Thinking Outside of the Hat

JohnnySeoul

"You get a sticker for being good" is one of the silliest college sports things around. It's like they're running a goddamn day care. Maybe after the game, win or lose, they can all go to the DQ.

I said the exact same thing a couple days ago, and a bunch of the Ohio State fans on here got all pissy and insisted that it's some grand tradition that can never be changed. It's not! Just because it's been done for a while doesn't mean the whole pride-sticker thing isn't ugly and immature. Save the "good job" stickers for elementary school where they're appropriate.

Its a grand tradition. It can never be changed. It will never be changed. It should never be changed.

And by week 6 or 7, it makes for an awesome looking helmet.

(Although, I agree it has no business in this thread)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a picture of their helmet that has a single stripe, the player's number on both sides, and their last names just above the nose bumper :

GREAT idea ... only 19 years too late :therock:

nfl-bills-super_bowl_xxvi_thomas-thurman-34-blue-1992-stockpic1.jpg

What are we supposed to see here?

Thurman Thomas couldn't find his helmet at the start to Super Bowl XXVI (pictured) and missed the Bills' first offensive series. Despite Thomas being one of the best RBs in the NFL at the time, Kenneth Davis started in his place.

31JQ90ZGGDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I think the buckeye stickers are pretty neat because you can easily pick out who the more accomplished players are and keep your eye on them during a game. I also don't think it's as childish as some other seem to believe; There's certainly more pride and accomplishment associated with having a buckeye-covered helmet than with an elementary school student receiving stickers for behaving in class or doing their homework. As far as the Buckeyes' helmets qualifying as being "outside of the hat", they're definitely unique but I don't really think it's the same kind of design ingenuity as seen with the Bengals, Vikings, or Redskins examples.

I loved that Arizona brought back the white helmets, but I really wish they'd gone with the full throwback look instead of a hybrid. Give that a blue facemask and it'd be perfect.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Helmet stripes in the UFL:

California Redwoods

vifysgqfgdk3er5hqmyp6fvg1.gif

Florida Tuskers

o44219ds9vfkffqm8bupvmuv3.gif

I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE what the UFL does with the helmet designs - specifically the stripes. I'm anxious to see the stripes for the Virginia Destroyers.

gYH2mW9.png

Helmet stripes in the UFL:

California Redwoods

vifysgqfgdk3er5hqmyp6fvg1.gif

Florida Tuskers

o44219ds9vfkffqm8bupvmuv3.gif

I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE what the UFL does with the helmet designs - specifically the stripes. I'm anxious to see the stripes for the Virginia Destroyers.

Well, you might be rewarded...

3404-3533-thickbox.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I think the buckeye stickers are pretty neat because you can easily pick out who the more accomplished players are and keep your eye on them during a game. I also don't think it's as childish as some other seem to believe; There's certainly more pride and accomplishment associated with having a buckeye-covered helmet than with an elementary school student receiving stickers for behaving in class or doing their homework. As far as the Buckeyes' helmets qualifying as being "outside of the hat", they're definitely unique but I don't really think it's the same kind of design ingenuity as seen with the Bengals, Vikings, or Redskins examples.

Neat or not, Ohio State's buckeye stickers are hardly unique. Many college football teams give out stickers for accomplishments that would allow a viewer to pick out top players (and even more did in the past).

5BSUIl.jpgv6hKRl.jpg

H9wUA.jpgGJvdkl.jpg

In fact, you can see a ton of helmet stickers in this shot:

H1u2C.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Neat or not, Ohio State's buckeye stickers are hardly unique. Many college football teams give out stickers for accomplishments that would allow a viewer to pick out top players

I'm aware that other schools have pride stickers on their helmets, but I think Ohio State is unique because the stickers are the focal point of the helmet. Yes there's a helmet stripe but there is no actual logo on the helmet otherwise and the goal is to literally cover the blank space on the helmet. It's almost like the buckeye stickers are the helmet logo, and to me that's unique.

Archived