Dwayne Roloson Mask mishmatch

NJTank

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember back in 09 the Blue Jackets were playing the Bruins in Columbus and Tim Thomas got jarred which broke something on his "mage". He had to use Manny Fernandez's mask and he gave up the go-ahead goal late in the game. Thomas was noticeably upset and uncomfortable with the mask on his head and put his back on as soon as the equipment guy fixed it.

3345949119_69b48e5487_o.png

yep, that's it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

One of my favorites was Johan Hedberg, whose nickname is "Moose." When he played for Pittsburgh fans quickly nicknamed him "Moose" out of necessity - Hedberg started a game in Pittsburgh on late notice and as a result was still wearing his customized Manitoba Moose helmet which, not surprisingly, had a large moose painted across it. The nickname and mask stuck, as he still incorporates the Manitoba Moose into his helmets to this day.

sorry, nothing beats this mismatch

18375d1244481138-trevor-kidd-pads-kidd23.jpg

That's not a mismatch. That was his regular gear.

getty_tkidd.jpg

This actually almost works:

history_kidd.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Roloson is pretty superstitious about his equipment, like most goalies I guess. I wouldn't be suprised if the only thing he changed this season was his mask.

When Roloson got traded from Minnesota to Edmonton at the 2006 trade deadline, he eventually got Oiler coloured equipment but only wore the glove and blocker. He continued to wear his Wild pads because he was playing well and didn't want to switch. iirc he also doesn't like breaking in new pads midseason. One of his backups, Ty Conklin, was actually doing that for him, though Roli didn't use them.

At least they were all white with gold trim. Gold... copper... close enough.

dwayneroloson.jpg

This looked bad the few times it happened...

73443747.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54814ABF980163DF6CB1FBA30FC5F18BCE3B28606E7203DACF6

But this was a thing of beauty...

Rolosonw9s.jpg

224518771.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1294948724&Signature=J0FYOw7TsoJjzI%2BC4o%2BphvVNKN4%3D

His mask is ready and will debut on Friday. Hopefully now people will realize how long a new paint job takes.

Total time necessary from time of trade- 7 days

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

224518771.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1294948724&Signature=J0FYOw7TsoJjzI%2BC4o%2BphvVNKN4%3D

His mask is ready and will debut on Friday. Hopefully now people will realize how long a new paint job takes.

Total time necessary from time of trade- 7 days

And hopefully the fact that he wore a white Lightning mask yesterday, and shut out the same team he did while wearing the supposed "good luck" (according to some posters here) Islanders mask will show that he could have worn a white Lightning mask the whole time instead of the mismatching Islanders mask and still would have shut out the Caps.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Here's a quote from my ESPN league regarding Roli's poor performance last night against the Devils.

Roloson was yanked Friday with four minutes left in the first period after yielding four goals on nine New Jersey shots.

Spin: It was a strange night for Rollie who clearly blamed his early poor performance on his newly-painted goalie mask. He furiously shed it after three goals and donned his old plain-white mask but promptly allowed a shortie by Travis Zajac. Some of the blame can be attributed to a defense that likes to back into their own zone. But he's still a bit of a pendulum right now. He should settle soon enough.

This was the best.

x610.jpg

Agreed. 100%.

Not to thread-jack, but the whole game was eye candy, with the 'nucks wearing their 40th anniversary outfits and going NNOB.

The tribute mask was icing on the cake...Rogie Vachon has retired to Nanaimo and I've had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times.

I can haz sig?

This was the best.

x610.jpg

Agreed. 100%.

Not to thread-jack, but the whole game was eye candy, with the 'nucks wearing their 40th anniversary outfits and going NNOB.

The tribute mask was icing on the cake...Rogie Vachon has retired to Nanaimo and I've had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times.

Yay Nanaimo! :)

Dude was traded like 3 days ago

I'm not sure if that means "that's more than enough time for him to have it changed" or "give him a break, it's only been three days," but I still think it's pretty bad. I feel like that's enough time for him to have gotten a different mask, even if it was completely plain. This isn't peewee hockey, these guys can afford new equipment and have ways of getting it whenever they want. That's a uniform gaffe if I've ever seen one, even if it was intentional.

Hockey players.. especially goalies can be super picky about their gear and he might have not had the chance to get a white mask.

When it gets to the point where they are wearing equipment that blatantly features another team's logo, then they're being too picky.

"Hockey goalies in the wrong mask" thread in three, two...

On top of that the NHL goalies used custom fitted masks and usually only carry one. So it really wouldn't work getting a mask painted within 3 days of being traded.

Not all of them are custom fitted

Roli's is a custom fitted mask made by Promasque. He has been with them since he came to Buffalo in the early 90's. and it definately takes more than 3 days for fitting & paint.

canada.png

• 1 month later...

584-anderson-craig.jpg

Anderson still has his Avs gear on the Sens, but at least he put a Senators logo sticker over the Avs logo on the chin of his mask.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

hackett.jpg

WIN! Mask doesn't match the jersey, which doesn't match the team on the card.

Habs-Bruins-Flyers

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived