Searching for your 'whale'

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I'd share my whale story because it's a jersey that has taken me forever to get. Anyway, after four years of searching, I finally bought myself a Vancouver Canucks 40th Anniversary jersey that they wore for only a small amount of games in the 2010-11 season. Back in 2011, I was at a flea market and I had the chance to buy one for $80, but I forgot my wallet and I went back and I never saw the guy selling it again. Because of my stupidity on that day in 2011, I ended up waiting four years for the opportunity to finally get one and just as I thought I was never going to find one for sale again, I found someone selling the jersey and I bought it and I feel like I wrote a huge jersey wrong, as that jersey is one of my favorite hockey jerseys.

• 2 months later...

I decided I needed this hat for nostalgic reasons about a month ago. You can't go wrong with a hat worn by Clark Griswold *and* Dan Conner.

bears_script_2_grande.jpg?v=1366331721

I was bidding on one on eBay a few weeks back, but lost it for $17. I didn't know at the time that these were so in-demand. There are a few on eBay for $70 or more that don't sell, but I've been watching for a month to see if another one is posted. Nothing so far.

I know some people on here have posted of websites with vintage caps. I'm looking specifically for this version, not the orange-brimmed version with white outlines. Extensive Google searches have left me with nothing on this cap. The original caps were made by Sports Specialties, but Mitchell & Ness and a few others have reproduced them. SS made wool and corduroy versions. I'd take any Sports Specialties version or M&N, no preference. I'm just looking to spend $35 or less shipped. Let me know if anybody knows where to find this.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 1 month later...

new-era-gray-toronto-blue-jays-coopersto

I found one of my most sought after caps!!! At a mall an hour from my house that I NEVER go to. A store which is apparently a sister of Lids was selling hats at 50% off. This one was already marked down to $20. It was the ONLY one they had and it just HAPPENED to be 7 1/4. A force beyond me drew me to that store. I thoroughly believe that. This cost me $10.40. Outstanding!

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I found one of my most sought after caps!!! At a mall an hour from my house that I NEVER go to. A store which is apparently a sister of Lids was selling hats at 50% off. This one was already marked down to $20. It was the ONLY one they had and it just HAPPENED to be 7 1/4. A force beyond me drew me to that store. I thoroughly believe that. This cost me $10.40. Outstanding!

Nice find. The black low crown version of that hat was my whale and I found it on eBay earlier this year. Love that logo, just wish Toronto would have made a royal blue version of that cap.

I decided I needed this hat for nostalgic reasons about a month ago. You can't go wrong with a hat worn by Clark Griswold *and* Dan Conner.

I was bidding on one on eBay a few weeks back, but lost it for $17. I didn't know at the time that these were so in-demand. There are a few on eBay for $70 or more that don't sell, but I've been watching for a month to see if another one is posted. Nothing so far.

I know some people on here have posted of websites with vintage caps. I'm looking specifically for this version, not the orange-brimmed version with white outlines. Extensive Google searches have left me with nothing on this cap. The original caps were made by Sports Specialties, but Mitchell & Ness and a few others have reproduced them. SS made wool and corduroy versions. I'd take any Sports Specialties version or M&N, no preference. I'm just looking to spend $35 or less shipped. Let me know if anybody knows where to find this.

wait you lost for $17??? what were the search terms on ebay??

i can't believe someone got it for so low!

i have sold two the last 2 christmases for $300 each!

i follow the sports specialties script market very closely---check ebay + etsy daily.

and have a huge collection of these hats: instagram.com/noahgeoman/

Nice find. The black low crown version of that hat was my whale and I found it on eBay earlier this year. Love that logo, just wish Toronto would have made a royal blue version of that cap.
They had the black one along with the "T" hat as well. Even one with black crown/blue bill.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

wait you lost for $17??? what were the search terms on ebay??

i can't believe someone got it for so low!

i have sold two the last 2 christmases for $300 each!

i follow the sports specialties script market very closely---check ebay + etsy daily.

and have a huge collection of these hats: instagram.com/noahgeoman/

Great to see this collection! Brings back memories.

When they came back in style a few years ago, I stocked up again, but nothing tops the original Sports Specialties caps for me.

I don't have a Bears one for you admiral, but you could go against the grain and buy my Bulls cap from that era. :)

Or the L.A. Raiders one that I bought because I was convinced it would make me rich one day... probably should have put it out there when Straight Outta Compton was released. Although their cap inaccuracies probably hurt the market.

I also have Cowboys in the original style and an assortment of black and white versions that came out on either side of 1990.

• 6 months later...
On 10/25/2013 at 0:06 PM, phutmasterflex said:

I bought mine from a store near Angel Stadium several months ago. Standard pricing too. I think they might have one more of that size. I'd help you out but I rarely go to Anaheim unless it's baseball season.

For me, it's the 2003 Padres cap

bwns_5431-0.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-NEW-ERA-MLB-VINTAGE-RETRO-PINCH-HITTER-REPLICA-CAP-HAT-NEW-/121693651308?hash=item1c5581c16c:m:mxb1dCclfWMlId3EzTOwEEA

ALykGdZ.png

Archived