Rate 'em: NBA

srj34

I read a bunch of different threads where people express preferences at random. Some teams are never discussed at all. I'd like to see a thread where each identity is compared to each other, a hierarchy, so I made this.

30. New Jersey Nets - Boring color scheme, boring uniforms, boring logo. Nothing to see here.

29. Los Angeles Clippers - New Jersey Nets east.

28. Denver Nuggets - It's a horrible color scheme in any event, moreso for their team name. Font and logo are pretty good, though.

27. Memphis Grizzlies - Three shades of blue, Grizz? Really? Logo and font is pretty okay, though.

26. Charlotte Bobcats - Points for a semi-uncommon color scheme, points off for everything else.

25. Detroit Pistons - Among the less horrible RWB teams.

24. Atlanta Hawks - There is nothing less hawkish than the Hawks' color scheme. Some sort of dark red, tan-flavored off-white, and black would be great IMO.

23. Minnesota Timberwolves - that franchise identity is crying out for a lot of green. The logo's fine, the font...not so much.

22. Oklahoma City Thunder - Looks okay for what it is, but the logo needs something. Anything.

21. Orlando Magic - What the hell has happened to Orlando? Their blue - which was awesome - is darker and suckier, their font is worse, their unis are worse, their logo is worse...this franchise identity was top three in the McGrady era.

20. Cleveland Cavaliers - Another fall from grace (not just from the perspective of identity). Positive: the logo is still good. Negatives: the uniforms are wretched - pure amateur hour. The new gold is horrible. Maybe the idea is just to slog along in bad unis until the next franchise player comes along, then comes another change to something good.

19. Los Angeles Lakers - With the great success this franchise has had, they're locked in with this identity forever, aren't they?

18. Utah Jazz - The Jazz always seem to get something wrong without being outright horrible. This fauxback thing they've got going now just keeps that tradition alive.

17. Milwaukee Bucks - Decent, not great. I'm not sure the red belongs.

16. Houston Rockets - Though their current ID is their best yet, I've never liked anything they've put out there.

15. Golden State Warriors - This is a good look for them. A definite upgrade.

14. Indiana Pacers - One of my favorite identities with the exception of their logo. Their circa-2000 look was better than the current, though.

13. New York Knicks - Having been around as long as the NBA seems to guarantee that the Knicks will look like this forever. Not a bad thing in this case.

12-11. Chicago Bulls/Portland Trail Blazers - Hard for me to say one is clearly better than the other.

10. Toronto Raptors - I like their identity slightly more than 11 & 12. Better logo and uniform font.

9. Dallas Mavericks - I wish so badly that they would have simply promoted the blue "Mavs" alternate to full-time road. The new full-time road is unsatisfying.

8. Phoenix Suns - One of the most positively unique looks in pro sports, and their current iteration is their best yet.

7. New Orleans Hornets - A great marriage of city and color scheme; they just need the name Jazz back but I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

6. Sacramento Kings - GREAT color scheme. Lousy font. Okay logo.

5. Philadelphia 76ers - Now this is perhaps the only appropriate use of RWB in American sports, except for the New England Patriots (and perhaps teams in Washington DC). Everything else the Sixers use is smooth and classy.

4. Boston Celtics - This is probably blasphemy to most, but I wish their black-trimmed alts were the full-time roads. For that matter, I wish the home whites had a smidge of black trim. Regardless, the C's have always had great ID.

3. Miami Heat - Excellent. A great red, judicious use of gold trim, nice font, good logo...the Heat do it right.

2. Washington Wizards - Their great color scheme negates their silly logos and terrible font, for me. I'll miss this color scheme.

1. San Antonio Spurs - I probably should have just left the Spurs out since they're my only favorite team in sports, so if it helps you to evaluate my list, just pretend I did.

30. Phoenix Suns - Orange & Gray, really? Uni's look like something that should be worn on a rollerderby team. Worst in NBA!!

29. Oklahoma City Thunder - WTF?

28. Sacramento Kings - ugh...they look like they are wearing WNBA uni's

27. Houston Rockets - Waaaaaay too busy

26. Minnesota T'Wolves - Just keep it simple

25. Milwaukee Bucks - Please go back to your original uni's

24. Toronto Raptors - The Carter-era uni's were 100% unique...roll with it, you're Toronto

23. Memphis Grizzles - Again, the Vancouver originals were unique. Now they look like Nuggets wanna-be's

22. New Jersey Nets - Lots of room for improvement

21. Washington Wizards - Nice colors....yea, that's the only nice thing I could think of

20. Cleveland Cavaliers - USC Trojans? I love basic uni's, but they took it too far. Please go back to the 90's uni's

19. Atlanta Hawks - No longer unique. When I watch highlights, sometimes I'm not even sure who they are

18. Dallas Mavericks - I don't hate them, but I don't love them either

17. Orlando Magic - Love that the pinstripes are back

16. Utah Jazz - The new look is a step in the right direction

15. New Orleans Hornets - The yellow MUST go

14. New York Knicks - Just keep it simple and get rid of the black

13. Indiana Pacers - Boring but not an eye-sore

12. Miami Heat - Southern version of the Bulls/Trailblazers

11. Denver Nuggets - LOVE the colors, but their uni's are too shiney

10. Charlotte Bobcats - Drastic improvement

9. San Antonio Spurs - Awesome retro look, but they look dirty for some reason

8. Chicago Bulls - Not bad

7. Detroit Pistons - Another team that smartly went back to the retro look

6. Philadelphia 76ers - Same as Pistons

5. Portland Trailblazers - Kept their unique look throughout the years...kudos!

4. Golden State Warriors - Love the colors and thank god they went back to their old school look

3. Los Angeles Lakers - When you think of Purple and Gold, you instantly think of the Lakers. These uni's are iconic

2. Boston Celtics - They get knocked down from #1 because of their hideous alternate uni's

1. Los Angeles Clippers - Simple, retro, great use of their colors, and the whole look seems to flow perfectly. Best in the NBA!

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

5, 27, 18, 21, 9, 4, 1, 30, 16, 6, 19, 20, 24, 2, 29, 12, 15, 8, 25, 22, 13, 11, 7, 10, 28, 14, 23, 26, 3, and the Powerball is 17.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I abstain.

Another one of these?

One can abstain by, you know, not posting.

Besides, my understanding of internet etiquette is that it's bad form to resurrect old, dead threads. I'm sorry I haven't been here for nearly six years. Maybe I'd be sick of them, and every other topic posted here, too.

Decent list that clearly took some time, but I'm not sure that I agree with the Spurs being first.

Well, like I said, I probably shouldn't have rated the Spurs at all, being so close to them. Do you have your own list?

I disagree with most of this list.

Do you have your own list?

The best critique of my list would be one of your own.

you put the nets and clippers last because you say they are boring yet you put the spurs first? I also think that that the spurs have a great identity but your reasons are inconsistent.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

I don't usually "trash" someone's threads or lists, but dude.... The list is completely screwed.

I LOVE the Spurs and the Black/Silver combo on ANY team, but even I don't think they're first. RWB is boring? The colors of the American flag is boring? Lakers at 19... really?

Ok, I'll stop.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I don't usually "trash" someone's threads or lists, but dude.... The list is completely screwed.

I LOVE the Spurs and the Black/Silver combo on ANY team, but even I don't think they're first. RWB is boring? The colors of the American flag is boring? Lakers at 19... really?

Ok, I'll stop.

Don't forget putting the Wizards at 2... Wizards at #2 made me go: :shocked:

90758391980.gif

Ok, I'll stop.

Don't forget putting the Wizards at 2... Wizards at #2 made me go: :shocked:

Yeah, I agree, especially since I can think of about 29 other teams that have better identities then the 'Zards.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

After reading the Nuggets "horrible color scheme in any event, moreso for their team name" and the Magic "blue - which was awesome - is darker and suckier" and the fact that most of your higher teams are up there simply because of their color schemes as you mention the rest of their identities are bland, it is rather clear you don't really have a lot of quality opinions on the subject and simply wanted to start a thread about something you THINK you know a lot about. I mean, who uses the term "darker and suckier" and expects their opinions to be taken seriously? And having the Wizards 2nd just drives that point home.

Forgot to mention, more black for the Celtics? C'mon. Seriously?

After reading the Nuggets "horrible color scheme in any event, moreso for their team name" and the Magic "blue - which was awesome - is darker and suckier" and the fact that most of your higher teams are up there simply because of their color schemes as you mention the rest of their identities are bland, it is rather clear you don't really have a lot of quality opinions on the subject and simply wanted to start a thread about something you THINK you know a lot about. I mean, who uses the term "darker and suckier" and expects their opinions to be taken seriously? And having the Wizards 2nd just drives that point home.

Forgot to mention, more black for the Celtics? C'mon. Seriously?

Did I say I have any sort of expert qualification on the subject? This is just the rantings of a fan. Everyone is free to take this as seriously as they wish.

The fact that you seem to take great personal offense to this tells me you take this :censored:waaaay too seriously.

But yeah, my topic has failed. Instead of getting other people's NBA ratings, I got everyone reacting to my list. I guess now I'll just clear the floor and leave this to the experts from now on.

Definitely NOT. If anything, the crappy "Creole Blue" needs to revert to green. But keep the purple AND yellow.

Teal and Purple were brilliant colors that made the Charlotte Hornets so unique. If New Orleans wants to get away from those colors, then they should change the name too. That team is going to move again anyways though. On a positive note: Their Mardi Gras themed alternates are unique...I like'em.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Definitely NOT. If anything, the crappy "Creole Blue" needs to revert to green. But keep the purple AND yellow.

Teal and Purple were brilliant colors that made the Charlotte Hornets so unique. If New Orleans wants to get away from those colors, then they should change the name too. That team is going to move again anyways though. On a positive note: Their Mardi Gras themed alternates are unique...I like'em.

I agree with both of you, partially. I think their best color scheme was teal, purple, and yellow, and their best uniforms in franchise history were the ones they wore throughout most of the 2000's. The teal was great because it was a connection to their Charlotte days, while also close enough to green that it made the uniforms very Mardi Gras. And even if the team is going to move, they might as well look as Mardi Gras as possible during their time in NO.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The introduction of gold was meant to go with the Mardi Gras colors of NOLA while still maintaining the original colors. Now they've been altered a little but they still work and should NOT be changed.

The introduction of gold was meant to go with the Mardi Gras colors of NOLA while still maintaining the original colors. Now they've been altered a little but they still work and should NOT be changed.

I think if they used the yellow as an outline color, that would've been a nice 'Nola' touch, but they have almost turned it into their primary and it doesn't look good next to teal when it's that dominate. I love when a team takes on the city's image, but there should be a limit. Teal and Purple as the primary with a touch of yellow (maybe outlining the numbers) works alot better in my opinion. It's still a shame they moved. The Hornets logo will forever be Charlotte in my eyes.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived