NFL number fonts

Slater

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I get a chance, I'm going to post up the sheet I did with all the various block numbers I've been able to find thus far. Be looking for that sometime in the future. (It may also be a good resource for concepters out there.)

I've got all of the official numerals artwork for all teams - chest, back and TV numerals - but I'm a little nervous to post too many of them...counterfeiters could use them.

I'm open to ideas. (Realistic ones, anyway.)

DAMN those counterfeiters. They HAVE to ruin fun for everyone don't they?

Speaking of number fonts, does anybody know the name of the font that the Cowboys used to use back in the 60's and 70's. I always liked it, and while the only team that still seems to use it is the Lakers, it seems they greatly have modified it. I always thought if the Cowboys decide on one shade of silver, they should bring back those numbers.

The Packers block is also slightly different: look at the "dip" in the middle stroke of the 5:

Nick-Barnett.jpg

Ah, one of the things I love about that number font is the little inconsistencies with the TV numbers - the shoulder 5 doesn't have the dip.

A lot of teams actually do that. The Bears and Jets off the top of my head.

Jets sleeve font is much more narrow than the chest/back number font.

darrelle-revis.jpg

The Bears' is just the opposite--it's much thicker and shorter than the chest/back number font.

Devin-Hester.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The Packers block is also slightly different: look at the "dip" in the middle stroke of the 5:

Nick-Barnett.jpg

Ah, one of the things I love about that number font is the little inconsistencies with the TV numbers - the shoulder 5 doesn't have the dip.

A lot of teams actually do that. The Bears and Jets off the top of my head.

Jets sleeve font is much more narrow than the chest/back number font.

darrelle-revis.jpg

The Bears' is just the opposite--it's much thicker and shorter than the chest/back number font.

Devin-Hester.jpg

The Raiders also have slightly modded numbers on front and sleeves:

Dallas_Cowboys_v_5221.jpg?adImageId=2210535&imageId=5977068

Long ago, somewhere in this forum in a thread discussing the Green Bay Packers, ColorWerx put us all on to some of the subtle differences between front, back and TV numbers. I want to say he said something like fronts were 8-10" tall, backs were like 11-12", and TV were like 4 1/2-5" or something along those lines. He also explained that some teams' TV numbers are wider, or thicker, for readability purposes--or something like that.

None of that helps explain why the Packers' TV "5" is different from the front/back "5", though. :P (CWx might have covered that, but I can't remember.)

(Oh--and to the guy who asked about the old-style Cowboys numbers--that were actually worn by several teams, including the Packers, but for whatever reason seem to be so readily attached for the Cowboys, I don't know what the "proper" name is, but most just call it serified block or either "classic" or "vintage" block.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Whenever I get a chance, I'm going to post up the sheet I did with all the various block numbers I've been able to find thus far. Be looking for that sometime in the future. (It may also be a good resource for concepters out there.)

I've got all of the official numerals artwork for all teams - chest, back and TV numerals - but I'm a little nervous to post too many of them...counterfeiters could use them.

Watermarks?

Watermarks?

I have these files too, but I'm going to have to side with ColorWerx on this. Even watermarks wouldn't stop someone from tracing them.

Extremely good work. Personally, I wouldn't have included the "fashion" options, since by opening the door you're automatically ignoring any number of fashion jerseys (black, gray, tree back camo pattern) sold by the team. But a minor quibble.

Here's that sheet I ame up with a while ago.

Glad I saved it, cuz I have no idea where the original file to this is, now. Anyway, these are the various blocks I was able to dig up...kinda just eyeballed a bunch pf pictures and then put this together.

NFL-standard-block.png

This may be of some use to someone out there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Glad I saved it, cuz I have no idea where the original file to this is, now. Anyway, these are the various blocks I was able to dig up...kinda just eyeballed a bunch pf pictures and then put this together.

NFL-standard-block.png

Thanks, Buc. I'm starting to work on a new project for my own fantasy football league, but if it's okay I wouldn't mind using this for reference either.

On a semi-related note, saw some 1980's 49er highlights in their white jerseys and didn't remember their red numbers being so shiny. They're pressed on and very glossy. It's kind of evident here (light glinting off the number and sleeve striped) but not as much as the clip I saw. And aren't the sleeve stripes spaced more widely than on some of their jerseys?

t1_walsh.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

NFL-standard-block.png

All the various blocks, and the Patriots' custom font?

NFL-standard-block.png

All the various blocks, and the Patriots' custom font?

Plus the Cardinals' custom font right above there. One of my favorite's, not to mention the rare 80's/90's block font right below the Pats' numbers that were used by the Bengals/Bills/and Jets. I've never seen those on a template before.

On a semi-related note, saw some 1980's 49er highlights in their white jerseys and didn't remember their red numbers being so shiny. They're pressed on and very glossy. It's kind of evident here (light glinting off the number and sleeve striped) but not as much as the clip I saw. And aren't the sleeve stripes spaced more widely than on some of their jerseys?

t1_walsh.jpg

Well, it is a trick of the eye that a dark element (in this case red stripes) on a white field will appear smaller than a white element on a dark field. If you compair this jersey to the same time period's red jersey, I'd bet at a glance you'd think the dark jersey had thicker stripes.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=14792&hl=

Old banned member nick made these awhile back. I have used these on many a concept.

Thank you so much. You don't know how many times I've tried to find the classic block numbers that the Cowboys and Packers used to use.

Nick also made these on a differnt account and then quickly got banned again.

Anyway I posted these on page 10 but I am not sure if anyone saw them.

Lions_Numbers.jpg

Jaguars_Numbers.jpg

49ers_Numbers.jpg

Archived