Subway/Transit System logos

TxRangersFan

D'oh, after reading your "too far west" comment, I looked up where DeKalb was on google maps and realized I'd been confusing DeKalb County with DuPage County. Then again, my familiarity with Chicagoland is fairly limited to the northern suburbs, the city proper, and NW Indiana.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have said this already, I don't remember, but it bothers me that signage for the L is in Helvetica. That's too New York to me and unbecoming of a lot of station architecture in the system, which is admittedly haphazard but does feature a lot of decidedly pre-Helvetica structures the north and northwest sides. The brutalist blandness of Helvetica really clashes with the 1890s-1930s. So I say it should all be in Futura or Neutraface. Might as well be the latter; the city may now have more Neutraface signage than kids who moved in from Michigan. And that's saying something!

damen-milwaukee_reprosignsNB.jpg

damen-milwaukee_reprosignsSB.jpg

E.g., here's the platform for Damen in Wicker Park. For some reason, the CTA has throwback signage, probably because it's in Wicker Park, ha. But look how nice the old sign (which is useless for wayfinding purposes because there are no more skip-stops nor "Milwaukee Routes" nor are there two west-side branches) looks next to that bland 1970s urban-renewal stuff. Futura can give you all the legibility of Helvetica but with a touch of early-20th-c. cool, especially without that icky institutional blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not really relevant to the topic, but when I was in Brno in the fall, I thought it was neat how their trams go on grass in a lot of spots.

(not my photos - more current one like what I saw on the right)

grasstram-ed01.jpg1280px-Brno%2C_N%C3%A1dra%C5%BEn%C3%AD_%

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived