously some people really love the classic green notes, but we're not really green anymore, within 20 years we'll be telling each other stories about how money used to be green while kids stuff their wallets with bills that look like a magic eye puzzle.

In 20 years we'll have retinal scanning that automatically withdraws money from our accounts.

This will be a non-working system for most human beings: the blind ones.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or does America have the most UNcool currency out there? I mean obviously some people really love the classic green notes, but we're not really green anymore, within 20 years we'll be telling each other stories about how money used to be green while kids stuff their wallets with bills that look like a magic eye puzzle.

In 20 years we'll have retinal scanning that automatically withdraws money from our accounts.

Not only that, but it will encourage criminals to pop out the eyes of their victims in order to steal their money.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not only that, but it will encourage criminals to pop out the eyes of their victims in order to steal their money.

Operation: Oedipus.

I saw, I came, I left.

Of course, the irony with the US dollar is that it is so slow to trickle in anti-counterfeit measures, but at the same time, the Federal Reserve doesn't retire the old currency. So, what does it matter what the new ones look like when you can just keep on counterfeiting the old ones?

VmWIn6B.png

There's a website/blog out there devoted to redesigning the US Dollar/notes and showing possible designs. My favorite out of the first ten pages:

Brian_Richard_100_small.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1289823745&Signature=w%2BdANl8CREDrHx21DzGGP0PCA64%3D

More here.

This would be my favourite of the bunch.

Dollars-2040.jpg

Similar to the traditional greenback, yet it still brings American currency into the 21st century. Even if the design itself is a little rough.

Anyway I find it laughable people want a President who hasn't even finished his first term on currency. Obama's going to be the Democratic Regan isn't he? Not that I don't like the guy, but putting him on the money? It's a little early/presumptuous for that isn't it?

Though I will say that Martin Luther King Jr. definitely deserves to be on something.

Though I will say that Martin Luther King Jr. definitely deserves to be on something.

We've had the whole who-deserves-to-be-on-what debate before.

To start it again ^_^ I'm a traditionalist (meaning, I'm fine with who's on what right now) but definitely wouldn't be opposed to a change. I don't like the idea of having anyone living on our money, in fact, I think they should be dead at least 50 years before we even think about it. (MLK on the $50 in 2018?)

I'd be in favor of swapping out Grant for MLK, and Andrew Jackson for Thomas Edison.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Cruiseeyes-300x225.jpg

"Hello, Mr. Yakamoto, welcome back to the Gap. How'd those assorted tank tops work out for you?"

• 2 weeks later...

There's a website/blog out there devoted to redesigning the US Dollar/notes and showing possible designs. My favorite out of the first ten pages:

Brian_Richard_100_small.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1289823745&Signature=w%2BdANl8CREDrHx21DzGGP0PCA64%3D

More here.

This would be my favourite of the bunch.

Dollars-2040.jpg

Similar to the traditional greenback, yet it still brings American currency into the 21st century. Even if the design itself is a little rough.

Anyway I find it laughable people want a President who hasn't even finished his first term on currency. Obama's going to be the Democratic Regan isn't he? Not that I don't like the guy, but putting him on the money? It's a little early/presumptuous for that isn't it?

Clearly they're not going on merit. :P

Agree about MLK being on something but not sure about taking somebody else off to do it. That's like the renaming of the Atlanta airport, it was Hartsfield then was changed to Hartsfield-Jackson to honor Maynard Jackson, Atlanta's first black mayor. Once something's named for someone, it should stay named for them unless some extenuating circumstance comes to light. For example, no one would support taking MLK's name off something to put Reagan's on, so it should have stayed Hartsfield. The new international terminal is also being named for Maynard Jackson.

AJC cartoonist Mike Luckovich suggested an amusing compromise: in a cartoon, he depicted the ATL terminal with a sign on it reading "Numerous Dead Mayors of Atlanta International Airport." ^_^

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The 3rd place was definitely the best. The above is way too busy- why do we need the ENTIRE declaration of independence on it?

Busy usually means harder to counterfeit.

Agree about MLK being on something but not sure about taking somebody else off to do it.

Take FDR off the dime.

I think selling advertising space on the currency is the way to go... how about a company spending $10 million to have their corporate logo on a million $1 bills. Wouldn't that basically be paying for itself and turning a profit?

Or do what Hong Kong does and license certain banks to print money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_Hong_Kong_dollar

I saw, I came, I left.

The 3rd place was definitely the best. The above is way too busy- why do we need the ENTIRE declaration of independence on it?

Agree about MLK being on something but not sure about taking somebody else off to do it.

Take FDR off the dime.

Actually, I'd reserve a person's image being on our money as a special honor reserved to past Presidents. This would mean taking Franklin off the $100.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Take FDR off the dime.

Actually, I'd reserve a person's image being on our money as a special honor reserved to past Presidents. This would mean taking Franklin off the $100.

No way man. All about the Chesters? No thanks.

Take FDR off the dime.

There's always Benjamin Harrison.

spacer.png

Take FDR off the dime.

Major Accomplishments While in Office:

1) Lived the required four years.

Take FDR off the dime.

Major Accomplishments While in Office:

1) Lived the required four years.

Hey, he lasted 47 months longer than his grandfather. That's gotta count for something.

spacer.png

• 4 years later...

Just put together this display of some notes I've collected over the past couple of years (just missed having a Lat but they went euro this year). Was searching the web for cool currencies and this topic came up - totally forgot about it! Also makes me wish I kept some pesos and CND from when I was younger - no idea if/when I'll get back to Mexico or Canada

ZAxK32x.jpg

Edit: the polymer HKD is too slick for the frame so I had to use painters tape to create enough friction so it wouldn't slide.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived