Biggest sporting events you have attended

PurpleRush

NFL - 3/16/05 AFC Divisional Playoff - Indy @ NE - Pats 20 Colts 3. Nosebleed seats in the snow. Awesome time.

NBA - 5/4/08 1st Round playoffs - Game 7 Atlanta @ Boston - Celtics 99 Hawks 65. My first and only game 7. Electric atmosphere. Kevin Garnett was noted for legally decking Zaza Pachulia on a screen.

NHL - 4/19/91 2nd round playoffs - Game 2 Montreal @ Boston - Canadiens 4 Bruins 3 OT. After joking the game would go into 3 overtimes because I had to work at 6 am the next morning, the game did go into OT, and Montreal scored 28 seconds into the extra period, sending us home unhappy. Bruins would win the series in 7 though.

MLB - No post season but I've been to a Red Sox / Yankees game at the old Yankee Stadium on 9/11/05 and at Fenway the game Schilling returned from injury to come out of the bullpen, and serve up a 3 run HR to A-Rod. Both losses. I also went to the last regular season game between the Sox/Yanks on the final day of the 2010 this past season.

Honorable mentions

2009 regular season Lakers @ Celtics and Cavs @ Celtics.

2010 Eagles @ Redskins, the Monday night disaster.

sig-1.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been to any NFL, NBA or NHL games. Living in San Diego explains the latter two, but I don't know why I've never made it to a Chargers game. I have been to plenty of Padres games, though.

However, the biggest I've ever been to was the final of the 1999 Women's World Cup at the Rose Bowl.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

NCAA football: Michigan vs. Appalachian State. We all know how that one ended!

I've been to a bunch of Maple Leafs and Red Wings games, but nothing significant. As an OHL fan I've been to a lot of playoff games that I consider significant. I was at all the home games when the London Knights battled the Plymouth Whalers in the 1998-99 playoffs. One of the craziest back and forth series ever!

Basic storyline: 2005 I-AA Semifinal. App lost to Furman in the regular season. App loses All-American QB in first quarter.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Been to a couple Toronto Rock lacrosse games, a couple Blue Jays games, the 2002 Vince Carter Charity All-Star Game, one Argonauts game, and quite a few of my hometown Sudbury Wolves games. No playoff games, though.

I think my best memory was one time when the Wolves were beating up on Kitchener. Me and my buddy started chanting "Go home Rangers". No one joined in. We had a larf.

October 23, 1993. I was at Game 6 of the '93 World Series where Joe Carter hit home homerun to win it all. I remember little of it, but I was there. It's the only post-season game of the Big Four I've been to, actually.

I went to a tone of Kitchener Rangers games. The 2003 post-season series against the Ottawa 67s was pretty memorable.

2001 Daytona 500: We had seats in Turn 4 and witnessed the death of Dale Earnhardt on the final lap. Something I will never, ever forget.

2001 Indianapolis 500: Helio Castroneves 2nd Indy win and the first 1/2 of Tony Stewart's attempt at "The Double" (Raced in the Coke 600 in Charlotte later that day.)

2002 NBA Playoffs, First Round, Game 5, Toronto @ Detroit: We were Raptors fans in enemy territory at The Palace. Loudest arena I've ever heard. Raps JUST lost on a last second 3-point attempt.

2009 World Baseball Classic, First Round, USA @ Canada: Best baseball game I've ever been to (and I've probably been to over 100). Atmosphere at the Dome was incredible.

I've never been to a playoff game of any sort but I was at the first ever Blue Jackets game against Chicago in 2000. That was pretty cool. And I was at the Ohio State-Michigan game this season.

Also, I was in attendance for that brawl between the Reds and Cardinals last summer.

I've been to the Memorial tournament every year since I was 7 years old. Made a boatload as a middle schooler selling soda and water outside the gate as people left the course.

and all three games of the 2005 Frozen Four.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Game five 1984 World Series in Detroit.

First round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. 1995 Knickerbocker Arena in Albany. I had a press pass. I was "stringing" for KNBR in San Francisco. I sat courtside for every game, got free food and drink all day long, and all I had to do was call in a report to KNBR after the Stanford game.

Game two 1998 ALDS Boston vs. Cleveland at Jacobs Field.

2008 Coca-Cola 600. (Kasey Kahne)

2009 Coca-Cola 600. (David Reuitimann)

BB52Big.jpg

- 2 Brickyard 400s (won by Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart)

- 2010 Sugar Bowl between Cincinnati and Florida

- 2009 Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh game at Pittsburgh (most amazing game I've ever seen)

- 2006 Crosstown Shootout, Cincinnati beat Xavier at home and that was one of the lone bright spots of the season.

- This one's not too big, but a Chiefs-Bengals game in 2003, where Cincinnati beat then-undefeated Kansas City

- A 2004(?) Browns-Bengals game which was one of the highest scoring game's in NFL History.

- 2008 Sugar Bowl: Hawaii vs. Georgia ...nothing was more fun than tailgating with Hawaiians (specifically, the 6 foot 6 one with huge hair, who we called Hagrid)

- too many Georgia games and Braves games to mention, though I will always regret not going to the 2007 Blackout vs. Auburn... :(

Never been to any playoff games, but the best game I have ever been to was the South Florida-West Virginia game in 2007. A year when USF beat the likes of Auburn, West Virginia, and many more on their way to reaching #2 in the nation before toppling.

This was the first and only time I will ever rush the field.

-NCAAF: 12/30/10 New Era Pinstripe Bowl. No need to explain this one too much

-MLB: 7/6/10 Reds at Mets. Johan Santana pitched a complete game shutout

-NHL: I went to Rick DiPietro's first start if that counts for something, as well as the debut of the Islanders' orange third jerseys.

-NCAAB: I would go with either the 2009 Coaches vs. Cancer classic at MSG vs. UNC or the Dome sell-out against Villanova back in February

-NCAA Lax: (you knew I'd touch this) 2010 Big City Classic because it was the opening event at the New Meadowlands Stadium. The 2009 NCAA Quarterfinals at Hofstra come pretty close, as does the 2010 quarterfinals at Stony Brook

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

NFL - 1/19/02 Patriots vs Raiders "Snow Bowl" Don't think I need to go too much into that. First NFL game ever

MLB - 10/20/07 Red Sox vs Indians 2007 ALCS Game 6. JD Drew Grand Slam in 1st Inning seemed to set the pace for the whole game. Sox won 12-2

NHL - 5/14/10 Bruins vs Flyers 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Semifinals. Game was a microcosm of the entire series. Blech. Flyers won 4-3. (also ruined my postseason game attendance record which was perfect up to that point (3-1 currently)

- 2 Brickyard 400s (won by Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart)

- 2010 Sugar Bowl between Cincinnati and Florida

- 2009 Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh game at Pittsburgh (most amazing game I've ever seen)

- 2006 Crosstown Shootout, Cincinnati beat Xavier at home and that was one of the lone bright spots of the season.

- This one's not too big, but a Chiefs-Bengals game in 2003, where Cincinnati beat then-undefeated Kansas City

- A 2004(?) Browns-Bengals game which was one of the highest scoring game's in NFL History.

I was actually at all of the bolded events as well. That Bengals-Chiefs game is still one of my favorite Bengals memories. The Bengals won a big game for the first time in forever and beat a 9-0 Chiefs team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

NHL: Game 4 1999 SCF, Sabres won or Game 7 1997 1st Round vs Ottawa, Derek Plante OT Goal sends Sabres into second round

NFL: Nothing of note except a few great games that meant nothing because the Bills have been terrible.

MLB: Ripken's last game in Toronto. It was my first ever MLB game and I loved every second of it.

NCAAF: UB/UCONN International Bowl, UB's first and only bowl game

NCAAB: Mizzou/Clemson and Morgan St/WVU first round NCAA games last season

saBS.png

I went to games 1 & 2 of the 1995 World Series between the Indians and Braves. I would have given anything to go to game 6!

My family and I went to the Olympics in 1996 when it was in Atlanta.

I have been to the Florida/Florida State game both in Tallahassee and Gainsville.

I was at Petco one day when David Wells got tossed. What happened was he was 2-2 to Jeff Francoeur and threw a ball that he thought was a strike. The next pitch Frenchy took him deep and Wells just flew off the handle. What is funny about that is that I heard him on a pre-game show this past year talking about that very incident.

I was at games 3 & 4 when the Rockies swept the D-Backs in the NLCS in 2007. It was my first two playoff games since 1995 and I wasn't a kid so I think I enjoyed it a lot more. Plus there was this guy buying my brother and I beers all night during game 4 because we were service members :)

I was at the Korea/Venezuela World Baseball Classic game in LA in 2009. I wanted to go to the USA/Japan game but I had to work the next day so the Saturday game is all I could get. It was a lot of fun though.

I have never been to an NFL game (but if the Falcons go to the Super Bowl that will change) and I have never attended a NBA or NHL game.

Archived