Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

2,490 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I both like and hate that Jumanji is an old video game now. Like I don't want it to be called Jumanji, but if it were something else I would complain that it was too much like Jumanji.

I hate that it's a video game now. It was an ancient board game in the original. The trailer isn't horrendus, but it feels underwhelming because one or two things should have been done differently. Unlike the Power Rangers, I do not like how they've rebooted Jumanji, thus far.

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I hate that it's a video game now. It was an ancient board game in the original. The trailer isn't horrendus, but it feels underwhelming because one or two things should have been done differently. Unlike the Power Rangers, I do not like how they've rebooted Jumanji, thus far.

I like the idea of people getting sucked into a video game and becoming their characters; I hate that the video game is Jumanji. It's also a bit of a disconnect from the conceit of the first movie... you didn't change into some random character once you were sucked into the board game. I don't see why that would have to happen in the video game.

If they didn't want the focus to be on individuals playing a board game, the focus should have been on one or several new ancient artifact(s) with magical powers, something closer to the original Jumanji. There's a couple of ways they could have went with the synopsis of wild animals and witchcraft, which would have been cool. That would have been better than an old random video game console that's been laying around.

I don't know how they'll handle the remaining tie-ins to the original movie. But if they add enough Easter Eggs, keep the most important elements of the premise the same, and don't make any unacceptably radical changes, the movie might get a lot of positive reviews. We'll see how they've handled the reboot, once the movie comes out.

Artistically, they probably should have gone the Zathura route and had the video game be its own unique thing... but then they wouldn't get the nostalgia bucks. Just pray that there's no Jumanji Cinematic Universe about how these cursed things came to be.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I don't know where else to post this, but The Walking Dead has halted production after an accident on set. Apparently a stuntman fell 30 feet landing on his head on a concrete floor. As you can assume there was brain damage and was brain dead and I saw on a Facebook post the pulled life support and he is now dead. Not sure what this means for the series of it delays the new season or not but that probably the last of anyone's worries.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/walking-dead-stuntman-dies-accident-georgia-set-181704133--abc-news-tv.html

Edited by dont care
Added link

We got tired of disagreeing on which Netflix show/movie to watch next so we binged a bunch of RedBox movies. 

Blood Father  - Good, not great. 7/10

Everybody Loves Somebody - chick flick - 7.5/10. Not bad at all for a lady film

CHIPs - 6.5/10. Funny as Hell.  Lots of language,  though.  Enjoyed it.  

Hell or High Water - diamond in the rough.  I loved every bit of it. I'm not sure I stopped laughing for any more than 30 seconds between.  This movie reminds me so much of Seven Psychopaths,  which is a VERY underrated movie in my book.  I would definitely watch this one again. 

I swear we watched more,  but these are the only ones I seem to remember.  

Saw Baby Driver a couple days ago and absolutely loved it. Great action movie. Had they ended it about three-quarters of the way in, they probably would've had enough for a sequel, but it still wrapped up pretty nicely. 9/10.

1 person likes this

Wreck-It Ralph 2 footage shown at D23. This will either be the best thing ever, or the worst thing ever; I can't decide which. Ralph and Vanellope apparently go to ohmydisney.com while they are out on the Internet (the subtitle of the movie is "Ralph Wrecks the Internet").

"Vanellope enters with her glitch powers. While the footage has been very rough, this is fully rendered! We see 3D animation versions all the Disney princesses

Vanellope tries to convince them that she's also a princess, but they don't believe her at first.

"Were you imprisoned in a castle?" "Where you poisoned?" "Did a sea witch take your voice?"

Merida's accent is so strong no one can understand her.

"She's from the other studio," says one of the Princesses

C-3PO enters and tells them Princesses they are needed

"We'll be right there, R2!" says Ariel.

"You know he hates being called that," says Cinderella. "We'll be right there, BB-8""

The jokes in the Princess scene are so dense, I didn't even catch them all. It's fantastic. Lassetter says that the Princesses are their original voices, including Jodi Benson as Ariel, Wing Na Wen as Mulan and Idina Menzel as Elsa!"

Saw War for the Planet of the Apes today. Definitely better than the sequel (which wasn't bad). Overall it was a very sad and tragic movie. Can't wait for the next one. 

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Saw War for the Planet of the Apes today. Definitely better than the sequel (which wasn't bad). Overall it was a very sad and tragic movie. Can't wait for the next one. 

I really have no idea where the next one will take them.

Yes the army will probably find their new home eventually, but I don't know what they will do in terms of characters. Will Ceasars son be the main character? Will it be his second in command? What about rocket? I'm really curious where they take the series.

Edited by Atomic
Please use spoiler tags next time when discussing potential plot points

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I really have no idea where the next one will take them. *spoilers*  I'm really curious where they take the series.

This is a general movie thread, use a :censored:ing spoiler tag.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

This is a general movie thread, use a :censored:ing spoiler tag.

I don't know what needed to be spoilered, I was intentionally as vague as possible in my post.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, dont care said:

I was intentionally as vague as possible in my post.

You did a bad job.

Edited by Atomic
Removed potential spoilers

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

You did a bad job.

Mod Edit

Edited by Atomic
Keeping the discussion moving.

Posted (edited)

Mod Edit 

Edited by Atomic
Keep it moving.

Let's keep this on track. If there's even a remote possibility of spoilers, use the spoiler tags.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:24 PM, Cosmic said:

Artistically, they probably should have gone the Zathura route and had the video game be its own unique thing... but then they wouldn't get the nostalgia bucks. Just pray that there's no Jumanji Cinematic Universe about how these cursed things came to be.

I love Zathura. Underrated kid's flick if you ask me.... but anything with Dax Sheppard is a win. 

As for my thoughts on the Jumanji trailer: I like the idea, but I'm worried that the execution is going to ruin this movie & that too many people are going to try to compare it to the older flick. Personally, I'd treat them as separate entities as they should be. For what this flick is going for, it looks to be a fun ride that could very well be a good movie in it's own right. I wouldn't pay to see it, but if I got invited to go along to a viewing, I'd check it out. 

1 person likes this

Cast of Aladdin was announced:

Aladdin- Mena Massoud

Jasmine- Naomi Scott

Genie- Will Smith