three LA football stadium concepts released

ONUV

the other one came later, and the creator thinks this is the right one. He asked for that one to be gravemined. In any case, I think one IS THE BEST. Three looks too LA Glam or something(when it should look football). The first one has a cool idea because its open air, and like Qwest Field has that cool half roof thing. The second... is it in the same location? Right next to Staples, etc? If so, I see no point for this crazy designed thing. I love when football stadiums just have that great feel that there is FOOOOTBALL!!!!! inside, not champagne. This is how I feel about football:

FOOTBALL! I want to see a defined bowl, where the gridiron where go down. Big banners and statues of team logos. People walking in in jerseys not suites. All three feel very elegant, which isnt what you want to see. I mean the new Meadowlands stadium is NICE but still a stadium for EXPLOSIONS AND FOOTBALL. So I guess this is the best, but something else would just be better.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I know I am just being paranoid, but I really hope this LA idea doesn't go through, because I am a Panther fan, and with them being the worst team in the league, has the possibility of relocation.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

I know I am just being paranoid, but I really hope this LA idea doesn't go through, because I am a Panther fan, and with them being the worst team in the league, has the possibility of relocation.

On-field records have nothing to do with relocation. As long as Carolina has a stable stadium situation they're staying put.

The front-runners for relocation are the Vikings, Chargers, Bills, Jaguars, and Rams.

I am in my third of year of architecture school right now. That doesn't give me much more credibility than anyone on this board, but I have been looking at and experiencing a lot of architecture in my time here.

The photos on the site aren't great at communicating exactly what's going on, especially in the second design. While that plan is obviously very ambitious and exciting, I want to know what's happening INSIDE the stadium. If that roof structure creates diagonal shadows on the field, it's going to be a disaster. While versatility is key, this venue has to make sense in regards to hosting an NFL game.

The third design (HNTB) is Lucas Oil Stadium but without the material flaws. The glass is a plus but on the interior view it looks like they enclosed a Pac 10 college stadium in fancy glass and curtain walls.

The first design, based on these photos, seems to make the most sense. There is an emphasis on versatility and relates well to the adjacent Staples Center. The roof system, as illustrated, leaves some ambiguity but once again they're not showing us the full presentations. Something tells me there were better proposals out there that weren't selected.

I prefer the third design, honestly. It's got a unique, vibrant, energetic feel and flow that LA is known for, But it still looks like a place to play football. The first one is a close second. Either design would be good options. But please it better not be the second one. That thing is so weird looking. That glowing wall is just dumb, The opening is oddly shapened, and it just looks like a place for a night club, not a football game. So here's the breakdown-

Option 1- 4 1/2 (**)

Option 2- 1 1/2 (**)

option 3- 5 (**)

Oakland Raiders World Champions 1976 1980 1983

Oakland A's world champions 1910 1911 1913 1929 1930 1972 1973 1974 1989

Golden State Warriors world champions 1947 1956 1975

San Jose Sabercats Arena Bowl Champions 2002 2004 2007

oak1-med.gifgold1-med.gifathletics1-med.gifsharks1-med.gif

The photos on the site aren't great at communicating exactly what's going on, especially in the second design. While that plan is obviously very ambitious and exciting, I want to know what's happening INSIDE the stadium. If that roof structure creates diagonal shadows on the field, it's going to be a disaster. While versatility is key, this venue has to make sense in regards to hosting an NFL game.

The third design (HNTB) is Lucas Oil Stadium but without the material flaws. The glass is a plus but on the interior view it looks like they enclosed a Pac 10 college stadium in fancy glass and curtain walls.

The first design, based on these photos, seems to make the most sense. There is an emphasis on versatility and relates well to the adjacent Staples Center. The roof system, as illustrated, leaves some ambiguity but once again they're not showing us the full presentations. Something tells me there were better proposals out there that weren't selected.

i agree with you. its hard to tell whats going on in the pictures, and i cant really make anything out of the 2nd concept. from what i can tell, i like the 1st best, but not crazy about any of them, though they do seem to fit fairly well into LA architecture. i would just like to see more of an emphasis on football than modern art

out of curiosity, what are the material flaws at Lucas Oil?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I mean the new Meadowlands stadium is NICE but still a stadium for EXPLOSIONS AND FOOTBALL. So I guess this is the best, but something else would just be better.

I don't think I understood a single word of your post.

Ok, So yea I don't blame you for being confused by my teenage filled explosive rant. In plainer words, all three stadiums feel too fashionable, like those World Cup ideas for Qatar. I go to all the Redskins home games and I love to get on my feet, with my Redskins jerseys, hats, gloves, shirts, boxers, blankets, and yell, cheer, hit things to make noise, etc. I love the feeling of going to a stadium that may not be great on the outside looking in, design and all that, but when your in that stadium and the crowd is going crazy after a (sparse) Redskins touchdown, its the best. Everybody is in a jersey, the place is loud, and you sent the Cowgirls packing. All three designs look like Glamour and all that, where the team can suffer from a situation that can plague some football teams. At FedEx, in the club section (where I unfortunately sit) a lot of people are there through their companies tickets, etc. and they show up in suits and sit inside usually, watching on the TV's. Down in the lower bowl is where the real fans are, and where I wish I was. I feel like a stadium like that in LA would be filled with suites, not jerseys. The second one as a real problem, it looks like it contains art, not a stadium. One is the best option because it actually looks kind of like a stadium. Three looks like a glam palace with those flashy lights. What football player would want to play in a place where it mattered more who was watching them than the other way around? (Woah, that was deep). Football is about those big hits, third down stops, beating a huge rival on National TV as you can see the stands shake just a little with everyone jumping up and down. It's the random people who you high five and hug in the stands because you both are wearing the same color jersey. Hope that clears it up, or maybe I'm just a sad fan reliving the hope in Week 1 that the Redskins wouldn't be the same old Deadskins.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I should've been more clear. The flaws of Lucas Oil are shared by most buildings made nowadays--made to look like brick structures when they're not. The main idea of the stadium is to evoke an early twentieth-century factory like the ones you find around Indianapolis and the midwest in general, and while I think that idea could work, it ended up looking like a Camden Yards knockoff and didn't attempt to get away from its basic barn wireframe.

The football side of this argument is that while the RCA Dome was a barren relic of the "Dome-rush" era (thanks, Houston), Lucas Oil can't give the Colts the same kind of home-field crowd it once had. Anyone trying to build a stadium now needs to take crowd noise (acoustics) into top consideration when designing these things. Ask anyone who has been to Arrowhead Stadium or the Metro Dome: it's loud in there.

I should've been more clear. The flaws of Lucas Oil are shared by most buildings made nowadays--made to look like brick structures when they're not. The main idea of the stadium is to evoke an early twentieth-century factory like the ones you find around Indianapolis and the midwest in general, and while I think that idea could work, it ended up looking like a Camden Yards knockoff and didn't attempt to get away from its basic barn wireframe.

The football side of this argument is that while the RCA Dome was a barren relic of the "Dome-rush" era (thanks, Houston), Lucas Oil can't give the Colts the same kind of home-field crowd it once had. Anyone trying to build a stadium now needs to take crowd noise (acoustics) into top consideration when designing these things. Ask anyone who has been to Arrowhead Stadium or the Metro Dome: it's loud in there.

thanks for that expansion. for me Lucas Oil accomplishes its goal that you mentioned, even knowing its not brick it looks good, but im no architect. maybe thats a detail that goes over the heads of the laymen in the same way that as a designer i can recognize most fonts/typefaces i see but non-designers never notice.

you're right about it not being as loud as the RCS dome, but it was also designed in mind to host high school band competitions, concerts, possible NCAA basketball games, and other events. i dont know how much that would play into acoustics design or different from "football noise" though

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived