1980s DC Comics color guide

DG_ThenNowForever

I figured people would get a kick out of this:

dcpantone-570x747.jpg

This is another page from DC's official style guide, but with an added little bonus for all us graphic designers out there--the Pantone color swatches to be used for each character!

Back when I worked at an art studio that produced merchandise for Marvel, Dark Horse, MTV, and other companies, I don't remember ever getting any official colors to use--for the most part we were left to our own devices...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I tend to not post very much (been coming here since about 2000, and I don't feel I have a lot to add, but I sure have learned a lot about logos, jerseys and sports from this great board), but it's cool to find other people on this board have the same DC interests I have. I visit the Aquaman Shrine daily, and I have my own very limited DC Animated website dcugalleries.ca (hasn't been updated in way too long). I even tried doing a version of hockey players in that style, but I have to find them. If you want some more of the 80's guides, check out http://www.comicartcommunity.com/ under José Luis García-López. There are a lot listed there.

I'm a lifelong DC fan (since I got my Mom's comics when I was 4 years old in 1974), and it's nice to see my comic geekiness is not limited to comic sites :)

I tend to not post very much (been coming here since about 2000, and I don't feel I have a lot to add, but I sure have learned a lot about logos, jerseys and sports from this great board), but it's cool to find other people on this board have the same DC interests I have. I visit the Aquaman Shrine daily, and I have my own very limited DC Animated website dcugalleries.ca (hasn't been updated in way too long). I even tried doing a version of hockey players in that style, but I have to find them. If you want some more of the 80's guides, check out http://www.comicartcommunity.com/ under José Luis García-López. There are a lot listed there.

I'm a lifelong DC fan (since I got my Mom's comics when I was 4 years old in 1974), and it's nice to see my comic geekiness is not limited to comic sites :)

Very interesting. I haven't seen those, but will be adding them to my color database (!).

I'm also a huge Aquaman fan (I go back to the '60s Superman-Aquaman Hour cartoon) and am also a frequent visitor to the Aquaman Shrine.

Very interesting. I haven't seen those, but will be adding them to my color database (!).

I'm also a huge Aquaman fan (I go back to the '60s Superman-Aquaman Hour cartoon) and am also a frequent visitor to the Aquaman Shrine.

Super Friends and reruns of the Superman-Aquaman Hour also helped. Being Canadian I didn't get them until we got cable in 1975 at my house, then my world opened up :)

I am really liking Aquaman's return from "lameness". If you use the Super Friends version of ANY character, they were all bad. Aquaman was just a good target...

Archived