Movies, Movies, and Movies

• Please log in to reply
1214 replies to this topic

#1 Dexter Morgan

Dexter Morgan

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 18:15

Well, I'm a movie buff, and love talking movies. So here it goes.

http://www.huffingto...o_n_882631.html

Jamie Foxx has snagged the lead role in Quentin Tarantino's upcoming spaghetti western, "Django Unchained," Deadline reports, making the Oscar-winner the latest big name addition to the film.

Foxx will be a freed slave who teams with a bounty hunter -- to be played by Christoph Waltz, who won an Oscar in Tarantino's last film, "Inglorious Basterds" -- who sets out to rescue his wife from evil plantation owner Calvin Candie, according to the agency WME.

That role looks like it will go to Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays against type as, according to an earlier story, "a charming but ruthless proprietor of Candyland, a despicable club and plantation in Mississippi where female slaves are exploited as sex objects and males are pitted against each other in 'mandingo' style death matches."

Foxx won the Oscar for Best Actor in 2005 for his portrayal of Ray Charles in the biopic, "Ray," and was nominated the same year for Best Supporting Actor for "Collateral." He's since starred in "Dreamgirls" and "Miami Vice," among other films, and will next be seen in a supporting role in the R-rated comedy, "Horrible Bosses."

This has potential. Quentin was robbed a few years ago. Bastards should of beat out the Hurt Locker. Maybe this will make up for it. Sooner or later he'll win best picture.

Also pretty pumped for J. Edgar, the J. Edgar Hoover biopic, DiCaprio playing the lead role. A lot of buzz about this being Leo's Best Actor performance. His performance as Howard Hughes in The Aviator was the last best shot, he got beat out by Jamie Fox, who played Ray Charles in Ray.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1616195/

Posted Image

#2 abluecarrot

abluecarrot

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 18:38

Movies to look forward to this year:

Moneyball
Drive
Hugo Cabret
Contagion
War Horse
The Iron Lady
J. Edgar
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Carnage
The Ides of March
Albert Nobbs
We Bought a Zoo
The Tree of Life

There has got to be a few Best Picture nominees there and maybe a dud.

#3 jrodsep

jrodsep
  • From Last to Champs to Last Again...

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 18:45

Well, I'm a movie buff, and love talking movies. So here it goes.

http://www.huffingto...o_n_882631.html

Jamie Foxx has snagged the lead role in Quentin Tarantino's upcoming spaghetti western, "Django Unchained," Deadline reports, making the Oscar-winner the latest big name addition to the film.

Foxx will be a freed slave who teams with a bounty hunter -- to be played by Christoph Waltz, who won an Oscar in Tarantino's last film, "Inglorious Basterds" -- who sets out to rescue his wife from evil plantation owner Calvin Candie, according to the agency WME.

That role looks like it will go to Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays against type as, according to an earlier story, "a charming but ruthless proprietor of Candyland, a despicable club and plantation in Mississippi where female slaves are exploited as sex objects and males are pitted against each other in 'mandingo' style death matches."

Foxx won the Oscar for Best Actor in 2005 for his portrayal of Ray Charles in the biopic, "Ray," and was nominated the same year for Best Supporting Actor for "Collateral." He's since starred in "Dreamgirls" and "Miami Vice," among other films, and will next be seen in a supporting role in the R-rated comedy, "Horrible Bosses."

Thank God!!!!!! They were rumors of Will Smith up for that role and I just cringed. Jaime Foxx sounds like a great casting call and to add him with Christoph Waltz (Mr. Hans Landa, the greatest villain in Tarantino-verse) and DiCaprio, it just sounds like a winning formula. I just hope we get Faster Pussycat Kill Kill remake after this one.

#4 YessSir32

YessSir32

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 20:13

Anyone like Harry Potter? I'm very excited for the final one.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL) 

#5 Seadragon76

Seadragon76
  • Southern Iowa Athletics: Thunderbirds.. Are... GO!

• Members
  • 8,089 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 20:21

Anyone like Harry Potter? I'm very excited for the final one.

Get it right... It's Hairy Pothead... this last movie, Hairy Pothead and the Deadly Swallows (Part 2 since he can't seem to choke on it quick enough to die off in the first part) will hopefully end with He Who Shall Not Be Named winning and the death of Hairy Pothead (BTW, don't spoil the ending! I want to have my happy little fantasy here... don't ruin it).

I guess I can use this as another point to make for a certain Transformers sequel coming out....No Dinobots? No Galvatron?!? NO FREAKING UNICRON?!?!? You freaking fail, Bay. You just freaking fail. :(

Seadragon Fantasy Sports - Where success comes once in a blood moon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iowa Raccoons (CL - 2013 CL Playoff Champions)  - Des Moines Elks (IBL) - Dynamo Iowa FC (USA)

San Antonio Silver Hawks (UFL)  - Thunder Bay Giants (TNFF)  - Southern Iowa Thunderbirds (NCFA) 

#6 Lee.

Lee.
  • Personal sexual advisor to Mr. Jon Bon Jovi

• Moderators
  • 16,514 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 20:36

Stop posting.
In America, sometimes all it takes is a great idea, some abandoned property, a boombox & some booze. Then it's on, you guys.
-Karl Welzein
Stuff: Twitter | Tumblr
Hockey: Twitter | Tumblr

#7 mania

mania

• Members
  • 7,476 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 22:11

This is actually a really good idea for a thread, and one I've considered starting in the past, despite never getting around to it. Generally the only movies that get any real talk around here are the comic book or more fanboy type of things.

As far as Django Unchained goes, I'm still kind of bummed it wasn't Idris Elba.

#8 CS85

CS85
  • top me off, you bastards

• Members
  • 13,396 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 22:39

I saw the trailer for Transformers 3, which is as good as watching the entire thing, as there's likely nothing better than what they showed in the 3 minutes of cg explosions. I'll pass.

I thoroughly enjoyed Super 8, but there really hasn't been anything else at all I've been willing to drop the dough on in theaters this summer. Upcoming stuff this summer all looks pretty crappy, but hoping some new trailers from noteworthy directors reinvigorate the field of films.

#9 Shumway

Shumway
  • Rally Time!

• Members
  • 9,307 posts

• Favourite Logos:Anything with a mascot in a sweater or anthropomorphic foods.

Posted June 22, 2011 - 23:26

I, for one, am pretty excited for The Muppets. The trailers look great, and from what I've read over the past few months, it sounds awesome.

#10 lbr218

lbr218

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

• Favourite Logos:Washington Capitals "Eagle"
      University of Maryland "M-Flag"
      Columbus Clippers primary wordmark
      University of Minnesota "M"
      Any mascot wearing a sweater :D

Posted June 22, 2011 - 23:32

I am so excited for "Moneyball." I had always wanted to read the book but never got around to it. Then I saw that the movie was coming out and I decided I had some free time so I picked it up. I just started it on Monday so I'm not totally done yet, but if the rest of the book is as good as it has been, it will be my favorite nonfiction book ever. I love it. You just end up cheering for every player (even though since it's nonfiction, I already know what has happened), especially Hatteberg. I'm also excited because Hatteberg will be played in the film by Chris Pratt of "Parks and Recreation" fame (also the husband of Anna Faris) and Parks and Rec is my favorite show, so I would always like to see a movie with cast members in it.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

#11 Dexter Morgan

Dexter Morgan

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 23:41

I saw the trailer for Transformers 3, which is as good as watching the entire thing, as there's likely nothing better than what they showed in the 3 minutes of cg explosions. I'll pass.

I thoroughly enjoyed Super 8, but there really hasn't been anything else at all I've been willing to drop the dough on in theaters this summer. Upcoming stuff this summer all looks pretty crappy, but hoping some new trailers from noteworthy directors reinvigorate the field of films.

Super 8 really intrigues me, some have called it the new ET. No way it will live up to that hype, but want to see it none the less.

#12 scottysprings

scottysprings
  • choo choo

• Members
  • 3,353 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 23:49

Super 8 really intrigues me, some have called it the new ET. No way it will live up to that hype, but want to see it none the less.

As I've noted elsewhere on the forums, I'm turning into a cynical :censored:, but Super 8 was very underwhelming. It was just so ordinary; Abrams and Spielberg could've easily thrown in a plot twist or two to spice things up but it was just very meh. Way too many plot holes as well. Sorry if I shat on your expectations :P

#13 CS85

CS85
  • top me off, you bastards

• Members
  • 13,396 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 00:56

As I've noted elsewhere on the forums, I'm turning into a cynical :censored:, but Super 8 was very underwhelming. It was just so ordinary; Abrams and Spielberg could've easily thrown in a plot twist or two to spice things up but it was just very meh. Way too many plot holes as well. Sorry if I shat on your expectations :P

Certainly don't go into it with "Lost" expectations. It's predictable, but pleasant and enjoyable. Not mind blowing and not a masterful film. Just a good way to spend a couple hours and not go home pissed off that you blew $20.

#14 gingerbreadmann

gingerbreadmann
  • I guess I hate UVA now.

• Members
  • 4,683 posts

• Favourite Logos:Is not spelled with a "u"!

Posted June 23, 2011 - 07:57

I was a little pissed. What a joke of a movie. It started out great, but once it decided it wanted to be some sort of freaky alien movie IN ADDITION to every freaking thing else, It became stupid and impossible to follow (yet still, somehow, predictable at every step). The ending had zero emotional impact because I never grew to care or understand about the alien or whatever. So much wasted potential here. If you saw the thing during the credits, THAT was charming and enjoyable, much like the movie itself was before the train crash and really, before the alien arrived. It was sad to see this movie devolve into a laughingstock before my eyes.

Thanks for starting this thread, BTW. It's great to have general movie discussion. Anyone else seen Tree of Life?

#15 Seadragon76

Seadragon76

• Members
  • 8,089 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:40

You know, I thought (and still do) that Super 8 was about the motel chain and not some sci-fi flick.

Carry on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iowa Raccoons (CL - 2013 CL Playoff Champions)  - Des Moines Elks (IBL) - Dynamo Iowa FC (USA)

San Antonio Silver Hawks (UFL)  - Thunder Bay Giants (TNFF)  - Southern Iowa Thunderbirds (NCFA) 

#16 Lee.

Lee.
  • Personal sexual advisor to Mr. Jon Bon Jovi

• Moderators
  • 16,514 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:04

Stop Posting.
In America, sometimes all it takes is a great idea, some abandoned property, a boombox & some booze. Then it's on, you guys.
-Karl Welzein
Stuff: Twitter | Tumblr
Hockey: Twitter | Tumblr

#17 Seadragon76

Seadragon76

• Members
  • 8,089 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 13:45

Stop Posting.

I'm going to regret this... but what are you going to do if I say no?

#18 GoNordiques

GoNordiques
  • TEN YEARS UNITED

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

• Favourite Logos:(Unused) Quebec Nordiques
      Detroit Tigers (1961-1993)

Posted June 23, 2011 - 13:57

Stop posting.

Stop Posting.

Please stop derailing this thread with whatever your angry about.

As for movies, I'm still going to see Transformers 3 despite the suckiness of the second one. Also Horrible Bosses looks funny as hell. Could it be from the fact I think Charlie Kelly Day is hilarious, maybe. Okay, yeah, it is.

#19 Dexter Morgan

Dexter Morgan

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 20:48

I'm a history and movie buff, so this will be a must see for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/

Daniel Day-Lewis playing Lincoln, Doris Kearns Goodwin the writer, Steven Spielberg the director.

What more can you ask for?

#20 Shumway

Shumway
  • Rally Time!

• Members
  • 9,307 posts

• Favourite Logos:Anything with a mascot in a sweater or anthropomorphic foods.

Posted June 23, 2011 - 23:55

I'm a history and movie buff, so this will be a must see for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/

Daniel Day-Lewis playing Lincoln, Doris Kearns Goodwin the writer, Steven Spielberg the director.

What more can you ask for?

Muppets, a ham sandwich and Sofia Vergara. :D

So far, the cast is really solid for Lincoln. Day-Lewis generally doesn't make a bad move, either. I wonder who they'll cast as Booth (spoiler alert!)