Template Update

andrewharrington

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I updated a ton of little things, but visually, the biggest difference is that I slimmed down the shoulders of the Pro Combat jersey to be more accurate. I've also included a template for the adidas TechFit uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

For some reason the latest update makes my Inkscape run extremely slow, then ultimately freeze.

:-/

lol, it is a large file. ive cut some things out of mine to take the size down. the downside is it does take some time to move around it and apply a design. the upside is its by far the best football template available.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Truth be told, 4MB really isn't that large, but I think the best route to go is to use the template as a resource and copy whatever you need from it into a new file when you go about making your concepts.

I don't think any of the instructions apply to Inkscape users, either, which is why I can't guarantee any of the functionality outside Adobe Illustrator.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Absolutely incredible template! Cant get over the amount of effort it must have taken, the level of detail is incredible!!! The only thing I have spotted that you might want to tweak is that your VSR4 helmet has vent holes in the top, and the VSR4 is actually vent free, you only get air holes on the top of Schutt helmets. Other than that, and it's a ridiculously pedantic thing of me to pick up on, it's flawless and I look forward to putting it to good use.

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

No. Personally I don't think the back view of the helmet adds any new information, so I'm not planning on adding it. Feel free to add one, though, if you want to.

I made flat .psd files (no layers, sorry) for those who want to color it in Photoshop. Nike Pro Combat and adidas TechFit links.

Steve. I put the vent holes in there just in case people wanted to show them, since the standard Schutt and Riddell helmets look so much alike.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated a ton of little things, but visually, the biggest difference is that I slimmed down the shoulders of the Pro Combat jersey to be more accurate. I've also included a template for the adidas TechFit uniform.

I think you said you may be doing some other types of helmets as well but I was also wondering if you were going to do a uniform template for Reebok and Under Armor also?

Anyways, I just want to say again that these are great!

I've updated my template by switching out the side view of the pants for a 3/4 view that shows part of the back, something I'd wanted to do originally, but I just couldn't find the image I wanted. I also added some instructions to help users get the most out of it. I'm having trouble saving this down to other Illustrator versions and saving it as an .svg file, so I don't know what to tell you if you don't have CS3 or if you're using Inkscape (most of the features will probably only work in Illustrator anyway). Maybe someone who's downloaded it can try saving it down or converting it to .svg format.

Here is the latest Adobe Illustrator CS3 download, which has both the adidas TechFit football template and the Nike Pro Combat football template in it (check the layers).

As always, no guarantees on the functionality of anything in Inkscape. Here is the latest adidas TechFit .svg download, and here is the latest Nike Pro Combat .svg download.

I was able to open this in CS2, except that only the Adidas template is appearing. Any reason why? Could you possibly post a separate link with the Nike template?

• 2 months later...

This template is awesome, the instructions are perfect, the layers are well-organized and the whole thing looks very professional. I'd love to see you do similar things with other sports templates (baseball comes to mind). Great work.

I'd love to do it. Absolutely love it. If I could generate a living creating great templates, researching the history of each sport's uniforms and putting them up on a website for all to see, I'd quit my day job in an instant. I think it could be done, given the amount of traffic it might generate and the advertising dollars that would inevitably come from that. I think it's also within the realm of possibility that I could sell licenses to the various Halls of Fame allowing them to use, display or publish the images, for example. But, until I finish documenting the history of NFL uniforms and test out the theory, I just can't move on to other sports. It just takes too much time and effort. I'd need a staff.

I think we had a discussion similar to this at Fox and Hound one night... Make it happen, Cap'n!!!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

• 3 months later...

Do you have a version of this template available for paint?

Seriously? Have you looked at that template? Have a look at anything created in Paint, then look at that template and ask yourself "have I ever seen a template that good in Paint?"

Hate to break it to you but the answer is no, and there's a reason for that. Paint cant cope with anything that complex!

Face it if you're using Paint you're pretty much wasting your time! Sounds harsh I know but it's the truth. If you want to make a go of designing concepts and have something worth having after investing hours possibly days or weeks of your life do yourself a favour and download Inkscape and learn how to use it!

There are NO EXCUSES, IT'S FREE!!!!!

I just dont get why people instist on using a program so bad it cant even produce smooth edges! At the end of the day your left with a file that's pretty much useless, you cant enlarge it, you cant recolour it easily, you certainly couldn't pass it on to say a local team and have them use the design or even sell it on if you're lucky because the file type is so rudamentary that is useless in the real world.

People not shelling out $400 for Illustrator I can totally understand but when there is a FREE ALTERNATIVE I cant understand why anyone who's keen on doing this as even a hobby wouldn't use it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Do you have a version of this template available for paint?

Seriously? Have you looked at that template? Have a look at anything created in Paint, then look at that template and ask yourself "have I ever seen a template that good in Paint?"

Hate to break it to you but the answer is no, and there's a reason for that. Paint cant cope with anything that complex!

Face it if you're using Paint you're pretty much wasting your time! Sounds harsh I know but it's the truth. If you want to make a go of designing concepts and have something worth having after investing hours possibly days or weeks of your life do yourself a favour and download Inkscape and learn how to use it!

There are NO EXCUSES, IT'S FREE!!!!!

I just dont get why people instist on using a program so bad it cant even produce smooth edges! At the end of the day your left with a file that's pretty much useless, you cant enlarge it, you cant recolour it easily, you certainly couldn't pass it on to say a local team and have them use the design or even sell it on if you're lucky because the file type is so rudamentary that is useless in the real world.

People not shelling out $400 for Illustrator I can totally understand but when there is a FREE ALTERNATIVE I cant understand why anyone who's keen on doing this as even a hobby wouldn't use it.

9erssteve

Amen to that.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Archived