jersey makers logos on NFL jerseys

smith03

so how many of these companies actually manufactured the uniforms as opposed to keeping the same manufacturer and slapping a new logo on it?

None, so far as I know.

Ripon made (makes?) all on-field jerseys, to the specs of the manufacturer, going back a while.

I don't know what the breakdown is now, or if there is exclusivity, but Ripon hasn't been the sole manufacturer of NFL jerseys in the last decade. The old Champion plant in New York, reborn as American Classic Outfitters, has produced jerseys for NFL and NBA teams in recent years. A story from 2002 mentions some of the specific team names:

Wilson has traditionally manufactured their stuff in-house, too. I believe they are doing alot of outsourced work for Under Armour's college stuff right now. Check out the video on their site about their uniform factory and at the 1:27 and 2:03 marks you can see Arizona Cardinals jerseys they made complete with Reebok vectors.

Timmy B

Do you have any info as to why the Vikings used both Wilson and Reebok in the early 90s. I don't recall seeing reebok's logo

smith03,

That should have said RUSSELL and not Reebok. My bad and I revised the listing.

As to why a dual usage? I really don't know.

One item, unrelated to the Vikings deal.

I think the NFL's exclusive contract with Reebok actually started in 2001 as opposed to 2002. However, Adidas had agreements with several teams (at least the Redskins, Buccaneers, Patriots off the top of my head) that ran thru 2001. I guess the NFL decided to honor that and once the Adidas agreements ended, then Reebok took over those teams.

Archived