Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

CS85    5,230

Just saw "It," and "It" was good.  Book and movie spoilers below.

GOOD
  • Bill Skarsgard was a pretty phenomenal Pennywise, but to compare him to Tim Curry isn't quite fair.  They're so totally different that there's simply no room to compare.  Skarsgard was delightfully creepy, disgusting, and had tremendous screen presence.
  • The kids casting was solid.  Only one I felt like was weak was Mike, and even he wasn't bad.  Really enjoyed seeing the characters lead the way of the story.
  • I was entertained the entire way.  Wasn't a moment of the movie where I was like, "get the hell on with it already."  Audience was awesome too, screaming and jumping on all the right beats.  We even got several earnest "DON'T GO IN THERE" shouts that weren't overblown.  The guy next to us kept cowering in the crook of his girlfriend's arm.  Great experience, especially with the benefits of IMAX sound.
  • It was for the best they cut the Kid Orgy.  I was worried it would take place.

BAD

• Stranger Things Kid (STK going forward) has a lot of great one-liners, but they clearly fed him a lot of goodies and upstaging moments the whole way through, and by the time his final bit of dialogue comes, it's jumped the shark thrice over.
  • The pacing was good enough to keep the movie flowing, but I got the sense that this could heavily benefit from an extended cut.  Would've liked more development of their friendships and slowed things down for at least one more scene.  
  • Pennywise did a lot of annoying mocking of their fear.  I felt like that was stupid.  If anything he should be turned on by it, savoring it, moaning in ecstasy at their terror.  It would've added a new layer of creepy to his already foul character.

jmac11281    1,092
On 9/8/2017 at 11:13 PM, CS85 said:

Reveal hidden contents

GOOD

• Bill Skarsgard was a pretty phenomenal Pennywise, but to compare him to Tim Curry isn't quite fair.  They're so totally different that there's simply no room to compare.  Skarsgard was delightfully creepy, disgusting, and had tremendous screen presence.
  • The kids casting was solid.  Only one I felt like was weak was Mike, and even he wasn't bad.  Really enjoyed seeing the characters lead the way of the story.
  • I was entertained the entire way.  Wasn't a moment of the movie where I was like, "get the hell on with it already."  Audience was awesome too, screaming and jumping on all the right beats.  We even got several earnest "DON'T GO IN THERE" shouts that weren't overblown.  The guy next to us kept cowering in the crook of his girlfriend's arm.  Great experience, especially with the benefits of IMAX sound.
  • It was for the best they cut the Kid Orgy.  I was worried it would take place.

BAD

• Stranger Things Kid (STK going forward) has a lot of great one-liners, but they clearly fed him a lot of goodies and upstaging moments the whole way through, and by the time his final bit of dialogue comes, it's jumped the shark thrice over.
  • The pacing was good enough to keep the movie flowing, but I got the sense that this could heavily benefit from an extended cut.  Would've liked more development of their friendships and slowed things down for at least one more scene.  
  • Pennywise did a lot of annoying mocking of their fear.  I felt like that was stupid.  If anything he should be turned on by it, savoring it, moaning in ecstasy at their terror.  It would've added a new layer of creepy to his already foul character.

I agree with your points. Overall, I thought it was a very well done adaption.

McCarthy    6,617
On 9/8/2017 at 11:13 PM, CS85 said:

Hide contents

GOOD

BAD

It was fun time at the movies. I thought it was good and benefits a lot from being a theatrical release that the original didn't get. Also, bigger budget, we're better at making movies now, special effects, the kids were better actors, etc etc. I was more scared from this than the original. The original was also a TV mini-series so they had more time to fill, but I didn't think the development of the kids' characters in this one suffered. It's a better told story when you're not jumping back and forth in time to when they're grownups. 

Other non spoiler thoughts:

- Tim Curry is my IT for life and that's not to take anything away from Skarsgard because he was fantastic. 

- The girl who plays Bev is a dead ringer for Amy Adams. They probably won't be able to get her for part 2, however. 

- STK was my favorite. Putting the glasses on him and making him the loudmouth did enough for me to separate him from his Stranger things character. 

- The kids' language and jokes was refreshingly real. That is exactly how 13 year old boys talk to each other. 

Spoiler Thoughts:

Spoiler

- holy cow Georgie's death was heart-wrenching made worse because we all knew what was about to happen and they really upped the stakes of the visuals. The kid getting his arm bit off and crawling, bloodied, futilely really got me and gave you a statement right away that this movie was going to bring the heat. 

I actually wasn't entertained the entire way because once it became clear that they were going to show each individual kid's encounter with their version of the scary clown in succession I was ready for them to be done with that sequence so we could move on with the rest of the film. So I sat there waiting for each kid to get scared by the clown and that took like a half hour. 

Less obvious jump scares than a lot of horror movies. 

But other than that, no complaints. Solid movie going experience. My wife, a huge scary movie fan, was grasping my arm the entire time. 

CS85    5,230
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It was fun time at the movies. I thought it was good and benefits a lot from being a theatrical release that the original didn't get. Also, bigger budget, we're better at making movies now, special effects, the kids were better actors, etc etc. I was more scared from this than the original. The original was also a TV mini-series so they had more time to fill, but I didn't think the development of the kids' characters in this one suffered. It's a better told story when you're not jumping back and forth in time to when they're grownups. 

Other non spoiler thoughts:

- Tim Curry is my IT for life and that's not to take anything away from Skarsgard because he was fantastic. 

- The girl who plays Bev is a dead ringer for Amy Adams. They probably won't be able to get her for part 2, however. 

- STK was my favorite. Putting the glasses on him and making him the loudmouth did enough for me to separate him from his Stranger things character. 

- The kids' language and jokes was refreshingly real. That is exactly how 13 year old boys talk to each other. 

Spoiler Thoughts:

Hide contents

- holy cow Georgie's death was heart-wrenching made worse because we all knew what was about to happen and they really upped the stakes of the visuals. The kid getting his arm bit off and crawling, bloodied, futilely really got me and gave you a statement right away that this movie was going to bring the heat. 

I actually wasn't entertained the entire way because once it became clear that they were going to show each individual kid's encounter with their version of the scary clown in succession I was ready for them to be done with that sequence so we could move on with the rest of the film. So I sat there waiting for each kid to get scared by the clown and that took like a half hour. 

Less obvious jump scares than a lot of horror movies. 

But other than that, no complaints. Solid movie going experience. My wife, a huge scary movie fan, was grasping my arm the entire time. 

Somebody I spoke with mentioned that Mike's character was wholly wasted, and if you cut him from the film you wouldn't have lost anything.  I agreed.

McCarthy    6,617

We rewatched the original IT last night. Holy damnit the scenes with the kids were sub-amateur. I know it was a TV miniseries 27 years ago, but good grief it was like watching a school play. You wonder how some of those kids were even cast. Jonathon Brandis, may he rest in peace, was not good

Tim Curry is still the GOAT Pennywise. 

CS85    5,230
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

We rewatched the original IT last night. Holy damnit the scenes with the kids were sub-amateur. I know it was a TV miniseries 27 years ago, but good grief it was like watching a school play. You wonder how some of those kids were even cast. Jonathon Brandis, may he rest in peace, was not good

The guys at Red Letter Media did a quality breakdown of the It (1990) and It (2017) that points out the odd love affair people have with the 1990 crapshow.

SFGiants58    1,894
57 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Seth Green is probably the best kid actor in that miniseries. That's not saying much.

Tim Curry's turn as Pennywise makes me curious about his rejected performance as The Joker in Batman: The Animated Series. While Mark Hamill is my favorite Joker (with Heath Ledger and Caesar Romero close behind), Tim Curry could have done a fantastic job with the scripts.

jmac11281    1,092
On 9/13/2017 at 2:09 PM, CS85 said:

Somebody I spoke with mentioned that Mike's character was wholly wasted, and if you cut him from the film you wouldn't have lost anything.  I agreed.

I agree. They had a few part with him in the beginning but when he was with the other Losers, he had no lines and screen time. 

jmac11281    1,092
On 9/14/2017 at 10:10 AM, CS85 said:

The guys at Red Letter Media did a quality breakdown of the It (1990) and It (2017) that points out the odd love affair people have with the 1990 crapshow.

I think the miniseries was okay. Part 1 was good but part 2 sucked. Nostalgia is the biggest factor. I saw the minseries when I was about to turn 9. It scared the crap out of me. Im 35 now, so obviously the movie wasn't going to scare me. I haven't been scared by a movie in about 25 years. However, I can see how someone was scared of this movie. It was creepy as hell even if you are not a Coulrophobe.

As far as Pennywise, Curry was good but he wasn't amazing. I felt much more creeped out by Skarsgard. His mannerisms alone were creepy as all hell.