The "Letter In An Oval" logo

sc49erfan15

I see this style of logo everywhere...a serifed letter inside of an oval, with the letter taking the shape of the outside of the oval. The most prominent example I can think of is BYU's "Y"...I assume the Packers'/Georgia "G" fits the category as well.

BYU.gif

It's one of the most basic logos possible, therefore it's used in a lot of high school and small college sports. I guess my question is: are these all adaptations of the Packers' G? The BYU Y? If not, who used it first? I've found some older examples - the Packers first used theirs in 1961.

Akron, 1966:

Akron_OLD9.gif

Eastern Kentucky, 1965-67:

Eastern_Kentucky_OLD3.gif

Colorado School of Mines, current:

Colorado_Mines_OLD3.gif

Northern Michigan, current:

Northern_Michigan.gif

Penn, 1970s:

Penn_OLD2.gif

Virginia, early '70s:

Virginia_OLD1.gif

Wisconsin, early '70s:

Wisconsin_OLD1.gif

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

None of your links appear to be working.

That's because he's trying to link from The Helmet Project, which is a big no-no.

Whoops...links added to my Photobucket. I should've known better.

Ry, I've never seen that before. I guess my question now is did the Packers get their logo from there, or did someone else come up with the basic idea first?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

My high school, Kanab HS (UT), had a K in an oval logo through the late 1970s-early 80s (before I was born):

Circa 1978:

c1p2.jpg

1980 (Black Oval/Red K):

c6p4.jpg

Also note the fugly "half-and-half" pants (red front, white back)

1983:

c1p5.jpg

I'm not sure why not every player had the logo on their helmet; must have been a Varsity/JV thing.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Note the little indentations on the ends of the shape. In spite of the "oval" label at the top of the page, that's clearly intended to be a football -- which makes it a different shape than the elliptical figure on the Packers' helmets. :)

Well, let's see. That catalogue is from 1970, well after Dad Braisher put the "G" logo on the Packers' helmets.

Looks like the earliest of your examples comes from the mid-1960s, so I suspect that they might be cashing in on the Packers' success.

If it weren't a ripoff, the G would look much more like the rest of the letters... particularly the C.

Note the little indentations on the ends of the shape. In spite of the "oval" label at the top of the page, that's clearly intended to be a football -- which makes it a different shape than the elliptical figure on the Packers' helmets. :)

Well, let's see. That catalogue is from 1970, well after Dad Braisher put the "G" logo on the Packers' helmets.

Looks like the earliest of your examples comes from the mid-1960s, so I suspect that they might be cashing in on the Packers' success.

If it weren't a ripoff, the G would look much more like the rest of the letters... particularly the C.

Yes, note how the G is the only one there that is sans-serif

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

I've always liked those Angelus Pacific oval letter decals. I have one of those catalogs linked to (thanks for that by the way) but it's from the late 1990s or early 2000s.

I believe the Packers were the first to use the style in 1961. I cannot recall seeing any version before that and they were popular in the 1960s and 70s.

Some examples:

Austin Reagan HS (Texas):

1AustinReagan-vi.jpg

Western Illinois:

1WesternIllU-vi.jpg

Tulane:

Tulanehelmet1965-vi.jpg

FsQiF2W.png

Austin Reagan HS (Texas)

I lived in Austin, TX and attended Pierce Jr. High (go Pirates) and would have attended Regan H.S. (Regan Raiders) but we moved back to Kansas before my 8th grade year.

I remember when they played "Earl Campbell" & Tyler H.S. in the playoffs. Earl destroyed the Regan team that year.

Our Pee-Wee Football Team was the Raiders; white helmets with a powder blue "block" letter "R" on our helmets. We weren't very good either.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived