Evolution of the current Buffalo Sabres identity.

daschuck77

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best look the Sabres have had...

t_20611_07.jpg

2414649026.jpg

Classic usually beats new age looks, but not in this case. The black and red pwn the blue and yellow.

Your use of the meme-term "pwn" undercuts whatever point you may have had.

Classic usually beats new age looks, but not in this case. The black and red pwn the blue and yellow.

I would have thought his username already accomplished that.

First post of his I ever saw, I remarked to myself that we'd be seeing him in the name change thread, before long.

First post of his I ever saw, I remarked to myself that we'd be seeing him in the name change thread, before long.

Non Sabres related talk aside, he's right.

No he isn't. The goat head look was a terrible look for the Sabres.

In a vacuum, it's a great look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It is. It didn't exist in a vacuum, however.

The book cover test is probably a very good rule of thumb, but it is not perfect. the new Lightning logo is one of the highest scoring logos on this test, perhaps ever. Yet it has been widely ridiculed for being "too simple."

The book cover test is only one component of evaluating a logo. It's really the last stage of evaluation. Like I've said, a crappy logo can pass the book cover test, but no truly great logo will fail it. No crappy logo should ever make it to the point where the BC Test is even necessary.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It is. It didn't exist in a vacuum, however.

So then my post is totally correct.

t_20611_07.jpg

2414649026.jpg

Those uniforms sucked and thank God they're long gone. As I've said before the Sabres weren't founded in 1996, and it started a trend of NHL teams ripping off the New Jersey Devils color scheme. Whether it be in a vacuum or not, a bad uniform, is a bad uniform. Not only did the goat-head suck, but so did the horrific jersey font, as well as the atrocious jersey design they used. All of those changes to their identity combined to make the Sabres' look like a complete eyesore for an entire decade.

I would put those uniforms on par with the Flying-V jerseys that Vancouver crapped out in the late 1970's, not because of it's look, but because it was such a jarring change from an identity that didn't need to be changed at all.

I agree, but the look itself was no great shakes, even in a vacuum. The head logo was a good idea, but not well executed, the colors are tired and nondescript, and the number font was awful. The best thing I can say about those uniforms is that fortunately the Sabres didn't find room for their awful, unbalanced wordmark.

I agree, but the look itself was no great shakes, even in a vacuum. The head logo was a good idea, but not well executed, the colors are tired and nondescript, and the number font was awful. The best thing I can say about those uniforms is that fortunately the Sabres didn't find room for their awful, unbalanced wordmark.

Oh God, I forgot the wordmark. Thanks, for mentioning that too.

Correct if ultimately irrelevant (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). A team's visual history has to be considered when evaluating a uniform.

I never argued the point about visual history.

t_20611_07.jpg

2414649026.jpg

Not only are these jerseys the best the Sabres ever had, they represent the only time the team has looked good period. Saying they ripped off of the Devils Colour's is like saying the Rangers ripped off the Canadiens. The Colours are used in a completely different way and last time I checked the Devils never used "Slate." I also fail to see whats wrong with the font... but I digress since on these boards any team that doesn't use bloc numbers fails in that regard. LAstly will someone explain to me how the Buffalo head logo is executed poorly? To me it looks like the only time in Sabres history where the Buffalo actually looks like a Buffalo. On the original logo it looks like a non descript blob and on the 2006 update it looks like a slug.

Correct if ultimately irrelevant (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). A team's visual history has to be considered when evaluating a uniform.

No, it doesn't.

He's right. If a team looks like cr@p for their first 26 years they should look like cr@p forever as their current uniforms illustrate so well...

If it's nicknamed "the goathead", can it really be that good of a logo?

I mean, I get it, it's a buffalo head, snarling at you, but what in the hell does that have to do with "sabres"? They're the Sabres, not the Buffalo.

The jerseys are also atrocious, especially the little "horns" in the armpits and the gigantic shoulder yokes that extend past the nameplate, not to mention the font. For whatever reason, that uniform is used by so many Junior/Youth teams in so many different colors, and I've yet to find one that looks decent (Bradford Rattlers came the closest, and it was still ugly)

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

t_20611_07.jpg

2414649026.jpg

Not only are these jerseys the best the Sabres ever had, they represent the only time the team has looked good period. Saying they ripped off of the Devils Colour's is like saying the Rangers ripped off the Canadiens. The Colours are used in a completely different way and last time I checked the Devils never used "Slate." I also fail to see whats wrong with the font... but I digress since on these boards any team that doesn't use bloc numbers fails in that regard. LAstly will someone explain to me how the Buffalo head logo is executed poorly? To me it looks like the only time in Sabres history where the Buffalo actually looks like a Buffalo. On the original logo it looks like a non descript blob and on the 2006 update it looks like a slug.

They did rip off their colors, especially considering their identity was fine to begin with. Personally, I believe that for branding and identity purposes a sports league should make sure that none of it's teams have the same color combination at all. They may have used a bit of slate, but not nearly as much as they used black and red. Since then the Carolina Hurricanes went with nearly the same color combination as the Devils/Sabres did, and finally the Ottawa Senators have slowly but surely pushed gold out of their identity as well. We always harp on the NBA for having half the league in some form of blue and red, and the NHL isn't exempt from that criticism in this case as well. My issue was the whole need for change, as it was unnecessary and not even executed all that well. Sure those uniforms aren't the worst thing ever created, but for the Sabres it didn't work at all. That's my issue.

Archived