Goofy or otherwise odd sports cards?

Stampman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite odd one is from the mid-late '70s. Instead of airbrushing the uniform, the entire picture was paint/airbrush. I could swear it was Rick Wise, but I've never been able to find a picture of it.

Close, it is Mike Paxton, Topps 1978.

paxton.jpg

I think there are a few all painted 1978 cards, but my uncle and I used to laugh at this one all the time, which is why I remember it so well.

Nice find. That said, I'm pretty sure the one I remember had a player in a Mariners uniform, so it must have been one of the others.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Agreed Airbrushing created many interesting looks

%2521ByIOj2gCWk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqYOKnMEw85Y0yGTBMQeD%252Bqiog%257E%257E_12.jpg

Ah, yes! The Cardinals' pink alt. I remember it well.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Does anyone know the story behind this card? I have this one and a few others (Rueben Sierra maybe?) that were basically painted portrait baseball cards.

faa914f.jpg

Fleer did those a lot in the early '90s. I want to say they were a response to Donruss' Diamond Kings series, but don't hold me to that.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Gotta love how card companies treated traded players back in the day:

Bad Airbrushing

krush_f_zoom.jpg

Bill-Clement-216x300.jpg

2059080426_15cae13cb2.jpg?v=0

Guys' heads on somebody else's body:

2263935183_bfeb19240d.jpg?v=0

2264725454_7d431b047d.jpg?v=0

I've got some of those.

I'll have to look for it--but I have one where the player had their picture taken on the Flames--he was traded (to the North Stars I think), then traded again.

So the picture of him in a Flames uni was airbrushed with the second team's jersey--then "Traded to..." was printed on the card after that.

But keep them coming...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Does anyone know the story behind this card? I have this one and a few others (Rueben Sierra maybe?) that were basically painted portrait baseball cards.

faa914f.jpg

Fleer did those a lot in the early '90s. I want to say they were a response to Donruss' Diamond Kings series, but don't hold me to that.

yep, they were called ProVisions and were on all Fleer sports sets from 91-93. The Yount one with the floating baseballs on the previous page was another example.

I'll have to look for it--but I have one where the player had their picture taken on the Flames--he was traded (to the North Stars I think), then traded again.

So the picture of him in a Flames uni was airbrushed with the second team's jersey--then "Traded to..." was printed on the card after that.

But keep them coming...

Here's more I have been able to find on the net and or remember from my childhood.

warren_young_large.jpg

Upwards skating Penguin on Warren Young

1991UpperDeck054.jpg

Pavel Bure's card for 1991-92 Upper Deck

2034740907_b5cf7ddac1.jpg?v=0

Darren Puppa, nickname and all

d312c786-51f8-4b38-a807-efff39b5e9cf.jpg

Neil Wilkinson, on motorbike

1844943349_833c077387.jpg?v=0

The back of "The Goalmouth" card for the 1991 WHL 7th Inning Sketch series

Be honest: before today, how many of you ever saw this one:

88A.jpg

Better yet, how many of you actually own one? (Disclosure: I do.)

EDIT: Killer mesh-back cap, BTW.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The NHL celebrity captains fascinate me... any more? Sabres?

6faec4e2-0102-4d6a-a389-443ca22532c1.jpg

Then-Bills QB Jim Kelly was Buffalo's celebrity captain

Little known fact about this card. It was originally supposed to have been Scott Norwood. But every card always seemed to be cut wide to the right.

Nothing says funny like a joke from 1990....

Little known fact about this card. It was originally supposed to have been Scott Norwood. But every card always seemed to be cut wide to the right.

Nothing says funny like a joke from 1990....

Nothing does--and yet I laughed.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived