Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna print this out and go read it in the bathroom.

Haha ... :grin:

Sorry so long, but it's very thorough ... and coming from a 40+ year die-hard BILLS fan :therock:

And I completely agree with pretty much every point you made.

I think what epper has done is spot-on to what they'll end up looking like. The only difference being a thin navy stroke next to the red on the jerseys and pants.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

But switching back to a white helmet would give the AFC East three white helmet teams and a silver helmet team. Not much variety there.

So what?

I've heard that before, but don't really see the problem. If each of the teams look good individually, who cares if a division leans toward a certain aesthetic?

But switching back to a white helmet would give the AFC East three white helmet teams and a silver helmet team. Not much variety there.

So what?

I've heard that before, but don't really see the problem. If each of the teams look good individually, who cares if a division leans toward a certain aesthetic?

Similarly, didn't the AFC East used to have five teams with white helmets? I don't mean to go back 30 years and get all slats7 on the white-helmet detractors, but it did work in the 70s.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, obviously it didn't work if one of those five teams changed their helmet due to a quarterback's inability to pick out his own receivers in divisional games.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The helmets along with the jerseys and pants will be distinct enough for the teams to be discernible from one another.

I'm just bummed that we're going to lose a helmet that was classic. At least it was before they screwed around and added 17 stripes to it. The red Bills helmet with the giant blue buffalo on the sides is one of my favorite football helmets ever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

1. It still would have been nice to have the blue pants as an option for them and change 'em up at various times, but NOT blue monochrome.

2. What the BILLS are doing, I believe, is trying to appease BOTH sets of fans

1. If they have blue pants (which I expect them to have), then wanna bet they still use blue pants at home on occasion? Yep, they will.

2. Don't overthink this one. What they are doing, is trying to clean up a disaster of a uniform and trying to make some cash from new threads.

With all that said, just watch, the Bills will still find a way to incorporate that sliver nickel color into their new scheme.

If it were done right, it might not look all that bad. Like if they kept it limited to a subtle highlight among the stripes or something.

Also, I agree with our esteemed colleague Mr. Bergan; this is not going to be a full on throwback. I think we'll see a "re-imagined" version of their current alt/throwback look.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm a longtime BILLS fan who grew up there, in North Buffalo. I've been following this thread non-stop and if you've seen my posts in the past on here you'd know I've hated the BILLS uniforms since 2002, and ESPECIALLY the monochrome look, and the midnight version of blue.

Every since 2005, when the '65 throwbacks became the alternate uni there have been major requests from the fans to go back fulltime to the '65 look. The argument against it by another faction was okay but NOT with the 'grazing' Buffalo logo. What many people don't realize or notice is that the blue from the 70s and a good part of the 80s is NOT the same blue as worn during the Super Bowl years. That midnight blue (what we currently wear) is too dark and never part of the BILLS 'storied history ... Also, the throwback blue is not royal, it's a lighter version of blue yet still a medium blue, unlike the royal blue was of the 90s. Royal is very bright.

Put a '65 throwback photo next to an early 90's superbowl blue and you'll clearly see the difference.

I believe the BILLS, without not yet unveiling the new uniform have told everyone in that message what it's going to look like. They were very careful in their wording of it.

In 2002 they tried to blend everything from 1960-2001 and add midnight blue to it .... total disaster!!! :wacko:

Letter to fans: The new uniforms will incorporate the team's storied history while keeping the team's signature charging buffalo logo.

Buffalo's 'storied' history is a medium shade of blue, either a 'colbalt' kind of blue, or royal blue. NOT a darker blue like the 2002-2010 version that is so hated by so many nationwide.

Now, if you've seen color photos of all the BILLS various uniforms over the years it's very clear to see that the charging Buffalo logo stands out much better on the white helmet than on the red helmet.

Everyone who said the BILLS must keep the helmet red, your reasons are 'because hardly anyone else wears red helmets'. That there is a very poor reason. Only Cleveland wears brown, so should others wear brown due to that reason? No way!

Many teams when looking at their helmet at a distance or on TV, you can barely make out their logo because the helmet blends in too much to their logo and it just doesn't stand out. The charging Buffalo stands outs superbly on the white helmet, it doesn't on the red one. The Chiefs are well suited with the red helmet because their logo is white.

Growing up my main gripe was wearing white pants on the road, way too much white. That problem was fixed in 1973 when we went to blue pants on the road. I DID however like the white on white throwback look when used in AFL-50 during the 2009 season. Why, because the better looking face-masks styles of our present time made them look better as did the black shoes. It still would have been nice to have the blue pants as an option for them and change 'em up at various times, but NOT blue monochrome.

In 1974 we went to the charging Buffalo and I thought that was really cool, just as i did the blue face-mask in 1976. Then the red helmet came for the '84 season and I was excited about that too (at that time) .... I am now totally sick of the red helmet. Before going to the red helmet we made the charging Buffalo logo a bit bigger in 1982, that was a good thing, but it worked cuz the helmet was white and it sooo stood out.

What the BILLS are doing, I believe, is trying to appease BOTH sets of fans ..... going back to the throwback look but maintaining the charging Buffalo, this way both of the main sets of fans with the 2 arguments are COMPROMISED.

What I forsee is that Buffalo will be going back to the '65, '75, or '83 throwback with the charging Buffalo, and the option of wearing either blue or white pants on the road, NO BLUE MONOCHROME and the red helmet will be shelved because our majority are demanding white.

The white helmets will be returning I'm quite sure and that's a good thing, because as I said prior the logo stands out much more on the white than it does the red.

What is unsure, is whether the face-masks will be the historic traditional gray, or the blue used from '76-'86 .... The red helmet ONLY looked acceptable with the white face-mask.

Other things we wonder is will the jersey numbers be on the sleeves, or shoulders (I'm hoping for) .... and will they eliminate the overdose of red on the sox.

In 2002 the uniform 'incorporated' a blend from the past with the addition of midnight blue. Now they're saying it will incorporate the storied history, so don't expect different blends minus the midnight blue ....

I expect the 2011 helmets to be returned to this ... most likely with the same blue face-mask.

35-69687-F.jpg

I'm gonna print this out and go read it in the bathroom.

just get a laptop:)

They won't be wearing white shoes.

And I doubt the 1970's socks make a return either (unless they are worn with the blue pants).

This isn't going to be a throwback uniform, folks.

'70s socks? That is what we call socks that were actually designed to go with a uniform and not just stock? What should we call plain color socks, Eastbay socks?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Now, if you've seen color photos of all the BILLS various uniforms over the years it's very clear to see that the charging Buffalo logo stands out much better on the white helmet than on the red helmet.

Everyone who said the BILLS must keep the helmet red, your reasons are 'because hardly anyone else wears red helmets'. That there is a very poor reason. Only Cleveland wears brown, so should others wear brown due to that reason? No way!

Many teams when looking at their helmet at a distance or on TV, you can barely make out their logo because the helmet blends in too much to their logo and it just doesn't stand out. The charging Buffalo stands outs superbly on the white helmet, it doesn't on the red one. The Chiefs are well suited with the red helmet because their logo is white.

That's not true. It's actually quite the contrary. The Browns are the only ones who wear brown. Uniqueness is always a plus and it also looks great. Therefore, they must not change their colors to something else. The same theory applies to the Bills. The red helmet, blue jersey, and white pants combo is unique and nice so that too should of remained untouched. Sure each element was of a different color, but the Bills are a team that pulled it off nicely.

Of course unlike you, I have not been watching the Bills games for that long of a time period. So I can't blame you for wanting a change. :P But I always enjoyed the triple color combo with the patriotic colors. The distinct look they once had will be missed.

Archived