Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god. If they were still wearing those today, you idiots would have threads about how "boring" or "generic" or "dated" they were. But now it's all "they need to go back!!!"

There's no "retro cool" thing about those, and there's no modern uniqueness either. They're just blah - like an early '90s high school uniform. Not terrible, but not great. Complete unremarkable. In fact, I have no more remarks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My god. If they were still wearing those today, you idiots would have threads about how "boring" or "generic" or "dated" they were. But now it's all "they need to go back!!!"

There's no "retro cool" thing about those, and there's no modern uniqueness either. They're just blah - like an early '90s high school uniform. Not terrible, but not great. Complete unremarkable. In fact, I have no more remarks.

This. Nevermind they were almost identical to what the Giants wore at the time. Super Bowl XXV looked way too much like an intrasquad game for my liking.

Here is my version of what I hope the Bills do. I kept just hints of the navy as a trim color and in the stripe patterns. I went with the red helmet because of the preponderance of white helmets in the AFC already. I also incorporated a secondary logo that I came up with a couple of years ago, a Buffalo "B". Some key thoughts on this one:

1. Tried to stay mostly traditional but with one key nod to contemporary design, the collar leading to a piping stripe which is used to end the stripes on the sleeves. This allows both the old-style sleeve stripe and a new twist which hopefully avoids the somewhat odd way that old-style stripes tend to simply end randomly on the new pseudo-sleeveless jersey cuts. this way the end of the stripe fits with the piping line going up to the collar or across the back (haven't made backs yet to show you, perhaps soon.)

2. A return to the dominance of the royal blue with red helmet and socks. As a kid I liked the white helmet too, but it was with the red one that the Bills seemed to emerge as a team.

3. Brought back blue pants.

4. Tried to keep the Bills jersey from looking too much like the Giants. This used to be a major problem back in

the 80's when both teams had basically identical jerseys except the Bills had 2 stripes and the Giants one. I remember every time I thought I saw a Joe Ferguson or Kelly jersey for sale on Long Island, it always ended up being a Phil Simms. That should not happen now.

Ok, enough talk. Here are my designs. If for some reason the image doesn't work, the link is: www.cfflfootball.com/BILLS2.png

BILLS2.png

And just in case they want to keep more of a modern look but fix most of the horrific issues with the current look, here is a more modern design, now with a white helmet, because you have already seen the white one. I really do think a simplified and stripe-aligned modern version could look very cool, but I suspect that the Bills will be going old-school,retro this time around.

Anyway, here is my modern version. It has a lot more navy, but if they were to stay modern, that might make sense.

BILLSMOD.png

Here is my version of what I hope the Bills do. I kept just hints of the navy as a trim color and in the stripe patterns. I went with the red helmet because of the preponderance of white helmets in the AFC already. I also incorporated a secondary logo that I came up with a couple of years ago, a Buffalo "B". Some key thoughts on this one:

1. Tried to stay mostly traditional but with one key nod to contemporary design, the collar leading to a piping stripe which is used to end the stripes on the sleeves. This allows both the old-style sleeve stripe and a new twist which hopefully avoids the somewhat odd way that old-style stripes tend to simply end randomly on the new pseudo-sleeveless jersey cuts. this way the end of the stripe fits with the piping line going up to the collar or across the back (haven't made backs yet to show you, perhaps soon.)

2. A return to the dominance of the royal blue with red helmet and socks. As a kid I liked the white helmet too, but it was with the red one that the Bills seemed to emerge as a team.

3. Brought back blue pants.

4. Tried to keep the Bills jersey from looking too much like the Giants. This used to be a major problem back in

the 80's when both teams had basically identical jerseys except the Bills had 2 stripes and the Giants one. I remember every time I thought I saw a Joe Ferguson or Kelly jersey for sale on Long Island, it always ended up being a Phil Simms. That should not happen now.

Ok, enough talk. Here are my designs. If for some reason the image doesn't work, the link is: www.cfflfootball.com/BILLS2.png

BILLS2.png

While I don't think their "newer" look will resemble this in any way, I still think this is what they should have gone with as opposed to the navy blue mess that they currently have. The problem with these is that they are too close to what they were wearing previously and I think they wanted something completely different. These almost remind me of the Detroit Lions updated unis with the black trim....not a huge change but an updated one. nice job!

btw...love the alternate 'B' logo. real nice.

That's very true actually.

Like how in the early 90s everyone hated on the Sabres jerseys for being boring and bland.

Success reaps praise and this era of Bills unis is associated with awesome teams....

Just for fun, a nice mixture of old Bills + current Patriots:

bisonfootball.jpg

Not an advocate, but I wouldn't put it past the Bills to do something as ugly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

When exactly did grey become Indy's unofficial third color? When they switched facemask colors?

Well, the Colts have used grey in the past, although this was back in the early 80s...

gal_nfl_draft_28.jpg

they really gambled on those unis (lol)

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

When exactly did grey become Indy's unofficial third color? When they switched facemask colors?

Well, the Colts have used grey in the past, although this was back in the early 80s...

gal_nfl_draft_28.jpg

I'm too young to actually remember them using these, but they've always looked good in photos. I wish they would've kept them since it'd have been a subtle, but significant way to differentiate the Indy era Colts from the Baltimore era (even though these were from their last couple years in Baltimore IIRC).

Here's the Colts' gray/silver pants:

art-schlichter_display_image.jpg?1291927510

Wow... I don't think I've ever seen those pant stripes before. What was with that trend in the 80s for teams to put numbers on their pants?

t_39776.jpg

1270.jpg

I think my first ever moment of uniform geekery was me HATING the Packers pant numbers. What's interesting is that I wasn't old enough to remember them not being there, yet somehow, I thought the pants looked "normal" once they were removed.

^Why were the Colts trying to add silver (or gray, whatever) to become the 4th team using blue and silver at the time? If this board existed back then, we would've blown them up for that.

Exactly. Actually as a lurker back around the time when they first changed them, the prevailing sentiment was that the new uniforms were bad, but at least they were no longer wearing boring practice uniforms.

There's no way those super bills uniforms would've survived the era of darkening colors, piping, and whacky uniform design (a phase I think we're coming out of, though we'll see what happens when Nike takes over). If they hadn't changed in 2002 then they probably would've adopted something else just as ridiculous in the next few years. They were doomed the minute those trends began popping up.

Personally, I love them and saw no reason to ever change them. They're unremarkable sure, but it's what an NFL uniform should look like. I hate when people say this, but their current uniforms are more suited for the Arena League or the UFL. I think that statement is more applicable to the Bills uniforms than any other I've seen.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's the Colts' gray/silver pants:

art-schlichter_display_image.jpg?1291927510

Wow... I don't think I've ever seen those pant stripes before. What was with that trend in the 80s for teams to put numbers on their pants?

t_39776.jpg

1270.jpg

I think my first ever moment of uniform geekery was me HATING the Packers pant numbers. What's interesting is that I wasn't old enough to remember them not being there, yet somehow, I thought the pants looked "normal" once they were removed.

If I'm not mistaken, these are the only 3 teams that tried it.

I threw this together:

BuffaloBills_PropHRS1_12.png

I have absolutely no insight as to what is going to happen, but maybe something like this?

And no, I don't like those helmet stripes either.

ColorWerx-

Since it won't allow me to send you a pm I'll post my message here:

Did you create the helmet template in this post, or did the guy who runs Sports Logos and Screen Savers? I already asked the other guy for permission to use this template and he didn't say who made it, only that I could use anything on his site and that he didn't own any rights to anything. I thought he was referring exclusively to the logos on his site when he mentioned rights, and that's why I went ahead and used the Seahawks' template for my last concept. If it does belong to you, I apologize profusely for having used it without your permission. Having said that, would it be okay if I used the helmet template in the future? I'm in the process of painterizing this helmet template for myself and others and I'd hate to have my efforts to give back to people on here all go for naught!

I threw this together:

BuffaloBills_PropHRS1_12.png

I have absolutely no insight as to what is going to happen, but maybe something like this?

And no, I don't like those helmet stripes either.

ColorWerx-

Since it won't allow me to send you a pm I'll post my message here:

Did you create the helmet template in this post, or did the guy who runs Sports Logos and Screen Savers? I already asked the other guy for permission to use this template and he didn't say who made it, only that I could use anything on his site and that he didn't own any rights to anything. I thought he was referring exclusively to the logos on his site when he mentioned rights, and that's why I went ahead and used the Seahawks' template for my last concept. If it does belong to you, I apologize profusely for having used it without your permission. Having said that, would it be okay if I used the helmet template in the future? I'm in the process of painterizing this helmet template for myself and others and I'd hate to have my efforts to give back to people on here all go for naught!

This is the official NFL helmet template.

Archived