2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

Found this on a Redskins board, from a poster who found it on a Pacers board:

"I work for a company that has the NBA license. We've received logosheets for next year for the Wizards. I can confirm that the red, white, and blue logo is correct. Their secondary logo is a "dc" with the tail of the "d" looking like a hand, just like the old bullets logo, complete with a basketball over the "d." Their uniform wordmarks will be in the same style font as the old Bullets logo. Logo and uniform should be unveiled on 5/10. "

I wonder which old Bullets logo they're referring to. Either way, I don't think it's going to look very good. Even using the boring font on that red header for a wordmark would look better than using any of the old Bullets wordmark fonts. Especially if it's going to say "Wizards" or "wizards". (shudders at envisioning what these look like)

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that's not the case. I'm not a fan of the font used in any of the Bullets' wordmarks; the Webber/Strickland-era Bullets wordmark was especially bland.

I'd rather the design/layout of the uni pay homage (but not slavishly copy) the aforementioned Unseld-era design, only with a new, modern wordmark.

I'm assuming they go with a modernized font of the old version like they did with the Capitals. Any way the go for me is a win as I can't stand the current uni's/colors.

123xa2.png

Big thumbs down if they actually are switching to navy. Navy wasn't used before, so it wouldn't really be returning to the Bullets' colors. Also, navy is not an "update" or improvement over Royal blue.

I disagree. I think the switch is for the better. I like linking the caps and wiz together color-wise.

123xa2.png

Big thumbs down if they actually are switching to navy. Navy wasn't used before, so it wouldn't really be returning to the Bullets' colors. Also, navy is not an "update" or improvement over Royal blue.

I disagree. I think the switch is for the better. I like linking the caps and wiz together color-wise.

I appreciate the harmony between Caps and Wizards as well. But, it does make me all the more annoyed at the Hawks for randomly switching to a red/white/navy color scheme, seeing as my team will now have the same* colors as a division "rival." Whereas DC has decades of history in r/w/b (albeit in a slightly lighter hue), ATL used it for one season previously; all of their glory years were spent in red/yellow. In any event, lots of teams in the NBA overlap colors, but I can't think of any other examples of two teams in the same division having the same* colors. The Sixers (red/white/royal) and Nets (red/white/navy/grey) come closest, but not as close as this will be. :(

* and by "same," I mean "red/white/navy." Obviously, we won't know the exact pantone colors until everything's released.

is that recolor of the wizard logo been confirmed as the official logo going forward?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

is that recolor of the wizard logo been confirmed as the official logo going forward?

According to that post that someone here saw, yes. Depends if you believe that poster from the other board though. He could have just been bull :censored:ting.

Personally I'm ok with them just doing the recolor. I'd rather they put that money towards getting or maintaining good players. And I don't think the recolor looks that bad, personally. It's the uniforms I'm more worried about.

According to that post that someone here saw, yes. Depends if you believe that poster from the other board though. He could have just been bull :censored:ting.

Personally I'm ok with them just doing the recolor. I'd rather they put that money towards getting or maintaining good players. And I don't think the recolor looks that bad, personally. It's the uniforms I'm more worried about.

The purported fee is half a million. Considering veteran NBA players routinely make $10 mil a year to be bad at their jobs, I would rather my team (if I were a Wizards fan) spend that little bit on making the team look better. And from the small version of the logo we saw leaked, I thought the recolor looked horrible - one of the worst yet. I think the original Wiz logo is terrible to begin with, but it at least looks right for what it is. The red in the new version stuck out like an eyesore and it looked like it was a negative image of a logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The purported fee is half a million. Considering veteran NBA players routinely make $10 mil a year to be bad at their jobs, I would rather my team (if I were a Wizards fan) spend that little bit on making the team look better. And from the small version of the logo we saw leaked, I thought the recolor looked horrible - one of the worst yet. I think the original Wiz logo is terrible to begin with, but it at least looks right for what it is. The red in the new version stuck out like an eyesore and it looked like it was a negative image of a logo.

Half a mil, during this past season, got you any of the following options for the Wizards.

1) Almost half of Jordan Crawford's salary

2) Almost half of Trevor Booker's salary

3) Hamady N'Diaye's salary, and then some

4) At least 3 decent D-leaguers, and then some

You have to remember that this is not a team stacked with superstars. The Wizards are in a rebuilding mode and part of that has been trying to figure out ways the organization can save money for brighter days (and players). They haven't exactly been spenders for the past couple of years. This is pretty much widely understood by Wizards fans.

I thought the recolor looked horrible when I first saw it, but it's grown on me, and it will grown on most other fans too. The logo makes sense if you think about it. First of all, it makes sense for it to be primarily red, if that is going to be their primary color. Secondly, if the Wizards are going to be wearing red jerseys, it makes sense for the Wizard in the logo to be wearing a red robe (just as he wore a blue robe while the team wore blue jerseys).

If you don't like the existing Wizards logo, then you are not going to like the recolor. That's pretty obvious.

i agree, i love when cities have multiple teams with the same colors (pittsburgh)

spacer.png

spacer.png

i agree, i love when cities have multiple teams with the same colors (pittsburgh)

I agree with you, but I think the Caps should have went back to Royal blue, also.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

All DC Teams are going to have some sort of red as a main color now.

Somebody brought it up in a previous thread, but Bullets sounds like a female version of the Chicago Bulls (Bullettes). The Gilbert Arena situation means that we shouldn't expect a name change any time soon.

When I was a really little kid, Michael Jordan was still doing his thing and the WNBA was coming around soon... so yeah since MJ got so much hype around us, I thought the Bulls were the home team and the Bullets were going to be our WNBA team. So yes, I can relate completely. Keep in mind I was like 5 or so haha.

90758391980.gif

I guess we would have consult some Spanish native speakers but for me Los Bulls just sounds ridicolous. You either make it El Toros or try something different. And Los Angeles is a more Spanish word than Los Lakers. Actually when I saw those Los Lakers shirts I thougt that Los Angeles might be a nice idea for an alternate rather than 3 jerseys with Lakers printed.

The bottom line is that NBA season lasts 82 games so I don't mind some experiments during the regular season as long as they are not so ridicolous. I prefer this than the way association football teams milk their fans by releasing 3 sets of kits every year.

I don't like the jerseys, but they do the language correctly (except Nueva York). Since "Bulls" is the name, it doesn't change. It's like a person's name. (there is a better way to explain all this, so if someone can please do.) If you were listening to a Spanish telecast of the game, the announcers would still be saying "Bulls" and not Toros. Just like they wouldn't say a player's name in it's Spanish form.

But still, I'd have no problem seeing them go.

You are correct, but the jerseys are still pandering nonsense. The normal Bulls jersey doesn't say "The Bulls", so Los Bulls doesn't make sense. And while the team would be referred to by its real name in Spanish, I still like the idea of the Cerveceros and Gigantes jerseys. At least some thought went into them unlike Los Bulls and Los Mets.

I watched a Spanish telecast of the 1995 World Series, and the announcers definitely referred to the teams as 'los Indios' and 'los Bravos' for what it's worth.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I guess we would have consult some Spanish native speakers but for me Los Bulls just sounds ridicolous. You either make it El Toros or try something different. And Los Angeles is a more Spanish word than Los Lakers. Actually when I saw those Los Lakers shirts I thougt that Los Angeles might be a nice idea for an alternate rather than 3 jerseys with Lakers printed.

The bottom line is that NBA season lasts 82 games so I don't mind some experiments during the regular season as long as they are not so ridicolous. I prefer this than the way association football teams milk their fans by releasing 3 sets of kits every year.

I don't like the jerseys, but they do the language correctly (except Nueva York). Since "Bulls" is the name, it doesn't change. It's like a person's name. (there is a better way to explain all this, so if someone can please do.) If you were listening to a Spanish telecast of the game, the announcers would still be saying "Bulls" and not Toros. Just like they wouldn't say a player's name in it's Spanish form.

But still, I'd have no problem seeing them go.

You are correct, but the jerseys are still pandering nonsense. The normal Bulls jersey doesn't say "The Bulls", so Los Bulls doesn't make sense. And while the team would be referred to by its real name in Spanish, I still like the idea of the Cerveceros and Gigantes jerseys. At least some thought went into them unlike Los Bulls and Los Mets.

I watched a Spanish telecast of the 1995 World Series, and the announcers definitely referred to the teams as 'los Indios' and 'los Bravos' for what it's worth.

That's the way they should refer to them.

Archived