Ithaca College Bombers new mascot

chestnutz

Ithaca College has been conducting a search for a mascot since the start of 2011. The name "Bombers" isn't changing, but the school has zero identity really, aside from the IC monogram. So they're looking for a visual mascot (animal, object, etc) to go with the name (e.g. Bomber the ..., think how Cornell is the Big Red and has a bear as the logo). The thing that sucks and that most students are angry about is that it can in no way be associated with war, bomber planes, an actual bomb, etc.

Anyway, here are the choices after the committee took in all student suggestions and chose their top 3.

(These are prelim sketches, not final)

The Phoenix

Picture2-2.png

The Flying Squirrel

Picture3-1.png

The Lake Monster (Cayuga Lake)

Picture4-1.png

So far students either A. hate the whole idea of a new mascot or B. hate all of these choices. Phoenix seems to be the favorite, as it's the least radical. Not many like the lake monster, it has a more "WTF" reaction, because no one has ever heard of a lake monster in Cayuga Lake (the lake IC is on). Flying Squirrel is either loved or hated. I love it, it's unique, hilarious, and freakin' adorable. We're a small DIII school, we don't really need to take ourselves too seriously, nobody cares about athletics here except Cortaca. As Bombers is a completely unique name to only Ithaca in collegiate sports, they need a completely unique (as far as I know) mascot. Plus, I can't help but think of how awesome Plan B.'s flying squirrel logo turned out.

Thoughts?

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

As an alum, they're all pretty dumb. Ithaca has always been the nebulous "Bombers," and short of going to DI, I really don't see the benefit of ascribing an official mascot. The old-timey fighter pilot at football games that kind of is/kind of isn't the mascot worked well enough for the past several decades. Why make a change now?

So yeah, none of the above. The school doesn't need it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Apparently they have been getting consistent complaints over the year for no visual mascot for the team. I wish it could be an old fighter jet, but the school won't allow it. No matter what's chosen, it will probably get forgotten and not used much aside from being on the sidelines at football games and the like. Which is why I say why not just go completely out there with the squirrel.

spacer.png

I love the squirrel, personally. It's quite unique and would certainly stand out. As you said, chestnutz, why not go all out and use the squirrel?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The squirrel is wearing old-timer fighter pilot glasses, much like the current "mascot":

35093_callout_photo.jpg

For what it's worth this is Ithaca's current athletics logo, which admittedly is pretty terrible:

636_120110_fx_ithaca.jpg

However, I've always considered this to the be official Ithaca sports logo:

Ithaca_NY.gif

So yeah, no thanks.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Love the Flying Squirrel. D3 schools should embrace the opportunity to do this kind of thing more, because I went to a D3 as an undergrad that rebranded (the Fighting Scots) the wordmark but not the nickname and replaced the visual with a wordmark and nothing else because it was a man with a claymore and they thought it was exclusionary to women athletes. We published some ideas for alternatives after they wasted money on the rebrand, but naturally they ignored it because in those days they were especially tone deaf.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Hmm, I don't know. None of the choices are that great. I'm really not understanding C; I always thought Cayuga Lake was more Cornell's territory of the city (north and east, IC's south and west) and I have no idea where they got the lake monster idea from. The phoenix idea's kinda overdone, too. I'd say out of the three, I'd go with the flying squirrel (which needs to be black because Central NY's the only place I've ever seen black squirrels :P ). If I had my way, though, I'd give them a WWII-era image with a pilot or something

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Squirrel looks great, but its a tough decision between that and the Phoenix.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The squirrel is wearing old-timer fighter pilot glasses, much like the current "mascot":

35093_callout_photo.jpg

For what it's worth this is Ithaca's current athletics logo, which admittedly is pretty terrible:

636_120110_fx_ithaca.jpg

However, I've always considered this to the be official Ithaca sports logo:

Ithaca_NY.gif

So yeah, no thanks.

Since the colors are blue/yellow/white, then either A or C should be chosen (or I'll just defer to seeing them in color).

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I soooooo want the squirrel to win. What an awesome logo.

can anonymous people vote? or is it restricted to alum and current students. i cannot tell you how awesome i think that logo is.

a shame the phoenix is so nicely done as well, since many times a choice is presented, not even one is decent.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I soooooo want the squirrel to win. What an awesome logo.

can anonymous people vote? or is it restricted to alum and current students. i cannot tell you how awesome i think that logo is.

a shame the phoenix is so nicely done as well, since many times a choice is presented, not even one is decent.

Only members of the IC community can. Also, it's not a vote per se, but everyone has the opportunity to send in feedback in a short 5 or 6 question survey, and the committee will decide from there.

spacer.png

Put me down as another vote for the flying squirrel. In fact, I'd rather they change the name as well. Ithaca College Flying Squirrels is so much cooler than Ithaca College Bombers.

And that's kind of my problem with it. We'd be the Banana Slugs of the east coast.

(Good lord, I never thought I'd be so tribal with my alma mater.)

This just showed up in my email:

As you know, Ithaca College kicked off the search for an official mascot last fall to fuel school spirit and proudly carry the Bomber nickname. During a six-week submission period, students, faculty, staff, and alumni offered over 250 mascot suggestions for consideration. The Mascot Selection Task Force then got to work reviewing the submissions and narrowing the list down to three finalists.

As you are an important part of the IC community, we’re interested in having your feedback on the finalists that were unveiled earlier this week through video clips at www.ithaca.edu/mascot. You are invited to participate in an online survey to share your thoughts on the mascot finalists.This survey should not take longer than 10 minutes to complete.

The mascot visuals on the website and in the survey are early concepts of the way the selected mascot may be portrayed. The final graphics for the chosen mascot will be shaped by information received through this survey and focus group testing conducted later this summer and fall.

Take the survey now by clicking on the following link!

Six-week survey! Early concepts! Reviewing submissions! Task Force! Ithaca Mascot is serious business!

I feel like my senior class gift (A clock on the main campus -- my idea, as it happens) is lacking. Some lucky Task Force students get to come up with a new school identity. That's not bad.

Archived