Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

CS85    5,407

Watched The Neverending Story for the first time the other day.  It was silly and the end was hilariously dumb, but I could see why so many 80s kids adore it.

burgundy    545
13 hours ago, CLEstones said:

After seeing Split last month, I finally got around to seeing Unbreakable.  I thought it was really good and completely misunderstood for its time.  Don't get me wrong, it was NOT Sixth Sense, but I thought it was really good.

I've yet to see Split, but I think Unbreakable is Shyamalan's best movie.

CLEstones    251
5 hours ago, burgundy said:

I've yet to see Split, but I think Unbreakable is Shyamalan's best movie.

Hard to beat Sixth Sense, in my opinion.  But I also thought The Village was great and Signs was one of the best alien films of all time, even if people didn't like them.  I even thought Devil was really good for a horror film.

But I also thought AfterEarth and The Happening were entertaining... they may not have been great, but they were entertaining, especially for a RedBox or Family Video pick up.

I've never seen Lady in the Water or The Last Airbender.

Maybe I'm just an M. Night Shyamalan homer.

burgundy    545
47 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Hard to beat Sixth Sense, in my opinion.  But I also thought The Village was great and Signs was one of the best alien films of all time, even if people didn't like them.  I even thought Devil was really good for a horror film.

But I also thought AfterEarth and The Happening were entertaining... they may not have been great, but they were entertaining, especially for a RedBox or Family Video pick up.

I've never seen Lady in the Water or The Last Airbender.

Maybe I'm just an M. Night Shyamalan homer.

Sixth Sense is good, I just prefer Unbreakable. The Village is OK. I think it got a bit of a bad rap because it was disappointing compared to the previous films. Signs is good until you think about just how dumb it is that the aliens were invading a planet that is covered in a substance that is lethal to them, and they were walking around completely naked. I don't even remember anything about Devil, but I know I I didn't hate it. I've never made it through AfterEarth, and I didn't care for The Happening.

It's probably for the best you haven't seen Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender. Maybe you'd enjoy Lady in the Water, but Airbender is just terrible. It manages to be insulting and alienating to both general audiences and fans of the show.

DG_Now    4,009

Signs was the stupidest. The Village was OK, but it came at that time when you saw an M Night Shyamalan movie wondering the entire time what the twist was going to be. The "gotcha!" gag only works so many times before it's a gimmick. I think The Village was where he wore himself out. I know that I haven't seen a Shyamalan movie since.

CLEstones    251
25 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Signs was the stupidest. The Village was OK, but it came at that time when you saw an M Night Shyamalan movie wondering the entire time what the twist was going to be. The "gotcha!" gag only works so many times before it's a gimmick. I think The Village was where he wore himself out. I know that I haven't seen a Shyamalan movie since.

See, I loved the double twist.  It was similar to what he described in Unbreakable.  There is the villain that beats you down physically, and then there is the villain pulling the strings in the background.  You find out that the main antagonist is really just the Village Elders, dressed as the monster, at a micro level.  Then at the very end, you learn that its not a period piece at all.  It was the Village Elders pulling all the strings at a macro level, as well.

When it comes to signs, I think you read too much into it.  You are assuming they have some sort of advanced exo-skeletal tech, or advanced alloy weaponry, or even advanced tech to begin with.  We learn that they have trouble with basic closet doors.  You are also assuming that the aliens knew what water was and that they knew it harmed them.  Again, an M. Night movie that was misunderstood, in my opinion.  People applied assumptions from previous alien movies to this one.  The first image of the alien at the children's birthday party still makes all the hair on my body stand up.

I also think people have become jaded by Shyamalan.  They expect all these massive twists and turns in every movie and when they come, people are jaded, oh that was it?  Meanwhile, the majority of other director's have films with less captivating twists and they are celebrated. 

CS85    5,407

I actually enjoyed Signs quite a bit.  

2001mark    1,188

The Insider A+ ...my #16 all time.  Tremendous.

re. Signs, I literally jumped from my seat at that.  15% full theatre, couple in front of me saw & laughed with me as I did.  I think it might've been the tv(?) image near the end.

A good formula for seat jumping - be really tired & be watching a serene film like Signs with the occasional spark between elongated lulls.

CS85    5,407
48 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

The Insider A+ ...my #16 all time.  Tremendous.

re. Signs, I literally jumped from my seat at that.  15% full theatre, couple in front of me saw & laughed with me as I did.  I think it might've been the tv(?) image near the end.

A good formula for seat jumping - be really tired & be watching a serene film like Signs with the occasional spark between elongated lulls.

The Insider (with Russell Crowe?) is a solid film.  I enjoyed it.

Signs:  The logic behind it is stupid, but the cast is great, and the script is good.

DG_Now    4,009

I don't remember if it rained in Signs, but, that it could seems like an obvious plot hole. There's humidity in the air! So dumb.

Cosmic    2,556

Very unpopular opinion... my family all loved his Avatar movie. Now that I've seen the TV show, I'm sure I'd have the same complaints as everyone else, though.

I agree that Signs was good, even though you can't think about it too much. They can't be dumb aliens who can't open doors and don't take precautions against water... they've mastered interplanetary (likely interstellar) travel! But I did enjoy it.

CLEstones    251
19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I don't remember if it rained in Signs, but, that it could seems like an obvious plot hole. There's humidity in the air! So dumb.

I can buy humidity to an extent, even if it has innate flaws of its own, that can get explained away with minimal effort.  Its just like everything else, like fire proofing, it has limits.

Maybe they are resistant to water to a certain parts per million or certain density or quantity.  People tend to work in absolutes without basis or when the plot/universe doesn't establish absolutes.  Its just like allergies.  People can be allergic to an extent... that doesn't mean a small quantity sends them into anaphylactic shock.  We don't even know if their planet has hydrogen on it.

And just because they have traveled to a distant planet, doesn't mean they are hyper intelligent.  The movie establishes that they struggle with menial tasks.  Maybe they can manipulate black holes or quantum physics.  That doesn't mean they are skilled artisans or craftsmen.

2001mark    1,188

Yeah, even though I'd give signs a B-, the water thing is fine.  I just give it to them like we can drown in water but not mist or whatever.  

Ice_Cap    7,800

Signs was good. Everything else he did until The Visit was ass though. 

Cosmic    2,556
6 hours ago, CLEstones said:

And just because they have traveled to a distant planet, doesn't mean they are hyper intelligent.

CLEstones is a hard man to impress.

2001mark    1,188

Kong B+

Dumber yet more fun than Godzilla, also a B+ for me.

I bet they draw & alas probably both die as martyrs.

Jbadger9    37

Just saw Hacksaw ridge.. I give it a A-.

Great storyline, really exciting and interesting, I liked the action, but the only problem is that it took a little to long for the action to develop. I like action though, so I'm a little biased. I'm not a romance or drama kind of guy.

Cosmic    2,556

Saw the new Beauty and the Beast. There's a review headline that pretty much sums up how I feel; it went something like, "It's a photocopy of a great movie, but like most copies, a little fuzzy around the edges."  The production design was pretty cool.  There were some new songs, and I actually really liked most of them.  There were some new story beats, which I thought were handled fairly well.   The "feminist" Belle really didn't bother me. I was expecting to dislike those changes, but it actually gave me a great laugh once(in a good way). Most of the movie, though, is a direct lift of the animated film.  At that point, it felt sort of like the world's best cosplay.  I didn't really need the parts that were lifted from the animated film... the animated film was nominated for Best Picture back when there were only five nominees and trendy Pixar wasn't around to make it OK to like animated films! Gaston was good, the castle objects were good, the LeFou thing was weird, and I thought Emma Watson wasn't really up to the singing.

Ice_Cap    7,800

Malificent was pretty awful, and that swore me off of live-action Disney. Nothing about Beauty and the Beast seemed enticing enough to change that opinion. 

2001mark    1,188

Justice League trailer seems better than BvS & yet it just goes to show how much of a failure this entire DC escapade is when they can't even write/market Superman into the very first live action JLA feature.

Yes I know he's not dead & will return, yet zero mention merely due to his current unpopularity is a disgrace.  No Green Lantern is another stupid idea, probably nixed by idiot studio heads merely reading the previous film's shortcomings.