Austin Peay Governors

mcrosby

Austin Peay's current logo is just an AP, and an aged corporate looking AP at that. They also have a, for lack of a better word, silly looking secondary logo. Both are seen below. I decided to update their look.

austin-peay-logo.jpgaustinpeay.gif

For the update I tried to get something a bit more serious looking. I wanted to be sure to include a tophat, monocle, a mustache, and a western bowtie. My favorite part is the stripe of the tophat, which forms the state of Tennessee (AP prides itself on being "the fastest growing university in Tennessee). I'm currently trying to work on a wordmark, but I'm really struggling.

AustinPeayLogo.png

C&C pretty please.

That looks great, like its really really good. I dont know why but theres something about that, its looks just awesome. My only criticism is the state outline, it looks good, but the stripe looks weird having all the rough parts at the end, if you could simplify the shape I think it would look a lot better. But great work, one of my favorites ive seen on here.

Really like the stripe, but agree that it could be smoothed out a bit. I don't think it has to be exact, and it being subtle is a great hidden gem for people to discover.

Great job though. As far as the AP wordmark... not sure.

Sidenote: I almost played basketball at AP in 2002+. "Let's go Pee" haha

Any way you could tie in a subtle 'A P' with his tie? The shapes are there, just making it without it looking forced is the thing.

I have to admit, my first thought was of Colonel Sanders as well but in a "he's got a mustache, a smile and whatever you call that type of necktie... if you use your imagination and squint really hard, it kinda looks like..." way. It's a very well done logo!

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

I have to admit, my first thought was of Colonel Sanders as well but in a "he's got a mustache, a smile and whatever you call that type of necktie... if you use your imagination and squint really hard, it kinda looks like..." way. It's a very well done logo!

Right, I'm sorry if my previous post seemed a bit off color, I wasn't trying to diminish the work. The tie, color scheme, and thick black lines just matched up with the new KFC look.

Also you may want to flip the chin shadow around. His head appears to be facing the opposite way of the cleft.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is a great piece of work. It's a really nice update to what they currently use. The hat stripe is genius. The only things that should be changed are:

1) Simplify the state of Tennessee

2) The unmonocled eye shadow looks odd to me. Maybe curve the bottom part the opposite way across the nose and down the cheek(if that makes any sense).

3) The logo looks too tall to me. I believe logos should be as "square" as possible proportionally. You don't need to show all the way down his chest. Cut the logo off just after the first button. It'll make the logo have a nice ratio.

Great work again. When are you sending this to AP?

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Thanks for the responses. I'll work on turning the chin and simplifying the state. Until then, here's the beginnings of a full body logo. Something doesn't feel right about it, perspective, shadowing, something. Let me know so I can complete it (avoid the 'he doesnt have hands of feet" comments, those are on the way once i get his body positioned correctly).

I know this one is tall, it would be a compliment to wordmark only. Thanks guys.

AustinStanding.png

Looks great, but I can't help but think of

061113_kfc_logo_vmed5p.grid-4x2.jpg

More like this:

mr_peanut.jpg

How 'bout the the PeayNuts?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Looks great, but I can't help but think of

061113_kfc_logo_vmed5p.grid-4x2.jpg

I don't see it CS85.

Actually, that's exactly the same thing I thought when I first saw the concept. I believe it's a similar color scheme (white/black/red) with a very similar tie.

It's a good concept, but I think it needs a little tweaking to make it less like the Colonel. And the standing logo...I dunno, but he looks likes he's reaching into his pants. Not good.

It is a very well made logo, I think the first logo is near perfect. On the full body, there are a few things that look weird to me. His head looks oddly placed in the shoulders and almost feels like it's about to slide off the body. Also it doesn't seem like there's a neck either. The body and legs look off proportianaly. With his pants so high, it looks like his legs are a little too long and indeed reaching into his pants. I know this is unfinished and you're going for the Napoleon hand in shirt look, but with the shirt and jacket not extending, it causes us to wonder what he's doing with his hand in there. On the shadowing of the coat, without red on the coat tails, they don't seem like they're part of tje coat itself. I'm not very good at making logos but I those are some things that may help a little. A+ work so far, can't wait for the finished products!

maehl.png

Thanks for the comments everyone-I laughed out loud at Austin PeayNuts.

I've nixed the full body logo for now, we'll see if I go back to that. I fixed some issues with the original-simplifying the state, flipping the chin, streamlining curves (undermouth shadow to sideburn mostly) and a rounding out of the ear.

AustinPeayLogo2.png

Along with that I've chosen a font. I went completely different from what I had originally thought. I also attempted to mix this font with a western font by giving it some Anaheim/California/Los Angeles Angels points. I liked it, but I liked the simpler version more. The wordmark wasn't as important to me as the AP monogram. I wanted something similar to what they currently use...but it's just not that good so I didn't stick too close to it. I also wanted to include something gubernatorial with the monogram-it's a very unique nickname and I think it's highly underused by AP.

Austinwordmarks.png

AustinPeayLogo3.png

Have at it.

Chin was better before, and I would work the monocle into the AP somehow.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I like the style and overall look of this logo. I think the head and shoulders version is enough. I dont think you need the full body version. that being said, he seems to be lacking shoulders on both versions. the way you have it now, the shoulders come downward too much. bring the shoulders up and out more. then if you do decide to stick with the full body, the head wont seem so oddly positioned on the body. i really like the way the chest comes to a point.

Archived