University of Michigan (Wolverine logo)

JJSCOTT

I have been wanting to work up a actual Michigan logo that uses a wolverine for a while... the new Big Chill weasel finally got me goin though.

Here are a couple I worked up that are just kinda plain right now... I am working to try and incorporate the winged design from the helmets as well.

I wanna add some more shading to them I think but...

I am having trouble trying to work with the color scheme set up though... any suggestions? I wanna stay away from using off colors like brown and black though.

Any other suggestions? Should I focus on tweaking the right or left or go back to the drawing board? Just head or more to it?

Untitled-4.pngUntitled-3.png

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are a couple of the Wolverine logos Michigan has used years ago that may help generate some suggestions or ideas.As well as the one in my avatar that is what they are using for the special Big Chill game jersey

wolverinelogo.jpgWolverinelogothrowback.png

I'm getting too much of an "anime" feel from #2 and #4 because of the super stylized mouth, but I think #3 has a lot of potential if you try to get a more accurate snarl. I like the light yellow band of patterning on the forehead. That's unique and well done. :)

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

I really like the one on the far right, but would recommend getting some darker strokes or shadows on the inside of the face. You could try shadowing around the eyes and perhaps making a more prominent or growling mouth. Lastly, you may want to lighten up the highlight some more. I like the correlation to the "wings", but it may get lost on some mediums...lightening it will also help contrast and break up the color on the face.

LOTS of potential here...and this is coming from a rabid Buckeye fan.

BuckeyesRetroFlagSm.pngFindlayRetroFlagSm.pngBrownsRetroFlagSm.png

I really like the one on the far right, but would recommend getting some darker strokes or shadows on the inside of the face. You could try shadowing around the eyes and perhaps making a more prominent or growling mouth. Lastly, you may want to lighten up the highlight some more. I like the correlation to the "wings", but it may get lost on some mediums...lightening it will also help contrast and break up the color on the face.

LOTS of potential here...and this is coming from a rabid Buckeye fan.

Thanks you had me until i read buckeye fan :P

I am working to to add more to it... this was just a quick outline and flats.

any suggestions on how i should approach the colors?

The mouth still needs more emotion. As for the light yellow highlights, I think they would be better if they were white. The light yellow looks out of place. Lastly, the navy blue outline around the wolverine should probably be thicker, to give the figure a darker, more intimidating feel.

lil more tweaking changed the ears and added a thicker navy outline.

here it is with the white highlights as suggested... its not bad but i think is too much white for a Michigan logo and to me takes away from the idea of the winged design incorporated on the head. dunno what do you guys think?

wolverine3.png

wolverinewht.png

This is really coming along, JJ. The helmet design on the forehead is genious, kudos on that. The only thing that is preventing this piece form being perfect is the fact that it doesn't immediately come off as a wolverine, but as some sort of bear, like dmhtfld had pointed out. I think you made the wolverine a bit too bulky, especially in the snout area.

thanks CJ. yeah a wolverine is kinda a hard animal to do because it looks so much like a mini bear and isn't as widely used. I will thin out the snout a bit and see what happens. I am considering doing a full body logo as well using this as part once I feel I pushed this to its limit. my concern there is the wing design will become such a minor part but maybe it will be more immediately recognized as a wolverine. give and take i guess.

thanks for all the comments guys... its really helping to keep me tweeking it. I am a huge Michigan fan so this is a concept I really wanna push to be as good as I can make it!

First of all, I HATE HATE HATE HATE MICHIGAN!!! And it burns my soul to even look at this, but its pretty legit. The main things I see about it is its doing the Kobe face, and underbiting. Maybe if you moved the teeth around to side of the face, or flipped them to the top. oh and Michigan sucks OSKEE WOW WOW

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eo2Equ6rnIk/ShkUcEWS30I/AAAAAAAAEt0/NjOezlAUw8w/s400/kobe3.bmp

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

First of all, I HATE HATE HATE HATE MICHIGAN!!! And it burns my soul to even look at this, but its pretty legit. The main things I see about it is its doing the Kobe face, and underbiting. Maybe if you moved the teeth around to side of the face, or flipped them to the top. oh and Michigan sucks OSKEE WOW WOW

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eo2Equ6rnIk/ShkUcEWS30I/AAAAAAAAEt0/NjOezlAUw8w/s400/kobe3.bmp

First of all,

I HATE HATE HATE people who think they have to bash the team that the concept is about, just because they'd like that to be known. And comparison to Kobe Bryant? Nice.

/rant

I like the way the wolverine is progressing, but I agree, it look too much like a bear, maybe think about shortening (squashing, essentially) the head a bit?

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

Archived