Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

FGM13    697

I'm out on Justice League simply because that Come Together cover in the trailer is absolutely terrible and undoes any White Stripes-related goodwill it had fostered with the other song choices in the trailers.

habsfan1    1,339
2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Justice League trailer seems better than BvS & yet it just goes to show how much of a failure this entire DC escapade is when they can't even write/market Superman into the very first live action JLA feature.

Yes I know he's not dead & will return, yet zero mention merely due to his current unpopularity is a disgrace.  No Green Lantern is another stupid idea, probably nixed by idiot studio heads merely reading the previous film's shortcomings.  

They need to bring in the Green Lantern for the sequel. It would be a huge failure not to.

AstroBull21    566
9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

They need to bring in the Green Lantern for the sequel. It would be a huge failure not to.

There's talk that a green lantern may cameo in JL in November, to introduce the origin but it wouldn't be Hal or John.  

2001mark    1,188

Inception B+

It's come around again for me.  My 3rd & 4th or so viewings I was looking at the clock.  Now it's just plain fun.

CLEstones    248
11 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Inception B+

It's come around again for me.  My 3rd & 4th or so viewings I was looking at the clock.  Now it's just plain fun.

Speaking of Christopher Nolan... just watch Memento on Netflix last night.  Wow.  Fantastic.

2001mark    1,188

Still waiting for Trainspotting 2 wide release.  I could go downtown for its single theatre showing, I don't really feel like paying that extra time & money though.

Cosmic    2,554

Passengers was good, but completely predictable. I probably could have sketched out an outline before I popped in the DVD. The design was cool; I liked all of the actors. Nothing too memorable, though. It reminded me of watching the same romantic comedy over and over, but now she works at a fashion magazine or something.

8BW14    289
12 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Passengers was good, but completely predictable. I probably could have sketched out an outline before I popped in the DVD. The design was cool; I liked all of the actors. Nothing too memorable, though. It reminded me of watching the same romantic comedy over and over, but now she works at a fashion magazine or something.

These are pretty much my exact thoughts on the movie. I enjoyed it , especially the set design. Slow at times, but I was never bored and, yes, it was a bit formulatic/predictable.

2001mark    1,188
On 30/03/2017 at 0:41 PM, 2001mark said:

Still waiting for Trainspotting 2 wide release.  I could go downtown for its single theatre showing, I don't really feel like paying that extra time & money though.

Wide release.  10pm showing was empty.  

B+

A+ for the first, my #49 all time.

Spoiler

+
- Very nice ode to the first & the characters proper. Nothing felt contrived from how they might be faring these days. The background music seemed to reflect that, nodding to the 96's track listing rather than be fully original as well.
- Kelly MacDonald. Her appearance added to the film's gravitas for me & showed just how far Mark & co. had veered, + how far they still had to go.
- Ewan's 'Choose Life' monologue was quite strong, sat me up.

- Sure it wasn't as impressionable as the first, that would be nearly impossible... not least I was a teenager in 96, the characters in their early 20's.  

-
- I might've had Begbie's intro been built up even more, though to be fair he did receive closure with his own family this way with its mini arc. As it was, his encounter with Mark at the club was most epic. Ppl talk about rivalries in film, this one is nearly entirely emotionally driven & turbocharged.
- Ending seemed to mirror just a bit too much of the first. Not sure another 20yrs we'll get to see another, though nothing at all would surprise me.  

2001mark    1,188

Vertigo A-

One of the greatest upon multiple re-watches ever (in league with 2001 ASO, Blade Runner, & Citizen Kane).  

SPOILERS
as titled, because a discussion about Vertigo is nearly impossible without...

Spoiler

I used to think maybe Judy was fake 'Madeleine' on the lam, dressing down to hide in San Fran... when it's real Judy who dressed up as 'Madeleine'.  That was when I was younger & the film was quite a blur to get into, let alone follow.

Sight & Sound picked it #1 most recently, for me it wouldn't make my top 150.  Quite spread nearly too thin, & the characters boiled down aren't very redeemable - namely why is John so perversely hounding stranger Judy to do his bidding, while Judy goes along not only with aiding & abetting a faked suicide.  The 3 of them with Gavin are each flawed & greasy ppl.  

The DVD I have (2 disc SE) there's a Novak line she loved the script because it was like the story of her career - being dolled up to be someone she wasn't.  Hitchcock was pretty brave I think to put this subject matter out in the wide open, not least his own temptations & having to realize reality for what it is.

re. S&S's #1 'Commenting upon the 2012 results, the magazine's editor Nick James said that Vertigo was "the ultimate critics' film. It is a dream-like film about people who are not sure who they are but who are busy reconstructing themselves and each other to fit a kind of cinema ideal of the ideal soul-mate."'(wikipedia)
That's not quite enough for me ty.

Cosmic    2,554

I love Indiana Jones, but I don't see how this can possibly be good.  He was old as hell in Crystal Skull, and this is coming out 12 years later. Five years after he looked old as hell in Force Awakens.

McCarthy    6,834
13 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I love Indiana Jones, but I don't see how this can possibly be good.  He was old as hell in Crystal Skull, and this is coming out 12 years later. Five years after he looked old as hell in Force Awakens.

Yeah I had the same thought. Can't believe it'll be that long after Crystal Skull. I was anticipating that movie probably more than any of the new Star Wars. Biggest dissapointment I've ever had in a movie theater.

Also the last one really set up a new franchise with Shia Laboof. The theater I was in booed when Shia put the hat on at the end so instantly the feedback was a resounding no to that idea. Add in all of his offscreen craziness and the fact that he's just kind of a bad actor and the likelihood of him appearing in this one is nil and zilch. I guess they're just going to pretend that never happened or just recast the role and pretend like they never changed ala Katie Holmes/Maggie Gylenhaal in Batman Begins/Dark Knight. IDEA!: Use Alden Ehrenreich as Indiana Jones Jr. He's already playing young Han Solo. 

Cosmic    2,554

Baywatch is rated R for graphic nudity? Hmmm... probably not the kind I'm thinking of.

Ice_Cap    7,765

I saw King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. Critics ravaged it, and it probably won't make enough money to justify the series they were hoping for. And that's a damn shame, because this movie was fantastic.

It plays around with Arthurian lore like it just doesn't care. And you know what? Neither do I. Arthur wasn't even a king in the earliest stories we have of him. The Arthur of popular consciousness evolved over hundreds of years, with different authors reinterpreting legend and historical events to fit the needs of the story. So the fact that this movie plays around with it even further (Mordred isn't Arthur's son and he's around long before he's born, Vortigern is his uncle now, etc...) doesn't bother me. We're already so far removed from what the "historical" Arthur would have been like, if he even existed at all. So why get hung up this film not respecting "canon" that was made in defiance of earlier literary tradition in the first place?

What I do like is the fact that despite changing so much? They respect the sources within the confines of their new narrative. The Vortigern from literature wasn't a mage and wasn't Arthur's uncle, and he's both in the movie. Still? The "bullet points" of the literary/pseudo-historical Vortigern's reign as king are all hit. Likewise with Arthur. They play around with his "origin story" as it were, but the key points of him not knowing he's Uther's son only to have the responsibility thrust on him is all there. It's the best sort of re-imagining. It takes all of these characters and tells its own story that's new, but also respectful of the foundations of the mythos.

They also do the whole "setting up a cinematic universe" thing the right way. Too often the first installment of these things is crammed full of references that don't fit. Here they talk about things in the background that could become bigger deals down the road, but the movie works perfectly fine on its own. I really wish it would have done better. The classic Arthurian stories done up with this creative team would have been really neat.

Also it leaves that Clive Owen abomination in the dust.

dont care    1,444

Just saw alien covenant. I enjoyed it a lot, it reminded me of the original alien movies a lot more than promethias. I can't wait for the next one that should bridge the gap between this movie and "Alien". (I don't know why the captain didn't immediately kill David the second he found out he was a :censored:ing nutjob but it did push the story line along that he didn't)

Cosmic    2,554

Saw Power Rangers today. Didn't like the zords, didn't like the suits (actually they weren't terrible except for the spots on the spine), but everything else was pretty darn good. I thought how the Rangers found each other was probably better than the show. Rita and Zordon were really well-done, too. It wasn't a waste to have Bryan Cranston in there, so that was cool. I could nitpick, but the zords were really the only thing that I didn't like. Maybe they can get blown up in the sequel. :lol: