MLB Low Crown 59FIFTY Caps

14er

I called the number on the MLMD website, and the recording listed their e-mail address as mlmd@minorleagues.com

I was also able to pre-order a Low Crown Red Sox hat that is currently out of stock. I was told that new stock could be in as soon as June, and that my credit card would not be charged until they arrived at their warehouse. I'll let you know how it turns out!

UPDATE: I received an e-mail staing that my 7 1/2 Low Crown Red Sox hat was shipped on July 27. Pre-ordering might be the way to go with this company if you are looking for a team/size that is not in stock. I will update again once the hat arrives about the fit and quality of the product.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a few minutes and uploaded a few pics of me wearing both the standard poly 5950, and the low-crown wool 5950...both in Cardinals home. I thought I would like the low-profile because the standard 5950's are such a pain to break in, and I feel like I'm wearing a chef hat sometimes...but I hated the low-profile. I felt like I was wearing a youth hat, but it's an adult 7 5/8.

Standard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/Blackhawks2004/IMG_3594.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/Blackhawks2004/IMG_3596.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/Blackhawks2004/IMG_3595.jpg

Low Profile:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/Blackhawks2004/IMG_3597.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/Blackhawks2004/IMG_3598.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/Blackhawks2004/IMG_3599.jpg

I took a few minutes and uploaded a few pics of me wearing both the standard poly 5950, and the low-crown wool 5950...both in Cardinals home. I thought I would like the low-profile because the standard 5950's are such a pain to break in, and I feel like I'm wearing a chef hat sometimes...but I hated the low-profile. I felt like I was wearing a youth hat, but it's an adult 7 5/8.

I've never bought a low crown, but have always wondered if it' work for me. Seeing the low crown on your head, I dont like how high it is around the ears. I have a feeling that low crowns may be best for those people with smaller heads (I teand to wear either a 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 pending on the hat).

I'm just going to stick with using a thread ripper carefully to remove the structured backing from the front.

I've never bought a low crown, but have always wondered if it' work for me. Seeing the low crown on your head, I dont like how high it is around the ears. I have a feeling that low crowns may be best for those people with smaller heads (I teand to wear either a 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 pending on the hat).

I'm just going to stick with using a thread ripper carefully to remove the structured backing from the front.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the low profiles for people who have bucket heads like me! In fact, when I took that picture, I had to dust the thing off. I honestly think that's the second time I've worn it...the first being when it was delivered a couple years ago.

On the new polyester type, I like to use my girlfriend's blow dryer to heat the backing and mold it to my head. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The thing that I find annoying about the polyester cap is that while the fabric itself doesn't shrink, the band does.

That always works best for me (I'm a 7 5/8 as well).

Have you done that on the new synthetic hats or just wool? I had done nt previously with wool caps and liked the results. I have been trying to figure out the perfect way to work with the new material, but I haven't gotten it yet. I took suggestions I found on here and other websites, such as wetting the cap and letting it dry on my head, and also sticking the cap in the oven at 225 degrees for a minute. Neither of those things have shrunken the material. I fear that if I ripped the buckram off the back it would look terrible because the fabric wouldn't shrink at all. Plus, I like having the crown, I just want it smaller.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I wear a 7 3/8 and the low profiles are definitely the way to go for me. The regular 5950s are so big the band nearly covers my eyes if I pull it all the way down, and if I try to wear it on my head regularly, the crown stands up way too tall.

I took a few minutes and uploaded a few pics of me wearing both the standard poly 5950, and the low-crown wool 5950...

I was thinking that the low crown that I have ordered was coming in the new material. I guess I'll include that info as well in my update once I receive it. As far as the low crown and how it looks on your head, I have a Giants low crown hat that I got on a trip to San Francisco at the Pac Bell team store, and my wife thinks it looks much better on me than the regular 5950 Red Sox hat that I have, which she refers to as a "farmer's hat" because the crown is so high. I have to admit that she has much more fashion sense than I ever will.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my first low crown (from MLMD) in a 7 3/8. Cardinals road. It was great out of the box, but after a quick search, I found that heating the crown and working it with my hands made it lay back even more. 3 minutes in the dryer was all it took a couple of times although the hair dryer method would work as well.

Its freaking perfect!

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

I picked up a Tigers home 7 3/8 low crown (they have them back in stock at New Era's site). Much better than the high crown for me. Its slightly loose. Is the sweatband cotton? Any chance I can shrink that just slightly?

I received my Low Crown 5950 Red Sox hat (new material BTW) about a week ago. I love the fit, and my wife approves as well, but I am concerned that the logo placement is too high.

Here is my regular 5950, which measures about 5/8 of an inch brim to bottom of logo:

Regular5950.jpg

This is my low profile 5950, which measures just over 1 inch brim to bottom of logo:

LowProfile5950.jpg

Now my wife thinks it doesn't matter, but then again she isn't a member of this site, and therefore probably doesn't think much about details like this as much as I do. I wrote an e-mail to Minor Leagues customer service, and they said that they would forward my e-mail onto New Era. But I thought that people here could tell me if this higher logo placement is standard for the low profiles or not.

I have two Seattle Mariners caps, one low profile, the other a regular one (a throwback style with a teal bill, but purchased last year from the Mariners team store, ). There is perhaps a 1/16" variance in the distance between the bill and the bottom of the "S" logo between the caps, but nothing as dramatic as you are showing in your photos.

5950.jpg5950lp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm gonna buy a 7 1/8 Boston Red Sox low profile and I want to ask to anyone that has one. Is the fit the same as a regular 59fifty (with the exception of the crown)? What I mean is I went to my local Lids store and tried on a 7 and it was a really tight fit. I tried a 7 1/8 and it fit good. Are the sizes the same fit?

• 2 months later...

Archived