2,330 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, CS85 said:

CCSLC Post of the Day goes to nash61, for this 

I'd like to thank the Majestic XII...

*mod edit*

LMU is now the real winner of POTD, I'm sorry there was a mix up

Ah, crap.

4 people like this

For a second I thought the La La Land guys were pulling an Adele and giving their award to who they thought deserved it, and so I'm happy that wasn't the case.

My understanding is that there's two complete sets of envelopes-- one on each side of the stage. Obviously, Beatty and Dunaway came on from the side of the stage that wasn't used when the Best Actress presenters came on. But how the PWC person screws up that category... I have no idea.

One good thing is that last night's win for Moonlight feels a bit redemptive for the terrible choice of Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

I was fortunate to have seen Moonlight yesterday afternoon -- before the Oscars -- so there was no weight (as @McCarthy described) over BEST PICTURE hanging over it. I actually didn't know the plot or the thematic structure at all, so I was able to go into the entire movie fresh.

A day later, and Moonlight is sticking with me more than La La Land did. La La Land was a movie to experience, to be sure, while Moonlight is a statement film that's saying something (redundant, but I think important).

I was one of the simpletons who thought Avatar should have won Best Picture (Hurt Locker did instead; neither are all that remarkable in hindsight) due to its technical achievement, and I was/kind of still am willing to give La La Land that same benefit; La La Land was an impressive, exciting movie to watch and one best experienced in a theater (like Avatar). But I'll remember Moonlight in 20 years and I think La La Land will be eclipsed by the next great twee film (much the same way Hurt Locker has been forgotten in place of our world's general antipathy to Jeremy Renner).

(And looking back at the 2010 Oscar options, District 9 or Inglorious Basterds should have won.)

2 people like this

That time of year where somewhere I'm reminded of Crash. Crash is "Love Actually" or "Valentine's Day" or "New Year's Eve" except about racism so it gets to pat itself on the back and feel important. It's pretentious, but on like a worse level. It winning Best Picture is insanity. 

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

One good thing is that last night's win for Moonlight feels a bit redemptive for the terrible choice of Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

Crash was a darling until it won.  I worked at an HMV & ppl were blind buying that thing left & right.  

I'm not a big fan of revisionist history when it comes to the Oscars.  Are we choosing the best film of a year or the film we think the most ppl will still admire 5-10yrs from now?  Call me old fashioned, I'm still in the former camp.

It's similar to when ppl list the worst to best worthy winners, nearly entirely negating the nominee field they were up against in their finite years.  

18 hours ago, CS85 said:

La La Land wins Best Pic -

*glass shatters*

OH GOD KING, THAT'S MOONLIGHT'S MUSIC

did they really play the theme from Moonlight when the best picture was announce.  if that is the cast, that throws the whole, only PWC knows the winners (and not anyone producing the telecast) out the window.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

did they really play the theme from Moonlight when the best picture was announce.  if that is the cast, that throws the whole, only PWC knows the winners (and not anyone producing the telecast) out the window.

No it was traditional oscar music

Lord of the Rings meets Training Day (no, I'm not joking)

"Set in an alternate present-day where humans, orcs, elves, and fairies have been co-existing since the beginning of time. Bright is genre-bending action movie that follows two cops from very different backgrounds. Ward (Will Smith) and Jakoby (Joel Edgerton), embark on a routine patrol night and encounter a darkness that will ultimately alter the future and their world as they know it. "