Help Regarding a Sports Novel

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

Aside from designing, another big hobby of mine is writing. I've only had a few articles published in local and school newspapers here and there, but a long-term goal of mine is to publish a novel. I have one idea that I feel, once entirely figured out, could really work - an odds defying walk-on quarterback who eventually leads a collegiate laughingstock to the Rose Bowl. The idea isn't finished yet, but that's what I'm aiming for. Anyways, I've noticed in many collegiate sports novels and movies, the schools, conferences, and bowls are all fictional. Infact, I can't personally recall any novel or movie I know of that features a real school, conference, or bowl. Before I begin writing, I'd just like to know if this is because the NCAA doesn't allow these to be depicted in novels or movies. Is there a rule that bars this from happening? Or do you guys think it's because the writers don't want to worry about obtaining the rights to use thier identities? Basically, I just want to know if it's even possible to use anything existing in the NCAA, because I don't want to write the thing and find out I have to change everything.

Oh, I should note, this of course is a fictional story. I know of non-fiction movies like The Express, for example, that depict Syracuse, but this would of course be a fictional story. I meant to say earlier that I don't know of any fictional movies that depict a real school.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I just re-read that and thought "oops, slaughtered my point" :P

In a nutshell, can a FICTIONAL story depict a real school?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

You'd probably need permission from the school first... there's a series of fictional novels involving Canadian Hockey League teams

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You'd probably need permission from the school first... there's a series of fictional novels involving Canadian Hockey League teams

Was that the 6 book series by the guy who used to play for Red Deer? I think there was a one about the Rebels, an all-star team that went to Russia, Portland, Seattle but I don't recall the rest.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The movie Everybody's All-American oddly features the fictional Louisiana University (which is clearly LSU - purple and gold and a tiger named Mike) vs. the real Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Read the novel it's based on but can't remember off-hand whether it was the same in the book. My guess is what someone else said, you need permission from the schools.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Email John Feinstein since he has not only written non-fiction books about collegiate issues, but also a series of fictional novels about West Point and has used actual people in the text.

Was that the 6 book series by the guy who used to play for Red Deer? I think there was a one about the Rebels, an all-star team that went to Russia, Portland, Seattle but I don't recall the rest.

I have 3 of the books in that series. (The Lightning on Ice series by Sigmund Brouwer) The teams that the books feature the main character playing for are: Red Deer, Seattle, Portland, Kamloops, Spokane, and an all-star team that goes to Russia.

They are actually licensed by the WHL, and feature a quote from (then) WHL president Ed Chynoweth on the back cover. The WHL definitely knew about them, endorsed them, and gave their permission.

Another example that I can think of is "A Boy at the Leafs Camp" by Scott Young. The first two books in that series (Scrubs on Skates and Boy on Defense) only featured a fictional high school team. As soon as he featured the player as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, he would have had to get permission from the team, and possibly the NHL itself.

That said, should you be able to secure the rights from an NCAA school, that book (provided it's good) would probably be a big hit on campus, and would help boost sales. You would have to pay royalties to the school though.

I think you're best off to create a fictional high-school or college. Remember that even if you use the Rose Bowl, you will have to get permission.

When in doubt, ASK!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The movie Everybody's All-American oddly features the fictional Louisiana University (which is clearly LSU - purple and gold and a tiger named Mike) vs. the real Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Read the novel it's based on but can't remember off-hand whether it was the same in the book. My guess is what someone else said, you need permission from the schools.

Duh, totally forgot that the main character also ends up playing for the Redskins and Broncos and mucho NFL footage is used. Always thought his line when they retired his jersey was priceless. "I thank you for retiring my jersey. You think I can keep the pants?" :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The film Big Fan used the NFL and real teams.

And don't think for one minute that they didn't license those from the NFL.

Wrong

Wow - I gladly stand corrected. If you're willing to be sued, then go for it.

I did notice that Oswalt doesn't actually wear an official jersey in the film - he wears a knockoff.

Sorry it took so long to respond guys, it's been a long day of classes today. But I greatly appreciate all of your input, this is exactly what I needed. I'll continue thinking about the idea, i very well may just create fictional schools and bowls, but we'll see. If I decide to go along with the real deals, I'll be sure to take the actions necessary to do it right. Anyways, thanks alot guys and I'll keep you all updated!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I agree with most of the people here. You're probably better off using a fictional university, conference, and bowl than to ask for permission from the entities you want to use. But that doesn't mean you can't use some of their traditions for inspiration to create a story that relates closely to the real world. When I used to write, that's what I always used to do, but good luck anyway.

knnhrvy16,

First of all, thanks for the standing O for "Leaf Man". That was cool.

I've "done up" 6 kids' books about hockey.(Wrote and illustrated them).

Out of the six, I've managed to get 1 published; and not because it was about hockey!

It got published because it was a story about the great ice storm in a hockey setting. Catch my drift?

Get a publishers' list on who's accepting manuscripts and on what.

Maybe nobody's looking to publish another adult fictional football book;

But maybe...a publisher is looking for 'young adult' or 'childrens' fictional sport books, so you can write according to the level that's needed.

Many times publishers are looking for books that contain subject matter that they can receive government grants for.

I've been told that if I did a book on a women's hockey team, with aboriginal and 'new Canadian' players, and with an anti-bullying message/storyline;

I'd have a contract in a heartbeat! (I'm working on that}

Again, get a publishers' list, and best of luck knnhrvy16. I hope I pronounced that right.

And nash 61..."Boy on Defence"?...How OLD are ya?

Archived