Ithaca College Bombers new mascot

chestnutz

This just showed up in my email:

As you know, Ithaca College kicked off the search for an official mascot last fall to fuel school spirit and proudly carry the Bomber nickname. During a six-week submission period, students, faculty, staff, and alumni offered over 250 mascot suggestions for consideration. The Mascot Selection Task Force then got to work reviewing the submissions and narrowing the list down to three finalists.

As you are an important part of the IC community, we?re interested in having your feedback on the finalists that were unveiled earlier this week through video clips at www.ithaca.edu/mascot. You are invited to participate in an online survey to share your thoughts on the mascot finalists.This survey should not take longer than 10 minutes to complete.

The mascot visuals on the website and in the survey are early concepts of the way the selected mascot may be portrayed. The final graphics for the chosen mascot will be shaped by information received through this survey and focus group testing conducted later this summer and fall.

Take the survey now by clicking on the following link!

Six-week survey! Early concepts! Reviewing submissions! Task Force! Ithaca Mascot is serious business!

I feel like my senior class gift (A clock on the main campus -- my idea, as it happens) is lacking. Some lucky Task Force students get to come up with a new school identity. That's not bad.

Hah, that was y'all? Small world, pass it every day.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I really hope it's not the Phoenix. Other schools in the Empire 8 (Ithaca's confere) are: St. John Fisher Cardinals. Nazareth Golden Flyers (an eagle mascot). Elmira College Soaring Eagles. If IC went with the Phoenix, that would be more than half of the 9 schools in the conference with bird-related mascots!

We are one!

This just showed up in my email:

As you know, Ithaca College kicked off the search for an official mascot last fall to fuel school spirit and proudly carry the Bomber nickname. During a six-week submission period, students, faculty, staff, and alumni offered over 250 mascot suggestions for consideration. The Mascot Selection Task Force then got to work reviewing the submissions and narrowing the list down to three finalists.

As you are an important part of the IC community, we?re interested in having your feedback on the finalists that were unveiled earlier this week through video clips at www.ithaca.edu/mascot. You are invited to participate in an online survey to share your thoughts on the mascot finalists.This survey should not take longer than 10 minutes to complete.

The mascot visuals on the website and in the survey are early concepts of the way the selected mascot may be portrayed. The final graphics for the chosen mascot will be shaped by information received through this survey and focus group testing conducted later this summer and fall.

Take the survey now by clicking on the following link!

Six-week survey! Early concepts! Reviewing submissions! Task Force! Ithaca Mascot is serious business!

I feel like my senior class gift (A clock on the main campus -- my idea, as it happens) is lacking. Some lucky Task Force students get to come up with a new school identity. That's not bad.

Having spent the past six years working in higher ed, I can tell you that administrative folks love nothing more than meetings and task forces and taking forever to do these kinds of things. I've seen a few of these mascot redesigns now and given how flubbed up they've been at some of these institutions, I'd almost prefer this route of getting lots of feedback and then unveiling something interesting over the conclave method.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• 2 months later...

Bumping this because, uhh, Ithaca has concluded it's search. And, well, let this explain it

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011/06/ithaca_college_mascot_search_i.html

In November, Ithaca College kicked off a campaign to create a new mascot for its athletic teams, known as the Bombers.

About seven months later, that campaign has ended, and the new mascot is ...

Nothing.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

What a mess. That's the conclusion I came to after reading that article.

They're so attached to "Bombers", but they don't want any military imagery? Nobody thought this was a problem? I'm not an "Amurrrica" kinda guy or anything, but it almost seems disrespectful in a way to insist on keeping the name Bombers and right from the start say that no military imagery can be used. Like if I asked you to get me a glass of water from the faucet and then when you bring it to me, I tell you, "No thanks, I only drink bottled water." Almost like they want the name Bombers just so they can say no when someone brings up the obvious logo choice? Nobody is even sure where the name came from! Why are they so attached?

I did like the flying squirrel and I thought that fit in with the Bombers name in a quirky kinda way. I liked the old timey goggles and scarf. Any kind of bird logo with the name Bombers just makes me think of the bombs they drop on my car (although no phoenix has ever bombed my car that I am aware of). Even the lake monster with a new nickname would be better than "no logo and a name we have a love/hate relationship with".

• 3 years later...

Mega bump because Ithaca still has no idea what they're doing with their Bombers nickname. New logos and whatnot that make it as un-Bomber as possible.

http://athletics.ithaca.edu/news/2014/8/19/identity-082014.aspx

Oh, and if you're wondering how their mascot search continued to unfold..

Does the college have a new mascot?
No. We did not seek a mascot through this process.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Archived