Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

2,440 posts in this topic

I'm itching to rewatch Gangs of New York some time; it's probably been 12 years.  I know the sets were incredible; a lot was built, and a lot of it was 3D (not just facades).  Mostly the only CGI was a George Lucas elephant.

The Arrival was interesting.  I liked the slow pace of it; I feel like trying to learn an alien language if they didn't know any Earth languages would be like banging your head into a wall, and that was somewhat reflected in the movie.  The ending was too much of a time travel circle jerk, I thought; I was even OK with Interstellar, but this was too far.  It also had the same problem for me as The Da Vinci Code book (and I assume the movie?)... an intimate story that only teases a more interesting global-level event.  Jesus has a line of descendants all the way down to today?  That would be an interesting story to follow if people found out!  And in The Arrival

Spoiler

you can waltz around back and forth in time just by learning to speak this alien language?  That would be a hell of a movie to follow that story thread.

Also, Amy Adams would have been shot or kicked off the project like seven times over for disobeying orders as much as she did.

The Last Great "'70s" New York Cop Movie

Nighthawks

For you kids or even older folks who might not have ever seen it, I'd recommend it.  Great popcorn movie to catch online or cable.  I first saw it as a high school junior at a mall cinema that no longer exists;  loved it then and still love it today.  It happened to be on TV today on HBO Zone when I went home for lunch.  Wound up getting back to work a little late, but had to stay until the disco scene.

Yeah, I know it was released in spring 1981, which is not the '70s calendar-wise. But as I have noted before, pop culture decades do not coincide with the calendar years.  You can usual find a year or 12 month period of transition as to what we culturally associate with the change in "decades".  And 1981 was the real transition year between the 70s and 80s-- Iran hostages come home, Reagan inaugurated, MTV begins, etc.  Plus, look at the fashion styles in this movie-- Stallone's "Serpico" look with the long hair and beard-- his aviator glasses-- he and Billy Dee Williams' leather jackets-- Rutger Hauer's stylish well-dressed outfits-- the disco scenes-- and most importantly, the gritty urban look of New York City that we don't see anymore, common to such '70s movies as Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, The Seven Ups, The French Connection, and The Warriors. This was New York back when Time Square was the crossroads of sleaze and before it was a mall-type atmosphere where you could bring kids. This was the New York of graffiti everywhere, before Ed Koch and Giuliani cleaned up the town and made it safe for tourists again.  And "Nighthawks" was the last great "70s" New York cop movie.

For those who might not have seen it, the brief synopsis is: concurrently we have New York undercover cops DaSilva and Fox (Stallone and Williams) acting as decoys and catching street muggers in dirty old New York City.  Meanwhile, we have international terrorist "Wulfgar" (Hauer) going one step too far in Europe, compromising both his identity and funding support.  Following some plastic surgery, Wulfgar heads to New York -- the center of the world's financial and press sectors-- in order to gain more notoriety and renewed respect and funding.  DaSilva and Fox-- Vietnam vets-- are tapped by NYPD to serve in a joint anti-terrorism unit going after Wulfgar, led by a British anti-terrorism expert (Nigel Davenport).  And the rest is history.....

nighthawks1.jpgWulfgar.jpg

1 person likes this

I enjoyed the Godzilla reboot so I'm really looking forward to Kong Skull Island and the MonsterVerse.

Just finished Interstellar for the 3rd time.  Movie is still incredible.

Just realized that it's Sam Neill in Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I had no idea; it's a great performance.

11 hours ago, CS85 said:

Just finished Interstellar for the 3rd time.  Movie is still incredibly bad.

FTFY

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, dont care said:

FTFY

It must be dismal to have such poor taste.  Enjoy watching Paul Blart Mall Cop for the 13th time, philistine.  

4 people like this

10 hours ago, dont care said:

FTFY

I watched rhe first 40 minutes on an airplane, I woke up at the end. Interstellar is awfully boring

9 hours ago, CS85 said:

It must be dismal to have such poor taste.  Enjoy watching Paul Blart Mall Cop for the 13th time, philistine.  

I don't like complicated movies like Interstellar, I just want to watch a fun movie, but Mall Cop is garbage. (My favorite movie is the Truman Show)

34 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

I watched rhe first 40 minutes on an airplane, I woke up at the end. Interstellar is awfully boring

Most space movies pick up, you know, when they actually get into space. ;) You should give it another try.

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Most space movies pick up, you know, when they actually get into space. ;) You should give it another try.

They were in space when I gave up

54 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

They were in space when I gave up

shrug.gif

The scene in Interstellar when they realize the mountains are actually a wave was one of the most compelling things I've ever seen on an IMAX screen.

I liked Interstellar quite a bit, but wasn't thrilled with the ending, in large part because it ended. I wanted the movie to keep on going and felt that wrapping things back up where they started was a bit of a cop-out.

Arrival spoiler here

Spoiler

It's also why I didn't care for Arrival. At all.

Of the four modern sci-fi space movies we've had over the past few years, I go back to Gravity first, then Interstellar, then Arrival, and lastly The Martian (which was dumber than dumb). I think I've also said this exact same comment earlier in this thread. Gravity remains gripping, compelling, and doesn't require an entire afternoon's worth of patience to get through. It might rely on ex machina like The Martian, but not nearly as much. And the opening scene remains among the best in the modern film.

2 people like this

Last night, I was going to watch Interstellar or Gangs of New York before bed.  Then, I decided I wanted something lighter, and chose Sausage Party instead.  Never choose Sausage Party.

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Last night, I was going to watch Interstellar or Gangs of New York before bed.  Then, I decided I wanted something lighter, and chose Sausage Party instead.  Never choose Sausage Party.

Sausage Party is on Netflix now. I got about 6 minutes in before I turned it off. It's just a bunch of super obvious dick and fart jokes and some South Park-style musical numbers. I get what they were going for, but what they were going for wasn't worth it.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

Sausage Party is on Netflix now. I got about 6 minutes in before I turned it off. It's just a bunch of super obvious dick and fart jokes and some South Park-style musical numbers. I get what they were going for, but what they were going for wasn't worth it.

Believe me, I wouldn't pay extra for that movie!  Believe it or not, it does get better after those first five minutes.  I would have described the beginning as, "Hey!  You're watching a cartoon, but we can swear and have sex!  Awesome, right?!?!"  The rest at least elevated to "movie" status.

La La Land wins Best Pic -

*glass shatters*

OH GOD KING, THAT'S MOONLIGHT'S MUSIC

11 people like this

2 minutes ago, CS85 said:

*glass shatters*

Wow.  In case you ever wondered what would happen if they handed out the wrong award...that's what happens. 

Poor Warren Beatty. He looked like a doddering old man and than he had to explain how he wasn't a doddering old man while sounding like a doddering old man. 

Moonlight was excellent, so it all works. I'd have given it to LaLa Land, but either way. Moonlight is the more affecting of the two. 

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, CS85 said:

*glass shatters*

Sorry I had to steal that for a tweet.