The ones that got away

raysox

I'm sure everyone has done this. You pass up on a jersey or sports related thing that you wish you didn't. Share them here

I was at a TJ Maxx in about '06. There was a blank home Rays jersey, and a Shaq Miami Heat jersey. I had to decide between them. For some reason, I chose the Shaq jersey. Ever since I wish I made the different choice.

On a similar note, in '07 after the rebrand, I was cleaning out my t shirt drawer. I put my green Rays Rocco Baldelli jersey shirt in there because "They have new logos now"

Lastly, in Montreal in '08, before I ever owned a 59/50, I thought about getting an Expos hat. The awesome pinwheel one. I didn't because I thought they were overrated. But then that Christmas I got a St. Pete Pelicans hat, which sparked my interest with those hats ever since.

Post your stories!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I passed up on a US soccer 1950 remake from NikeTown for about $20. Didn't have the extra cash at the time, and man do I wish I just swallowed the few dollars of initial debt. It was a beauty. Ceased production many years ago.

l.jpg

I found a black pre-Edge Lightning and a red pre-Edge Panthers jersey at a thrift store for $7 each, and passed on them because "I'll never wear them"

I still regret it.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I was in Value Village and found a white Colorado Avalanche Patrick Roy jersey, legit, for $20. Didn't have my wallet, and didn't got back for it...

I have the same story but a Ed Belfour Leafs jersey, I ended up buying it and my jersey closet stunk of cigarette smoke because of it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

On one late summer day in 1998 I passed up the following on a $25 discount rack

Wild Wing

Burger King Kings

Subliminated Lightning

Instead I bought

Red Canucks alt

Home white Flyers

Eggplant Ducks.

I am the king of the morons, the thread can be closed now!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

A local vintage clothes shop closed down about a year ago. The last time I was there, there were a ton of old NBA jerseys, including '95 Pistons Grant Hill (Blue and the Red alt) and at least a dozen Run-TMC-era Warriors jerseys, all under £10.

As soon as I got home I started regretting my decision...

Wild Wing

Burger King Kings

Subliminated Lightning

Instead I bought

Red Canucks alt

Home white Flyers

Eggplant Ducks.

I'd have made the exact same 3 choices if given those 6 to pick from....

Twice vintage Timberwolves game worn shorts have gone to a bidder like $1.00 cause it was a friday night that the auction ended and I was out partying instead of at my computer. Both times they went for WAY less than I would have paid. Which goes to show you that if you want something REALLY bad, reserve that baby high.

I still want those damned timberwolves shorts.

I passed up on a US soccer 1950 remake from NikeTown for about $20. Didn't have the extra cash at the time, and man do I wish I just swallowed the few dollars of initial debt. It was a beauty. Ceased production many years ago.

l.jpg

World cup 02 I was in niketown in Chicago and they had the dtom jerseys. Full price and I was a poor college student so I couldn't swing it. Exhaustive Internet searches have made me regret that all the time.

Also the original Chicago fire flag jersey. Wish I would have bought one of those as well...

While I was still in South Carolina, the Hornets had just left Charlotte and our Champs had Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn Charlotte swingmen for about 30 bucks. Despite being a huge Baron Davis fan, I decided to pass on the jerseys. I thought I'd be able to find them even cheaper years down the line. Now any time I see a Charlotte Hornets swingman on Ebay it goes for a pretty good amount. And most of the time they are Mashburns, and not Baron Davis, which is the one I really really want.

Similar story with a Ray Allen Sonics throwback. Ray Allen is my hometown's hero, and our mall always has a ton of Ray jerseys. When he was traded to Boston, a sports store at our mall put all their Ray Allen Sonics jerseys on sale. One in particular I really liked was the yellow throwback. It was about 30 bucks, and I thought the price would drop more, because they had a ton. They were wiped clean after a week or so. I can still find that jersey on Ebay, but I haven't seen one my size on there ever.

T1oYViW.png

Similar story with a Ray Allen Sonics throwback. Ray Allen is my hometown's hero, and our mall always has a ton of Ray jerseys. When he was traded to Boston, a sports store at our mall put all their Ray Allen Sonics jerseys on sale. One in particular I really liked was the yellow throwback. It was about 30 bucks, and I thought the price would drop more, because they had a ton. They were wiped clean after a week or so. I can still find that jersey on Ebay, but I haven't seen one my size on there ever.

Are you talking about Fun Wear?

If so, I have a hard time believing that store has ever sold out of anything. They still have the Kanji NFL team caps, and 1980s New Era hats with the funky "New Era in the shape of a hat" logo.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Wild Wing

Burger King Kings

Subliminated Lightning

Instead I bought

Red Canucks alt

Home white Flyers

Eggplant Ducks.

:blink:

You're the king of morons for having good taste???? :huh:

tigercatssignature-1.png

Are you talking about Fun Wear?

If so, I have a hard time believing that store has ever sold out of anything. They still have the Kanji NFL team caps, and 1980s New Era hats with the funky "New Era in the shape of a hat" logo.

That was it actually. That is exactly why I thought those jerseys wouldn't sell out so fast, because it doesn't look like they sell anything. But they sold those Ray Allen jerseys like crazy.

T1oYViW.png

When I was younger, I saw a few creamcicle bucs jerseys on the rack (which is rare in PA). Do I want to buy Alvin Harper? The big free agent signing and SB winner! Yes. I'll leave this unproven rookie with a failed drug test. This Sapp guy. Harper changed his number a year later and was a bust. Sapp, well...

I'm in a current dilemma...Beginning of last season...buy Barber jersey? Nah, he's retiring. Freeman? No, probably gonna be a bust like Russell and TB is known for killing QBs. I'll stick with this future pro-bowler CB, Talib. In fact, I'll just buy all three authentic jerseys.

KISSwall09.jpg

Years ago, I bypassed a Blue Jays road uniform (circa 93) for $10 or so at a thrift store in LA - largely because it was kinda snug on me. Of course, that was 20 pounds ago. :(

I can't remember whose name was on it, but I remember it had a really high number (97?), so it was probably a custom job.

Archived