Goofy or otherwise odd sports cards?

Stampman

When the NHL celebrated their 75th Anniversary in 1991-92, wach team designated a celebrity capitain. That years Pro Set Platinum Series II, featured cards of these celebs. Such of which are the oddest hockey cards I have come across.

510492782_794d31670d.jpg

Larry King, Capitals

510492814_0df9c77e0d.jpg?v=0

Fred Rogers, Penguins

510491738_2578a549bd.jpg?v=0

James Belushi, Blackhawks

pspcummings.jpg

Burton Cumming, Jets

ept_sports_nhl_experts-604005511-1227894372.jpg?ymwCWrADMQV49dTW

Marv Albert, Rangers

Speaking of ridiculous ideas for cards from Pro Set their 1990-91 NHL set included referee and linesman cards.

souvenir13.jpg

Kerry Fraser

scan0041.jpg?t=1242075119

Don Koharski

front.jpg

Ray Scapinello

And the most ridiculous hockey card of all-time:

9091proset-thepuck.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the idea of ref/linesman cards, in a strange way.

Same here. It's kinda cool to see them get some attention. Also, I have that Jim Belushi card around here somewhere. If memory serves, it came in a pack of hockey cards I bought at a Big Lots.

BB52Big.jpg

I actually like the idea of ref/linesman cards, in a strange way.

Same here. It's kinda cool to see them get some attention.

Right. They're part of the game, and in a lot of cases you get to know their on-ice personality, and differences in how they call games. You develop favorites and ones you hate, just like players.

This topic can't exist without:

billy_rip.jpg

I've got a copy of that one in my desk.

My favorite odd one is from the mid-late '70s. Instead of airbrushing the uniform, the entire picture was paint/airbrush. I could swear it was Rick Wise, but I've never been able to find a picture of it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

My favorite odd one is from the mid-late '70s. Instead of airbrushing the uniform, the entire picture was paint/airbrush. I could swear it was Rick Wise, but I've never been able to find a picture of it.

This it?

wise74topps.jpg

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

This it?]

Thanks, but no. On the one I have in mind, there is no photograph. The whole image is paint. Also, the deep recesses of my brain tell me that it was a '77 or so (though I am hardly positive).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I just love the ones where the player has a funny name. I know it's not specifically the card, but I can never get over "Rusty Kuntz" and "Dick Pole."

Some of my other favorites are:

Yount92.jpg

Sierra.jpg

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

When the NHL celebrated their 75th Anniversary in 1991-92, wach team designated a celebrity capitain. That years Pro Set Platinum Series II, featured cards of these celebs. Such of which are the oddest hockey cards I have come across.

I want those now.

Speaking of ridiculous ideas for cards from Pro Set their 1990-91 NHL set included referee and linesman cards.

And the most ridiculous hockey card of all-time:

9091proset-thepuck.jpg

I have some of those--my brother bought me a box of that year's cards after the fact (old stock being cleared out) but it wasn't enough for a full set.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

1990 NFL Pro Set had some real doozies...

345199862_tp.jpg

Wait... NFL Guardians?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

What was going on with these?

3-54.jpg?t=1242310642

Canseco.jpg

Separate question: Which was the card company that had the puzzle you could make of Carl Yastremzski? I enjoyed that, even though my 10-year-old self had no idea who he was.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This isn't an error card or anything, but I think it's kind of odd to have a baseball card picture of a pitcher doing something batter/running related.

The Fleer '91 Tom Glavine card had a picture of him sliding into home.

image_php_452235.jpg

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Close, it is Mike Paxton, Topps 1978.

paxton.jpg

I think there are a few all painted 1978 cards, but my uncle and I used to laugh at this one all the time, which is why I remember it so well.

sig-1.png

Archived