Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

goalieboy82    373
2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Dunkirk - Spectacular. Master class in filmmaking.

That Chris Nolan, he's got something to him.

i hope its not contagious.

CS85    5,115
4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Dunkirk - Spectacular. Master class in filmmaking.

That Chris Nolan, he's got something to him.

Don't know what you saw in it.  I found it to be easily his least challenging and most yawn-inducing movie.

Ice_Cap    7,438
2 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Don't know what you saw in it.  I found it to be easily his least challenging and most yawn-inducing movie.

The story of the Dunkirk evacuation is pretty awe inspiring and drama-filled on its own. I can see how it's Nolan's least challenging movie, but only because making an inspirational and drama-filled picture out of Dunkirk practically writes itself. 

In my opinion? Nolan wasn't ambitious because he didn't need to be. The story told itself.

CS85    5,115
10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The story of the Dunkirk evacuation is pretty awe inspiring and drama-filled on its own. I can see how it's Nolan's least challenging movie, but only because making an inspirational and drama-filled picture out of Dunkirk practically writes itself. 

In my opinion? Nolan wasn't ambitious because he didn't need to be. The story told itself.

Fair enough.  It didn't speak to me whatsoever, but clearly I'm in the minority.  

Still MIGHTY    1,817

I just thought that every aspect from the sound design (probably it's best individual trait, actually), shot composition, music, lighting, etc. It was all so technically brilliant.

And story-wise, like Ice Cap said, it kind of tells itself and Nolan did a fantastic job of framing it. For a film with so little dialogue and no backstory or set-up emotional pull for almost all of its characters, I was gripped the whole time.

I also just loved the mechanics of the storytelling, or as I said how Nolan framed it. There are, what, three lines of preamble text? Basically Germans drove the Brits and French to the beach. They have to be evacuated. All is hopeless. It starts and ends in a contained space of the evacuation. And again the mechanic of it, the three storylines told over their space of time, I thought it was cleverly done. It's not exactly Memento in that sense, but it was a different and, I thought, well-executed way to tell a story without the linear A to B.

I don't think the film particularly "spoke" to me either. There's not some emotional throughline or a lesson or stirring acting performances or brutally true violence. It's just a well-made piece of film.

DScruggy729    265

I know I'm late to the party but Dunkirk was awesome. I don't mind the movie's assault on your senses at all. 

While it being PG-13 wasn't as much of drag as I thought it was going to be, it would've been a lot better for me with a solid R rating with actual blood & gore (it is a war movie after all) but oh well. 

FGM13    674
36 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not a knock on the movie, which looks good, but the fact that that is Gary Oldman is so weird. I guess nowadays you don't have to look like your character to play them. I'm not sure if that's good or not. 

Unless of course Gary Oldman has really let himself go.

Brass    1,566

I just watched The Founder on Netflix and it was fantastic. You go through such a change in your attitude towards Michael Keaton's character Ray Croc (his performance was outstanding) and it makes for a great viewing experience. Pretty good cast and the story really flows well, too. I highly recommend it.

B-Rich    223
On 8/13/2017 at 0:06 AM, FGM13 said:

Not a knock on the movie, which looks good, but the fact that that is Gary Oldman is so weird. I guess nowadays you don't have to look like your character to play them. I'm not sure if that's good or not. 

Unless of course Gary Oldman has really let himself go.

And the "old woman" playing his wife is Kristin Scott-Thomas, who I am old enough to remember thusly:

274701-17059-clp-950.jpg.6cac222dc8ef52a8443941eabcaca64f.jpg

-kristin-scott-thomas-lwren-scott.jpg.2c0fe2a4d8449f96036999c201306b36.jpg

fhd996TEP_Kristin_Scott_Thomas_004@003651_488.thumb.jpg.a0804d0f5c47b1da784ebded6d6bd7e3.jpg

CS85    5,115

Say what you will about Larry the Cable Guy, but he seems, at least in these instances, like an extremely gracious, down-to-earth person who doesn't take the amazing success he's gotten for granted.  I wasn't a fan of how Mater became so prominent in the Cars series (or the Cars series overall), but when it comes down to a personal level, I gotta say I'm happy for the guy.