2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

Coyotes in 7: the league has a vested interest in propping up the Coyotes so that they can sell the team to a shady Chiacgo businessman subsidized by taxpayers. I refuse to bet against the house.

Normally I would agree with that assessment, but this is the G-ddamn NHL. Them trying to rig something in your favour is almost a guarantee that you're going to fail.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coyotes in 7: the league has a vested interest in propping up the Coyotes so that they can sell the team to a shady Chiacgo businessman subsidized by taxpayers. I refuse to bet against the house.

Normally I would agree with that assessment, but this is the G-ddamn NHL. Them trying to rig something in your favour is almost a guarantee that you're going to fail.

To be fair, though, let's just be thankful it's a Chiacgo businessman and not a Chicago businessman. They're much, much more shrewd in the Windy City.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

How often does the President Trophy winner face the reigning Stanley Cup Champs in the first round? Adding this champ has knocked off the Canucks the last two seasons.

Your website cannot tell you and therefore us?

Seriously, this obsession of yours is at minimum, unhealthy.

Is there an online version of a restraining order?

I assist Tank and his website numerous times in a year.

The fact that he has told us that he look at baseball in terms of "his eye test" as opposed to math and advanced statistics which we now have is an issue to the predictions which he posts here. We have moved passes that into looking at who is the better/best in terms of individual awards and even in looking at post season success.

Is it still a choice since probability and randomness is a factor. Yes, but statements not even recognizing advanced statistics is somewhat foolish for those who operate websites and post their success (against gambling lines) here.

He takes math and advanced statistics out of his analysis. This will be seen since the Stanley Cup preview will posted in the next 24-36 hours and the NBA one soon after season's end. There is more information which he refuses to look at.

Actually, I am not sure of anyone who directly links to a personal page with the spread. I am fine with it, and apparently is the CC, yet, we still have new teens on this board who may go to Tank's NFL Takes.

How often does the President Trophy winner face the reigning Stanley Cup Champs in the first round? Adding this champ has knocked off the Canucks the last two seasons.

We had a few close calls- Ottawa against Tampa Bay in 2006 and Quebec against the NY Rangers in 1995 (the Canadian teams finished second overall in NHL points)

Capitals in 5 (Callahan's absence will be sorely felt)

Flyers in 6 (I love Buffalo, but I don't think they have the horses)

Bruins in 6 (Can't see Price duplicating what Halak did last year)

Lightning in 6 (No Crosby, no Malkin- Staal, Kunitz, and Kennedy are not exactly what I'd call a fearsome offensive core)

Canucks in 5 (Chicago doesn't have the same guys they did that drove Vancouver nuts- and they backed into the playoffs through somebody else. Niemi > Crawford)

Sharks in 4 (any chance I might have given L.A. went out the door with Kopitar's injury)

Coyotes in 6 (Detroit's goaltending is horrendous- no playoff team allowed more goals. They live and die by their offense ala last year's Caps- and we saw how that went.)

Ducks in 6 (Nashville's offense is too weak)

Predictions.

EAST

#1 Washington vs. #8 New York - Rangers in 7

#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Tampa Bay - Penguins in 5

#3 Boston vs. #6 Montreal - Canadiens in 7

#2 Philadelphia vs. #7 Buffalo - Flyers in 6

WEST

#1 Vancouver vs. #8 Chicago - Blackhawks in 6

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Nashville - Ducks in 5

#3 Detroit vs. #6 Phoenix - Red Wings in 4

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Los Angeles - Kings in 7

6uXNWAo.png

Hawks are a shell of their former Cup winning selves, they just barely got in. Canucks can beat them but it won't be sweet revenge. You always want to beat the guy that beat you, when you both are at your best to put away any doubts. Hawks were almost out of the playoffs before it began, hardly a match-up people are hoping it will be.

As for the pens (my team)...Pens defense and goaltending looks about as solid as 2009, last year was a wash for both things...we'll see.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

EAST

#1 Washington vs. #8 New York - Washington in 6

#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Tampa Bay - Tampa in 5

#3 Boston vs. #6 Montreal - Boston in 7

#2 Philadelphia vs. #7 Buffalo - Flyers in 7

WEST

#1 Vancouver vs. #8 Chicago - Chicago in 7

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Nashville - Anaheim in 5

#3 Detroit vs. #6 Phoenix - Red Wings in 6

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Los Angeles - Sharks in 5

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

EAST

#1 Washington vs. #8 New York - Washington in 5

#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Tampa Bay - Tampa in 7

#3 Boston vs. #6 Montreal - Montreal in 7

#2 Philadelphia vs. #7 Buffalo - Flyers in 4

WEST

#1 Vancouver vs. #8 Chicago - Vancouver in 7

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Nashville - Anaheim in 7

#3 Detroit vs. #6 Phoenix - Red Wings in 5

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Los Angeles - Sharks in 4

EAST QUARTERFINALS

#1 Washington vs. #5 Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay in 7 (Washington can never win a Stanley Cup)

#2 Philadelphia vs. #6 Montreal - Philadelphia in 4

WEST QUARTERFINALS

#1 Vancouver vs. #4 Anaheim - Vancouver in 4

#2 San Jose vs. #3 Detroit - Detroit in 7

EAST SEMIFINALS

#2 Philadelphia vs. #5 Tampa Bay - Philadelphia in 6

WEST SEMIFINALS

#1 Vancouver vs. #3 Detroit - Vancouver in 7

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONSHIP

#1 Vancouver vs. #2 Philadelphia - Vancouver in 7

I think Vancouver's toughest test is against Chicago in the first round, until the Stanley Cup, that is, but Luongo should put on a show throughout the playoffs to lead the Canucks past Philly.

25yzwqg.png

And this newfound faith in Luongo in the playoffs comes from where exactly?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Predictions lets hear em.

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

#1 Washington vs. #8 NY Rangers

#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Tampa Bay

#3 Boston vs. #6 Montreal

#2 Philadelphia vs. #7 Buffalo

Western Conference Quarterfinals

#1 Vancouver vs. #8 Chicago

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Nashville

#3 Detroit vs. #6 Phoenix

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Los Angeles

Playoff schedule will be released ASAP all I know is that CBC will show both the Habs and Nucks.

Washington vs. NY Rangers - Unless King Henrik comes up huge, I don't think the Rangers have enough, especially with Callahan hurt. Caps will move on.

Pitt vs. TBL - No word on Crosby yet (and Malkin is out), but the Penguins are still full of potential. The Lightning have some great playmakers. This might come down to goaltending and experience. Edge to Flower and the Penguins.

Boston vs. Montreal - Two goalies who have had great seasons and a hell of a rivalry, not just because of this season's events, but two Original Six teams. Boston has more talent and should pull out a series win.

Philly vs. Buffalo - Philly has really struggled of late, and is carrying some injuries. Buffalo has been hot with either Miller or Enroth between the pipes. I think this is an "upset" waiting to happen. Buffalo will win.

Which would leave:

Washington vs. Buffalo

Pittsburgh vs. Boston

In the West...

Vancouver vs. Chicago. The Champs have had the Canucks number, and with all that is riding on it, the Canucks are sure to be motivated to overcome that recent trend. As if it were hard to get motivated to beat the defending champions, justify your President's trophy, etc. But let's be honest, other than the late run to actually make the playoffs, the Blackhawks have just not been clicking on all cylinders. Can they make a run like last year in the playoffs? I think this will be a better series than 1 vs 8 indicates, but I think the Canucks will win.

Anaheim vs. Nashville Read that again. Does that really sound like a hockey series? Anaheim and Nashville? Ugh. Anyway, unless Nashville gets amazing goaltending and the goal scorers for Anaheim cool off, this one will see the Ducks moving on.

Detroit vs. Phoenix - Detroit is so experienced it's awfully hard for them to be taken lightly. Experienced everywhere but in net. And in the playoffs, goaltending counts. But I don't think lack of goaltending experience is enough for the Jets... I mean Yotes to pull it off. Detroit will move forward, despite my hatred of them.

San Jose vs. LA - The Kings just aren't as good of a team as the Sharks. After this one is over, Jack Johnson can go back to surfing and singing annoying songs. (That's not the same guy? Oh, damn.)

Which would leave:

Vancouver vs. Anaheim

San Jose vs. Detroit

Next round predictions:

Washington vs. Buffalo This is the round where Washington does it's yearly choke. I hope. Buffalo shocks Ovi and the boys and wins this.

Pittsburgh vs. Boston Good series of contrasting styles. I think experience, coaching, good playoff goaltending from Flower, and (possibly) getting 87 back pushes the Pens past the Bruins in a long, probably 7 game series.

Vancouver vs. Anaheim I think the President's winners are on a mission, and Luongo got over the hump as far as being labeled a "big game choker" last year in the Olympics. Will this be Teemu's last series? I think not. Because he'll come back and play next year. But Anaheim's season ends here.

San Jose vs. Detroit This will be a toughly contested series, probably another 7 gamer. But I think Joe Thornton and the boys will pull through. Maybe it's just my hatred of the Red Wings.

Which would leave:

Pittsburgh vs. Buffalo

Vancouver vs. San Jose

Both of these would be good series. Something has been in the back of my head that the Sabres are hot enough and getting great goaltending that they are going to surprise everyone and win the conference. It's not logical, it's just a gut feeling. Pittsburgh SHOULD win this, but I don't think they will.

Canucks vs. Sharks should be an exciting series full of good scorers. It's also two teams who have reps of choking in the playoffs. I search my gut and in one corner, I want the Canucks to win just so Canada can get represented. But if the Sharks get in, I can say that the on NHL game I've seen in person (Sharks vs. Sabres) is the Finals matchup. I do think the Canucks get through, though.

Finals:

Sabres vs. Canucks - In every logical way, this should be a Canucks victory, and I think it probably would be. And though I'm not a fan of the Canucks (except when I squint and they look like the Whalers), I think this is their year. Going back to that whole thing where Montreal hosted the Olympics in 1976, then had the best record and won the Cup. Then the 1988 Olympics were in Calgary, the Flames won the President's Trophy and the Cup. And the Olympics were in Vancouver, they won the President's trophy, and now...

The Stanley Cup goes home to Canada with the Vancouver Canucks.

Then again, I'm probably all wrong... that's the beauty of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, it's difficult to predict!

That was an all-star game. Wasn't that the "Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews on the fourth line" team?

Oh, and the Kings had ten shootout wins. With a W-L-T system, they're an 84-point team. They're missing Anze Kopitar. The Sharks are going to boatrace them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived