Possible Change for Arizona State?

ShlyKBMT

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this has been rumored for a while. They're going to switch to a pitchfork on the helmet a la Florida State's spear, and someone mentioned that there was an indication of the long-rumored black jersey in the video, but I didn't see it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

There are quite a few jokes I could make about ASU in this case, but I'm not going to bother.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So is the pitchfork outline I see at the end what's going to be on the helmet?

Probably.

I can live with adding black (granted its usually unnecessary) to the unis, but any move away from the Sparky logo would be a horrible one. If there is going to be a "pitchfork" helmet, hopefully its only for a single game or special occasions.

A permanent helmet switch/redesign would be the worst decision ever. As a grad, masters grad, and current employee of ASU I can tell you most people think this is silly and unnecessary. The phrase "It's Time" keeps getting used by the athletic department... I think "It's Time" to start winning games to become relevant...worry about the uniforms later.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I can't understand why ASU would consider black uniforms. Regardless of the fact that it would look terrible, it would be incredibly stupid for either UA or ASU to wear black. For :censored:'s sake, both schools are in the Sonoran Desert!

I can't understand why ASU would consider black uniforms. Regardless of the fact that it would look terrible, it would be incredibly stupid for either UA or ASU to wear black. For :censored:'s sake, both schools are in the Sonoran Desert!

Agreed. Black uniforms make absolutely no sense due to the weather...aesthetics is just the second reason not to. Ditching Sparky would push a lot of fans over the edge, including yours truly.

It's not like night games are particularly cool either. There have been plenty of warm night games at Arizona Stadium and I suspect that Scum Devil Stadium is no different. :grin:

It's not like night games are particularly cool either. There have been plenty of warm night games at Arizona Stadium and I suspect that Scum Devil Stadium is no different. :grin:

Both are terrible in the heat and nighttime is no relief...I actually grew up in Tucson so I've been to my fair share of U of A games.

What also bothers me is that in the video (at the end) the pitchfork looks more like a trident.

I'm actually going to the event on Saturday, where I've heard rumors they'll be unveiling a new/renovated Sun Devil Stadium, new uniforms for football, new one piece suit for Sparky and a more aggressive funding campaign.

I'll try to grab pictures. I'm really excited about this, but I don't know how I feel about a possible removal of Sparky from the helmet.

I'm actually going to the event on Saturday, where I've heard rumors they'll be unveiling a new/renovated Sun Devil Stadium, new uniforms for football, new one piece suit for Sparky and a more aggressive funding campaign.

I'll try to grab pictures. I'm really excited about this, but I don't know how I feel about a possible removal of Sparky from the helmet.

Ditto, except I'll be there for work...I'm more excited about the stadium renovations, which are seriously overdue.

Me neither. I thought ASU solidified their football uniforms last season. Sparky makes a good helmet mascot; the pitchfork makes me think... IU Hoosiers.

*Images of favorite sports teams/players*

Nah, ASU's uniforms were much better* before the addition of the black trim.

*As better as those rust and mustard abominations can be.

Ditto, except I'll be there for work...I'm more excited about the stadium renovations, which are seriously overdue.

I can't wait to see what they have in-store for the stadium either. Do you think they're going to go with a whole new stadium? Or is SDS just going get renovated?

I can't wait to see what they have in-store for the stadium either. Do you think they're going to go with a whole new stadium? Or is SDS just going get renovated?

I suspect they're doing the same thing that we are and renovating. I don't think either school can afford a new stadium at this point.

I'm actually not against this for a couple of reasons. For one, the current Arizona State Sun Devil logo is...well...controversial. I mean, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I hate when there is controversy with sports branding b/c of forced perceptions, but I understand the change I guess.

Also, I wouldn't mind black. I thought I disliked the black when they added the trim, but I quickly got used to it, and now it doesn't even phase me. Burgundy, Gold, and Black can be a pretty darn good combination...and the color scheme would definitely separate them from USC

Archived