anyone know what's going on with this logo?

Brave-Bird 08

Maybe I'm throwing a volleyball at a basketball team with this one (don't know how many UGA people are on here), but I've got a question about a logo. I looked for a thread to put this in, but couldn't find an applicable one, so I'm starting one.

I've always loved the Dawg head logo that Georgia has put on some of their hats. No, it's not the classic one. It's a modern one, seen here.

11212_160.jpg

That's the only image I can find of the logo anywhere. It used to be on embroideredthings before that site disappeared. I was looking for a copy of it to vectorize the other day, and found only that silver emblem. The Dawg head logo is used in weird ways--seen there on a body, which is a first sight for me. Also, it's sometimes wearing a backward UGA hat...kind of like a youthful nod to the older logo.

But why is the logo so elusive? It only shows up on hats. I thought it might be one of those Zephyr designs, but I couldn't find any of those online either. The only place you will find the logo is if you walk into the UGA bookstore. (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). So from what I can see, this logo isn't an official mark, but it shows up on school merchandise?

and if we want to turn this into a thread, I have some questions about these logos too (mayhaps it can become the logos I wish my school used more thread):

Pitt Panthers

Iowa Hawkeyes

from at least what I know through personal events, logo designs aren't used on any type of school merchandise unless they are "official" and in the style guide. the bookstore here at Kennesaw State would not take any of my logos...which were unofficial. is identity execution just different wherever you go? have these Iowa and Pitt logos been used on any merchandise? and what's the deal with this UGA logo not being anywhere!

I used to own a Georgia hat with that very logo on it a few years ago (I've since donated it along with some other clothing items). I've often wondered where that logo came from and what it's exact role is, but it seems the only place I've ever seen it is on hats, whether on the front or back.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That PITT one was trying be used as the updated modern version of the older Panther primary one, but it didn't sit well with PITT fans and was known as the sea otter. It's basically disappeared on merchandise and the "PITT" took over.

The modern Iowa Tigerhawk didn't last long either. The general public didn't like it. If I remember right, it was brought in when Steve Alford was the basketball coach. It never made it to the football helmets or center court at Carver Hawkeye Arena. I am not sure if it was even adopted by the athletic department.

Archived