Dexter Morgan

Movies, Movies, and Movies

CS85    5,406
45 minutes ago, Brass said:

Most likely. Joaquin Phoenix whispering everything also didn't help the movie's cause. I like the idea behind the film, but the execution was terrible. Par for the course with M. Night, though.

Not really fair to MNS.  He's a fine moviemaker for the most part.  Signs, Village, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable?  These are all very enjoyable movies, IMHO.  Even Lady in the Water was reasonably decent.  I'll totally grant you that The Happening was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I've heard nothing but bad things about After Earth and Avatar, but he's coming around.

He wrote Devil and that was a pretty solid movie for what a minimalist concept it was.  I've heard very good things about Split, too.

Here's the major problem M.Night has always had, and that's the distributors and marketing team behind him got absolutely drunk as hell on making him the new Hitchcock.

Granted, he kind of did that to himself with the whole cameo bits and twist endings people came to expect, but when your goal is to make movies that are mysterious, nuanced, and interesting becomes torn down by a marketing team that calls you "the new master of horror" and says "the ending will haunt you," there's no way to live up to that, much less having everything you do get compared to one of the best filmmakers ever.

I guess I'm happy to defend M. Night because his movies are unique without being pretentious, and the style of his storytelling appeals to me.  If moviegoers are upset that his twist endings aren't blowing their minds, that's on them, not him.  Just look at his movies as movies and less as "how far did the twist ending hit the ball" and you'll enjoy it more.  

For your part, sure, I can totally see why the dialogue would annoy you, but it seems to me like it's just not your flavor of movie, which is totally acceptable.  The subjective nature of movies is beautiful in this regard.

That said, anyone over the age of 11 who feels like The Emoji Movie is a masterpiece should be drowned.

Cosmic    2,556

Hell, I even liked his Avatar. That was before I watched the show, but still. Of course, now I'd like to revisit the movie, and see if my feelings have changed.

DG_Now    4,009

I thought Signs was dumb because the twist was illogical -- water couldn't be the secret weapon against aliens because they would have dissolved on touchdown, yeah? Village telegraphed its twist a million miles away; and without the twist the movie was nothing.

And that was it for MNS movies for me.

I saw Blade Runner 2 over the weekend. I loved it.

CS85    5,406
14 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I thought Signs was dumb because the twist was illogical -- water couldn't be the secret weapon against aliens because they would have dissolved on touchdown, yeah? Village telegraphed its twist a million miles away; and without the twist the movie was nothing.

Agreed, that was indeed stupid.  These advanced beings were all over the world but never encountered rain?  Fog?  Mist?  Any large body of water?  

That said, the movie used aliens as a plot device for the real core message of the movie:  Faith and belief that everything happens for a reason.

Is it executed in a weird way?  For sure.  But I, again, enjoyed the presentation,  the actors, and the script.  I don't let the gimmick bother me.

DScruggy729    266
20 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Blade Runner 2049 was awesome. I totally expected it to suck too, so it was a pleasant surprise. 

Gary.    302
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

MNS movies that I actually like is the Unbreakable series and that’s about it.

Saw Mr. Church, damn tear jerker. One of Eddie Murphy’s best movies I’ve ever seen