Goofy or otherwise odd sports cards?

Stampman

I found some more.

I was hoping to get to these sooner, and I have some more to look for.

First, Doug Risebrough seems to be saying--"Get off my hockey card!"

risebrough2.png

Which is better than a later year's card where Doug seems crowded off his own card by an opposing player's butt-

riseborough.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dennis Maruk expresses disgust at being transferred to Cleveland-

maruk.png

Henry Boucha is glad to be transferred to Colorado, as he can't find any leg warmers in Kansas City that match his headband...

boucha.png

Okay--and it looks odd to see players playing without helmets.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Okay--first I find this odd, just because I got so used to this guy as a coach, but he was a player before that--and he looks so young...

quinn.png

Then an airbrushed jersey, that isn't any team's.

Maybe they didn't know where he would end up

BTW--does anybody want to trade for a Steve Durbano card?

I have 5 or 6 of this one-

durbano.png

So here's a Steve Christoff card--this picture was taken when he was a Calgary Flame--before they traded him to the Minnesota North Stars.

So they airbrush him into a North Stars uniform, but after that's done he's traded to the LA Kings--so there he is in an airbrushed uni with "Now with Los Angeles" typed on the card.

I find that amusing-

christoff.png

What's odd about the Warren Skorodenski card?

Besides the ugly mask?

Well it's for him being the Save Percentage leader for the previous season-technically yes--but he played 1396 minutes in 27 games--so barely qualified for this stat as the league leader--he had a reputation as a sieve. And the 84-85 season was the one he played the most games in (That being the one mentioned above--27 games)

The second most games he played in one season is 3. He did that twice. In total he played in 35 games in his NHL career. So it was shocking to see him as a league leader in a good category.

skoro.png

This topic can't exist without:

billy_rip.jpg

Furthermore, in the "clean" category...

Herb Washington's 1975 Topps baseball card is the only card ever produced listing his position as "Pinch Runner":

CA-hwashington%2B75T%2BIMG_NEW.jpg

Since Herb never batted, his stat line is...well...interesting.

CA-hwashington-bk+75T+IMG_NEW.jpg

Funny thing, Herb owned my local hockey team for the three years they were around.

Jets_zps66b1c061.png

So here's a Steve Christoff card--this picture was taken when he was a Calgary Flame--before they traded him to the Minnesota North Stars.

So they airbrush him into a North Stars uniform, but after that's done he's traded to the LA Kings--so there he is in an airbrushed uni with "Now with Los Angeles" typed on the card.

I find that amusing-

christoff.png

that and the Kings logo appears to be recolored in either North Stars or California seals colors. can't tell if it's teal/gold or green/gold.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

that and the Kings logo appears to be recolored in either North Stars or California seals colors. can't tell if it's teal/gold or green/gold.

It's actually blue & yellow--probably a "mis-inking" of purple.

Some more--

Here are some Flames with the logo airbrushed out, but the unis are Flames unis, and the players were still on the Flames at the time.

Then I realized these cards are from the Flames' first season in Calgary--so they probably airbrushed out the Atlanta Flames' logo--kind of odd any way-

clementmacmillan.png

This one--is just because-

I'd give him a 5 game suspension for his bangs...

colie.png

Helmet head.

Maybe his mom gave him a hard time about that--mine would have.

helmethaed.png

Just because it's been a few days--some more airbrushing--and don't worry--I'm not posting every airbrushed card out there--that would mean posting constantly and doing nothing else...

These ones get posted for the helmet &/or hair look they give--

lapointe.png

lavallee.png

turnbull.png

Was hockey card collecting especially big in Canada in the 1970s?

It's a bog country, and the 70's were a long time ago, so I can't say for everybody and every decade, but hockey cards were big when I was in the younger school grades, into junior high when it tailed off for my age group.

But it was always big for younger kids-it really took off in the 90's and the market suffered from saturation.

As far as I know they have been big since they existed, with some ups & downs--rather similar to baseball cards in the US.

510491738_2578a549bd.jpg?v=0

James Belushi, Blackhawks

Was he in need raising an eyebrow so he seems serious?

All old football cards were ridiculous it was called the Old Huck n' Buck Pose

%21BgsuIFgB2k%7E$%28KGrHqMOKjcEs%21TZkz3hBLGUVED0g%21%7E%7E_35.JPG

OUCH... poor right arm of his!

Be honest: before today, how many of you ever saw this one:

88A.jpg

Better yet, how many of you actually own one? (Disclosure: I do.)

EDIT: Killer mesh-back cap, BTW.

Man, oh man, this cap is Bruce-Bochy sized.

Take a look at Billy's left hand...

033.jpg

I knew that card. But was it intentional from Billy? I mean, alots of times I was leaning on a bat regardless of the fingers I did over it and flashing the middle finger wasn't intentional from me.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I have to add this one.

It's supposed to be a Joel Otto card from when he was on the Flames, but the picture is not of Joel Otto, nor is it of a Flames uniform.

Otto played most of his career with the Flames before spending his last three seasons with the Flyers.

ottono.png

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just adding another one here--this one was mis-cut-

So Gord Lane played for the Landers....

(Coached by Ann?)

miscut.png

(Hmm, there was a joke earlier in the thread that referred to this...)

Archived