What the Bills Should Do

epper

Glorious news was released today when it was announced that my beloved Buffalo Bills would be changing their uniforms for the 2011 season (if it is, in fact, played). In 2002, under the direction of clueless general manager Tom Donahoe, the Bills' uniforms became among the NFL's worst of all-time.

Here is a diehard fan's attempt to fix them, using the description released by the Bills today as "incorporating the team’s storied history while keeping the team’s signature charging buffalo logo".

What I did:

Unified the Striping Pattern: With today's shrinking NFL sleeves, the 4-stripe pattern used on the Bills AFL throbacks simply look goofy on most cuts of jersey. So I went with a new striping system using a single red stripe outlined by another stripe 2x the thickness (white on blue background, blue on white background). This applies to the stripes on the helmet, sleeves, pants and socks.

Helmet from '76-83: Only change being a thinner red stripe.

OJ-Era Blue Road Pants: Complete with red belts and white laces

Champion-style Block Numerals & Thick, Sans-Serif NOB font: Ala the Kelly-Era Bills

• Added a small BILLS wordmark under the collar, and returned to white shoes.

I think this blends the history of the team well, cleaning up some inconsistencies returning the Bills to a unique, timeless look in the league. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts. They might still play like crap for the next few years, but at least they won't look like it.

bills2011.png

Thanks to Andrew Harrington for the rad template.

Very nice! I'm partial to the red helmet, but I do like this look alot and think it would look good on the field. Nice job!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Use the red helmet instead and it's perfect.

I disagree. I like the white helmet. And it's been reported that the team will revert back to a white helmet, so this is more along the lines of what we'll actually see. I did read on UniWatch today that the uniforms will STILL include some navy blue trim, however. :(

gYH2mW9.png

Use the red helmet instead and it's perfect.

I disagree. I like the white helmet. And it's been reported that the team will revert back to a white helmet, so this is more along the lines of what we'll actually see. I did read on UniWatch today that the uniforms will STILL include some navy blue trim, however. :(

Fixed for you. REPEATED REDUNDANCY!!!

No, the white is better and thats what they are wearing.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I tweeted this thread/concept to a few of the hosts at WGR 550 Buffalo sports radio. Just got a retweet that they posted it on their website blog!

As for all the people clamoring for the red helmet, a few reason why I went with white:

• I just think the red helmet creates too much imbalance with the rest of the look. The helmet matches the pants of the home uni, and jersey of the road. I find the 3-color look (different colours for helmet-jersey-pants) is very hard to pull off without looking too gaudy, especially with 3 bright colours like this concept.

• A white helmet-royal blue facemask would be unique to the NFL. White-grey is done by the Colts, Cards and Red-white is done by the Chiefs.

I would be very happy to see this happen. You can't go wrong with a traditional look like this.

On a side note, I am so glad to see those brutal unis finally go. They look like such a mismatch. There must be something in the air in Buffalo that causes team owners to choose solid uniforms for their teams upon start-up, then switch to something disgusting, and then switch back to something similar to their original look.

sig.png

Really nicely done. Re the white vs. red helmet: If you use a red helmet, you really should use red pants (perhaps both home and away). Although the mental image I get says that red helmet and pants would look better with navy blue vs. royal blue, and the best Bills days clearly were in royal blue.

Packers-2.png

Archived