1994 NFL Throwbacks

CoasterLine

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually managed to find footage of Packers/Patriots and the Packers/Bears Halloween '94 game on YouTube a few years ago. The videos have since disappeared. That Packers/Bears game was the first NFL game I ever recall seeing on television at the age of 4. That was a weird way to get started. Pouring rain, throwbacks, people in the crowd wearing Halloween masks. Pretty sure it's why I even post here these days.

bSLCtu2.png

60806_01_lg_zpsc26e4430.jpg

The name font may be wrong on the Klingler jersey. I don't know that they always used the same font during that era, but I don't think they ever used that one. I could be wrong, though.

It's hard to find photos of the backs of those jerseys, but here are some for comparison:

VirgilColts.0.jpg

greg_cook2.jpg

louis-breeden-autographed-8x10-photo-cin

Kind of surprised HGI hasn't come up with a modern answer to make the Bengals' helmets easier to finish. Those old "BENGALS" helmets are pretty cool for some reason, but they just can't beat the tiger stripes.

And the fonts on the 1994 throwbacks were usually the fonts of the jersey supplier. The Pats used their 1994 Apex font. And the Jets used the Champion number font for their throwbacks.

It's good to see the old Bengals helmets getting some love.

L.A. Raiders

raider94.jpg

Same throwbacks as used in 2009, a very strong overall throwback. I like this over their current set.

They got the helmet logo wrong in 1994. The original one had a silver background in the shield, not white. I think they got it right in 2009.

L.A. Raiders

raider94.jpg

Same throwbacks as used in 2009, a very strong overall throwback. I like this over their current set.

They got the helmet logo wrong in 1994. The original one had a silver background in the shield, not white. I think they got it right in 2009.

They also got the wrong numbers in '94, the outline should have been a thick black, which helped visibility. The only thing they messed up on the 2009 version was that the swords should've been inside the shield and not sticking out of it.

Zqvxipa.jpg

The Raiders had a whopping 3 different away uniforms in that 1963 season, so it's no wonder that it's hard to find info on.

bSLCtu2.png

I think everyone called that bust from a mile away to the point where most Bengals fans don't really care about David Klingler ruining the team because everybody in the organization was ruining the team in those days. UH threw the ball like crazy back then and nobody learned their lesson from Andre Ware. Klingler's college numbers were more inflated than the goodyear blimp.

On top of that the Bengals of that time were one of the most poorly run organizations in the history of the NFL. Mike Brown was just learning how to destroy a fanbase and so he, the son of a legendary head coach, hired Dave Shula, another son of a legendary head coach, and together they were awful. I firmly believe he only hired Dave Shula because he was Don Shula's kid. They went 19-52 over 4 and a half seasons together. Also, Klingler had no talent around him, a terrible post-Munoz offensive line, and no stars in any of the skill positions. It's not entirely his fault, but 4-20 record as starter wasn't good. He was out of the NFL within two years of leaving Cincinnati.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Since the helmets use the same orange it shouldn't be an issue. We all know the one helmet rule is BS anyways. how many helmets does a single player go through in a year?

"I was disappointed the Bengals and Dolphins weren't included the AFL throwback series a few years ago because I really wanted to see the Bengals in throwback uniforms. I'm looking forward to a day when the Bengals are allowed to wear these throwbacks again, but with the painting of their stripes and the NFL's one helmet rule that may not happen any time soon."

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Since the helmets use the same orange it shouldn't be an issue. We all know the one helmet rule is BS anyways. how many helmets does a single player go through in a year?

"I was disappointed the Bengals and Dolphins weren't included the AFL throwback series a few years ago because I really wanted to see the Bengals in throwback uniforms. I'm looking forward to a day when the Bengals are allowed to wear these throwbacks again, but with the painting of their stripes and the NFL's one helmet rule that may not happen any time soon."

It would be an issue since the stripes are painted on.

I think we've had a debate on that before...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/77102-helmet-decals/page-1

You can find images that clearly show the stripes (at least in some cases) are decals.

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

decal_118.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of ordering a set of blank helmets to stick the BENGALS decals on.

I agree the rule is stupid, but if the stripes are painted on, and I'm pretty sure they are, then that's their one and only helmet they're allowed to use and then can't just strip paint. They're not allowed to order another set of blank helmets regardless of the color in that case. The Bengals don't have an orange helmet, they have a tiger striped helmet that can't be anything else other than tiger stripes. If they used blank orange helmets and applied tiger stripe decals then it would be a different story. Follow?

If the Dolphins want to wear a throwback they can because their throwback helmet is the same color as their current helmet, but the Bengals would either have to go back to decals so they have blank orange shells, or the NFL has to change the one helmet rule.

I have no idea what's going on with TO's helmet and why he has decals when it's clear most players have a paint job. I think they use decals in a pinch when a player needs a new helmet, but they don't have time to spray one up.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think we've had a debate on that before...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/77102-helmet-decals/page-1

You can find images that clearly show the stripes (at least in some cases) are decals.

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

decal_118.jpg

I wonder if that would be a case where a player brings a helmet that they used while playing with another team? Like they re-painted and applied decals? Seems a little far fetched, but it just seems weird that some are painted, and some aren't.

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I finally found a larger photo of the Bengals' throwbacks.

I can remember being 7 years old watching that game against the Patriots with my dad and it may have kicked off my obsession with sports uniforms (it bothered me that the Jets and Bills were supposed to wear white helmets, but cheaped out and just used their regular colored helmets). For all I knew the Bengals had always worn tiger stripes, but he explained their uniform past to me. I was enthralled. But until today I could never find a picture of their throwbacks other than that one football card.

So I don't know if this will kickstart more discussion on this, but here's the Bengals 1994 throwbacks.

81875384_zpsb6cf4802.jpgpatrio10.jpg

60806_01_lg_zpsc26e4430.jpg81875246-1_zpsb2b6c655.jpg

When I was at the Hall of Fame in Canton they had one of these throwback Bengals helmets and a story next to it about how the Bengals equipment manager had to strip and clean every helmet of the tiger stripe decals and apply the BENGALS decals to 60+ helmets and what an arduous task that was. This may have been the reason they only wore their throwbacks once while some teams used theirs for a few more games. Impossible these days as the Bengals have used painted tiger stripes for the last 15 years or so.

It's an attractive, albeit boring, football uniform. The black facemasks are incorrect unless they were throwing back to 1980, the one year that helmet had a black facemask (but that year they also had TV numbers on the shoulders and the striping was different so black facemasks are out of place here). I'm not 100% if that's the right number font, in fact I think they used their regular Champion font. It's interesting to me that they used the white-orange-white sleeve striping when most of the time the Bengals wore sleeve stripes that had black separating the orange and white stripes. I think it was only the less often worn long sleeve jerseys that used the white-orange-white stripes. Seen here:

ken_anderson_1973_12_09.jpg

vs

a078a15413fce0089d358836b60c3a010313bbee

Those sock stripes are beautiful, though

I was disappointed the Bengals and Dolphins weren't included the AFL throwback series a few years ago because I really wanted to see the Bengals in throwback uniforms. I'm looking forward to a day when the Bengals are allowed to wear these throwbacks again, but with the painting of their stripes and the NFL's one helmet rule that may not happen any time soon.

The TV numbers on the 1980 Bengals uniform were actually on the sleeve. It seems awkward, at least in the NFL, to see a jersey w/no TV numbers (unless it's a retro jersey design).

UBwef0L.png

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I finally found a larger photo of the Bengals' throwbacks.

I can remember being 7 years old watching that game against the Patriots with my dad and it may have kicked off my obsession with sports uniforms (it bothered me that the Jets and Bills were supposed to wear white helmets, but cheaped out and just used their regular colored helmets). For all I knew the Bengals had always worn tiger stripes, but he explained their uniform past to me. I was enthralled. But until today I could never find a picture of their throwbacks other than that one football card.

So I don't know if this will kickstart more discussion on this, but here's the Bengals 1994 throwbacks.

PHOTOS REMOVED

When I was at the Hall of Fame in Canton they had one of these throwback Bengals helmets and a story next to it about how the Bengals equipment manager had to strip and clean every helmet of the tiger stripe decals and apply the BENGALS decals to 60+ helmets and what an arduous task that was. This may have been the reason they only wore their throwbacks once while some teams used theirs for a few more games. Impossible these days as the Bengals have used painted tiger stripes for the last 15 years or so.

It's an attractive, albeit boring, football uniform. The black facemasks are incorrect unless they were throwing back to 1980, the one year that helmet had a black facemask (but that year they also had TV numbers on the shoulders and the striping was different so black facemasks are out of place here). I'm not 100% if that's the right number font, in fact I think they used their regular Champion font. It's interesting to me that they used the white-orange-white sleeve striping when most of the time the Bengals wore sleeve stripes that had black separating the orange and white stripes. I think it was only the less often worn long sleeve jerseys that used the white-orange-white stripes. Seen here:

Those sock stripes are beautiful, though

I was disappointed the Bengals and Dolphins weren't included the AFL throwback series a few years ago because I really wanted to see the Bengals in throwback uniforms. I'm looking forward to a day when the Bengals are allowed to wear these throwbacks again, but with the painting of their stripes and the NFL's one helmet rule that may not happen any time soon.

The TV numbers on the 1980 Bengals uniform were actually on the sleeve. It seems awkward, at least in the NFL, to see a jersey w/no TV numbers (unless it's a retro jersey design).

I think the NFL's had a rule that all current jerseys must have TV numbers since that year and that's why the Bengals added them. Otherwise they would've probably soldiered on as is until the 1981 stripes update.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 years later...

I'm bringing this thread back because I found highlights from Week 3 of that season where almost every single team wore a throwback uniform. Doesn't have the Sunday Night or Monday Night games but it definitely is fun to see how this all looked. Chris Berman even tells the viewer about what year the uniforms are from.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived