Searching for your 'whale'

I'd be content with a blue, but the white would be the ultimate.

I have one of these. Never wear it, and it's in pristine condition. I also got the blue one in a smaller size, which is a bit tight but still fits. I'm pretty sure I nabbed these when ProPlayer went out of business and liquidated all of their jerseys to Value City.

The white is a very nice looking jersey, and that's coming from a Devils fan :)

There is a blue (replica) authentic on ebay now... (and no, its not my auction).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250781525140&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

I was excited until I saw it was a Starter *shudders*

Yeah, but its an authentic and didn't the Rangers wear starters back then?

Arrrghh it's a 48... i'm a 52

Unless it is just the flash from the camera, the crest is the wrong blue. It looks like the blue from the regular home jersey.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tam_bolts_95_3rd_large.jpg

coyotes3rd.jpg

Mainly I liked these jerseys as a kid, but because they became extinct I wasn't able to get them when I was building up my hockey jersey collection

While these two are not my White Whales I need these in my collection!

I have both and can still fit in them too...(nice bonus). ^_^

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I have one of these. Never wear it, and it's in pristine condition. I also got the blue one in a smaller size, which is a bit tight but still fits. I'm pretty sure I nabbed these when ProPlayer went out of business and liquidated all of their jerseys to Value City.

There is a blue (replica) authentic on ebay now... (and no, its not my auction).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250781525140&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Am I missing something? I own a Starter Coyotes authentic and it's one of the heaviest, best-constructed jerseys I own. And as I understand it, Pro Player took the reins from Starter on making replicas, and Pro Players are widely considered to be the highest-quality replicas ever made, so I'd assume Starter also maintained a high level of quality in that regard.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I really want to get a Charlotte Hornets Nike Swingmen jersey. Prefer Baron Davis since I loved watching him growing up, but I'd settle for anyone. I lived in South Carolina around the time the Hornets moved to New Orleans, and a store at our mall had a ton of Hornets Nike Swingmen of Jamal Mashburn and Baron Davis for 30 bucks. I thought I could fine one a lot cheaper in the next few years. I hardly ever see them on Ebay, and when I do it is usually for Mashburn and they go for a good amount.

I also really want to get the first CavFanatic jersey from the 09-10 season. I'd much prefer to get one that is not of Lebron. I've never seen one for any player besides Lebron though, but I remember the Cavs website having them for Mo and Gibson too. Wish I could find one for Mo or Gibson on Ebay.

T1oYViW.png

Pro Players are widely considered to be the highest-quality replicas ever made, so I'd assume Starter also maintained a high level of quality in that regard.

Really? I have two Pro Player replicas and hate them. For my money the last model of CCM replicas are the best.

I think the hate for Starter jerseys comes from their crappy replicas.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I've got the Lightning, Coyotes, and red, black, and yellow Canucks jerseys previously posted. My advice on finding what you're looking for is to frequently check ebay and other auction sites, you just never know what will pop up and when. I ended up finding my Canucks jersey for $96 about 8 months ago.

Also, have a firm idea of how much you're willing to spend. It's a hobby, don't put yourself in the red. ^_^ If I spend less than I had budgeted for a jersey, I carry that amount over to use for another one. Only way I was able to get a LA Kings Burger King.

Sodboy, do you know the name of the old alternate jersey font? It's pretty distinctive and different from the home and road set of the time, as you know. Have you gotten one done somewhere?

You have a storm jersey AND Burger King?

Please don't say you have a Wild Wing jersey too.

Guilty as charged. :hockeysmiley:

I've got the Lightning, Coyotes, and red, black, and yellow Canucks jerseys previously posted. My advice on finding what you're looking for is to frequently check ebay and other auction sites, you just never know what will pop up and when. I ended up finding my Canucks jersey for $96 about 8 months ago.

Also, have a firm idea of how much you're willing to spend. It's a hobby, don't put yourself in the red. ^_^ If I spend less than I had budgeted for a jersey, I carry that amount over to use for another one. Only way I was able to get a LA Kings Burger King.

Sodboy, do you know the name of the old alternate jersey font? It's pretty distinctive and different from the home and road set of the time, as you know. Have you gotten one done somewhere?

You have a storm jersey AND Burger King?

Please don't say you have a Wild Wing jersey too.

Guilty as charged. :hockeysmiley:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Another white whale that I'm currently working on is finding an affordable "St. Patrick's day hockey jersey". I don't remember an NHL team ever actually wearing a St. Patrick's day jersey in game, but it seems like a lot of minor league teams do it every year, so you'd think it'd be easy to find a cheap one somewhere, but all of the ones I've found on ebay (like the 3 below) are all $350+. I know they're so high because they're game worn and/or autographed, and I'd actually prefer it if they were new and blank, but I assume it's so hard to find them that way because they wouldn't mass produce a one-off game jersey. I'd be pretty open to getting just about any team's jersey, with maybe a few exceptions. These St. Patrick's day jerseys just seem to usually be so ridiculous that I need one in my collection.

StPats3.jpg

StPats2.jpg

StPats1.jpg

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

I used to have a Mitchell and Ness Colorado Rockies (NHL) jersey, but sold it a couple years ago because it never fit too well. I searched for another M&N Rockies jersey for a couple years until I bought a CCM model a few weeks ago.

As for my current "white whales"...

2009-10 Flint Generals jersey

Detroit Vipers game-worn

1998-99 Saginaw Gears throwback (from the Lumber Kings "Gears Reunion Night")

California Golden Seals jersey

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I really want to get a Charlotte Hornets Nike Swingmen jersey. Prefer Baron Davis since I loved watching him growing up, but I'd settle for anyone. I lived in South Carolina around the time the Hornets moved to New Orleans, and a store at our mall had a ton of Hornets Nike Swingmen of Jamal Mashburn and Baron Davis for 30 bucks. I thought I could fine one a lot cheaper in the next few years. I hardly ever see them on Ebay, and when I do it is usually for Mashburn and they go for a good amount.

I also really want to get the first CavFanatic jersey from the 09-10 season. I'd much prefer to get one that is not of Lebron. I've never seen one for any player besides Lebron though, but I remember the Cavs website having them for Mo and Gibson too. Wish I could find one for Mo or Gibson on Ebay.

I sold my Baron jersey after he screwed the Hornets over a few years back, but I've still got my Mash jersey...

My "whale" would probably be a 1977-81 Milwaukee Bucks road jersey, preferably either Marques Johnson or Sidney Moncrief. I've just bought a 1984 Bucks road jersey (Lanier) and am working on a DIY 1986 home version, but i need the first incarnation of the "Irish Rainbow" for my collection to be complete.

Another white whale that I'm currently working on is finding an affordable "St. Patrick's day hockey jersey". I don't remember an NHL team ever actually wearing a St. Patrick's day jersey in game.

Did the Leafs ever wear their St.Pats jersys on St. Patricks day?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

AAAAC_TC4YgAAAAAABmFeg.jpg?v=1229221251000

As well as

900A1V_1961_LAA_STD.jpg

These are actually pretty easy to find online.

In fact, here you go.

As for me, I'd love a J.T. Snow (I'd also settle for Salmon or Chili) 1996 Angels' jersey. I had a Snow one won on eBay, but I got outbid with 30 seconds left.

Strangely enough, I had a green Mighty Ducks Averman jersey (i.e. the one from the first movie...the Hendrix USA one was on there as well) won and got outbid at the last second as well. I have terrible luck on ebay.

Another white whale that I'm currently working on is finding an affordable "St. Patrick's day hockey jersey". I don't remember an NHL team ever actually wearing a St. Patrick's day jersey in game.

Did the Leafs ever wear their St.Pats jersys on St. Patricks day?

Good point. I'm not sure if they have, but probably. I don't have a Toronto St. Pats jersey, but I'm contemplating picking one up eventually. They're not hard to find, so there's no hurry.

In searching for the white whale of a goofy St. Patrick's day minor league hockey jersey, I went to the Reading Royals site, just to see if they might by chance have any of those great St. Pats jerseys with the lion smoking a pipe, and wearing a monacle, left over for sale. While they don't have any of those, they do have this years jersey up for sale, new and without personalization. It doesn't look like the lion is smoking the pipe, or wearing the monacle, anymore, but it still is a pretty awesomely goofy jersey. Apparently, the Royals celebrate "St. Hatrick's day" and a local jazz fest together, hence the pink logos on the shoulders, that I assume are the logo posted below, and the leprechauns playing jazz instruments. I'm not sure I can pass this one up.

GreenLarge20Web.jpg

berksjazzfestnewslice3.jpg

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

For me, I'd say it would be just about anything to do with the Minnesota Fighting Pike. They only played one year and I've never even seen a photo of game action let alone an actual piece of apparel, jersey or otherwise.

Am I missing something? I own a Starter Coyotes authentic and it's one of the heaviest, best-constructed jerseys I own. And as I understand it, Pro Player took the reins from Starter on making replicas, and Pro Players are widely considered to be the highest-quality replicas ever made, so I'd assume Starter also maintained a high level of quality in that regard.

To be honest I've never owned or seen a Starter Authentic but their Replica's were by far the worst I've ever seen. The crests were slapped together with no metallic colours (Where applicable) and little regard to detail. After a few years they began to peel off the front the jerseys revealing a cheap plastic backing and wrinkled very easily because of it. After a few washes they looked just as bad the counterfeit Edge knockoffs do today.

First hockey jersey I ever had was a Starter Blackhawks jersey, bought in '94. Never had any of those issues with it. I wonder if those quality issues started manifesting themselves toward Starter's end.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived