New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

You're missing my point, but oh well.

I'm getting your point, and it's stupid. Vibrant colors abound in Miami and thereabouts, whether it's South Beach having lots of neon or a bunch of little shacks painted in pastels. If you want to make a decisive effort to connote that you are representing Miami nationally after nine years of representing nothing in particular, a good way to go about doing so is embracing a vivid and unconventional color palette.

Incidentally, I gotta stop playing around with Street View around Miami. No wonder that entire part of the country is insane, it abuts a giant swamp. Roads go through it! Just miles and miles and miles of roads through a big flat swamp. Look at all the places my body could be buried and no one would ever know. :(

There's TONS of pink in southern FL as well

Well then I guess the next time I'm down there, I won't have any excuses!

o/

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We get it, you don't like the new Marlins logo. That's fine.

The bottom line, it will come down to what the locals think. Not me, not this forum, not the PCU generation, and def not the "extreme" Monster Energy drink generation.

We shall see.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The bottom line, it will come down to what the locals think. Not me, not this forum, not the PCU generation, and def not the "extreme" Monster Energy drink generation.

We shall see.

That's not really my point. My point is that I hope you're capable of expressing "I don't like the Marlins' new logo" without making absurd claims that it's ripping off a corporate logo that hasn't been used in five years.

Also the "the Sharks never ran with teal like the Marlins did" remark was downright silly.

As for how the locals like it, I don't know. I do know that very few people will go "where did the teal go?" Teal hasn't really been used in a decade so they won't miss the lack of it in the new identity. In fact I see the Marlins' new cap(s) becoming very popular with people who like out there/vibrant designs. Think a Yankees hat is to static for your tastes? Pick up a Marlins hat.

Plus the merchandising opportunities are evident. We know they'll have at least two game caps, a black one and an orange one. The logo's colour scheme means they can create blue, yellow, white fashion caps, as well as fashion caps in any combination of blue, orange, black, yellow, and white. So not only will the cap appeal to the crowd that wants something a little different out of a baseball cap, but it will also appeal to a wide variety of tastes. Don't like orange? Grab a blue cap. Don't like blue? Try yellow. And so on.

I wish the Marlins had included red/coral/pinkyeahIsaiditPINK and green to go along with blue, yellow, and orange. A nice shade of green would've been a good successor to teal as a base color.

That's not really my point. My point is that I hope you're capable of expressing "I don't like the Marlins' new logo" without making absurd claims

I would have thought so too, but apparently not.

Johnny, we get it. You don't personally like the logo. No need to justify it any further than that.

We shall see.

While that might be true, it doesn't mean you have to be a complete and total dickbag on every single :censored:ing page of this thread about your dislike of the logo.

Let it go.

We shall see.

While that might be true, it doesn't mean you have to be a complete and total dickbag on every single :censored:ing page of this thread about your dislike of the logo.

Let it go.

Fair enough ....I don't want to get those that are sensitive all fired up. I respect their differences and lifestyles.

My rant is over.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out of the pram.

I agree with you that the logo's a big turd, but you're just being argumentative and borderline abusive at this point.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm a little uneasy about orange being the possible secondary color for the Marlins. The light blue is close enough, I think, to teal that using it more prominently may have been a nice compromise between the 90's and this new direction. I'm afraid predominantly black and orange will be too Giants-ish or Orioles-ish, even if the shade is more of a creamsicle color. At least with black and thier particular light blue, it'd be closer to an ideal Marlins identity. We'll see how it all turns out, though.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I don't want to get those that are sensitive all fired up. I respect their differences and lifestyles.

Liking that a baseball team replaced a really crappy logo with a sorta crappy logo doesn't constitute a lifestyle.

As for how the locals like it, I don't know. I do know that very few people will go "where did the teal go?" Teal hasn't really been used in a decade so they won't miss the lack of it in the new identity.

Locals have been asking "where did the teal go?" since it was almost entirely removed from the team's identity in 2003. If you ask true Marlins fans, the majority miss the teal from the 1996-2002 era. Granted, with all the transplanted fans from out of town and two fire sales, the number of true Marlins fans is not as big as most other markets. But we do exist and most do not like the color change.

It's evident in the reaction locally to the new logo. A lot of fans did not know they were changing colors or assumed they wouldn't, so it came as a surprise to most when told about it(the few mentions in articles or broadcasts int he past 3 seasons). Even with those low-profile confirmations that they would be changing logos and colors, many of those who were aware simply refused to believe it. The response is usually "why would they do that?", even from fans of other teams.

Have a look on the Sun-Sentinel or Miami Herald and the comments on any article relating to the logo. Or even on the Marlins Facebook page, every post they make is peppered with comments like "please get rid of that ugly logo" "say it isn't true" etc. etc.

They'll probably sell tons of new caps to the 59fifty collector/fashion crowd. Even some of the "new" fans they pick up from the move South and the adaptation of the flashier, sexier "Miami" name. But not to real Marlins fans. I expect to see a spike in the sales of the early 90s teal caps, which already sell pretty well and you see them alot at games(though the team does not sell them at the official team store in the stadium).

As am I.

They'll probably sell tons of new caps to the 59fifty collector/fashion crowd. Even some of the "new" fans they pick up from the move South and the adaptation of the flashier, sexier "Miami" name. But not to real Marlins fans.

Both of them? :P

grant_a_marlins2_sy_576.jpg

s090827_marlinspg-vertical.jpg

florida-marlins-empty-stadium.jpg?

Seriously, the Marlins are just about the best team to experiment with a new look. They don't have a sizeable and devoted fanbase to alienate. Heck, looks like the Brewers have more fans in that crowd. :D

The Marlins have barely worn teal for 10 years. That's "taking the ball and running with it"? The Sharks have worn teal, in one shade or another, as their primary colour every season since they started playing. In my opinion the Sharks have done a better job of making teal their own then the Marlins ever have.

The Sharks have worn teal since their inception in 1991. The Marlins have worn teal since their inception in 1993. Each team is probably the first example that comes to mind if you think of "the teal team" in their respective sports. Really, you're going to quibble about that?

Anyway, this is a stupid argument. Why does any team redesigning its uniforms pick colors? Almost all the time, the selection is largely random, with at best a connection to the area that uses some artistic license. You could argue that the Marlins' new colors are "Miami" colors, and have lots of evidence to back up that assertion. You could also argue that these colors don't represent Miami more than any other city, and also have lots of evidence in your favor. There is no way to prove who is right or wrong. And let's not forget that, while every team wants to look good, the primary motivation in any redesign is almost certainly merchandise sales, so I'm sure these colors have focus-tested well in whatever market the Marlins hope to appeal to.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

The Marlins have barely worn teal for 10 years. That's "taking the ball and running with it"? The Sharks have worn teal, in one shade or another, as their primary colour every season since they started playing. In my opinion the Sharks have done a better job of making teal their own then the Marlins ever have.

The Sharks have worn teal since their inception in 1991. The Marlins have worn teal since their inception in 1993. Each team is probably the first example that comes to mind if you think of "the teal team" in their respective sports. Really, you're going to quibble about that?

The Sharks have worn teal as their primary since 1991. The Marlins significantly de-emphasized teal in 2003.

My point was simply that it was silly to say "the Sharks never ran with teal like Marlins have." That's all.

Fair enough ....I don't want to get those that are sensitive all fired up. I respect their differences and lifestyles.

I really expected better from you.

Oh c'mon. A little humor is always in order. Life is too short to get overly worked up. Even I need to take a step back and chill from my hatred of the new logo. I understand this and already said my rants are over.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived