Georgia State Flag Concept

illwauk

I never understood people crying over the history of certain flags when speaking about them aesthetically.

well, we weren't exactly discussing the aesthetics of the Confederate flag on its own, but rather recolored in the Pan-African colors.

In that context, history matters. As I said at the time, it's a little like recoloring the swastika in Israeli blue and white.

Oh my. I feel weird even bringing it up, but putting a blue swastika on the Israeli flag would possibly create the most offensive flag ever.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone's already done it, I'm sure.

Then again I think various protests around the world have caused the swastika to be plastered on pretty much everything remotely political in nature these days. 'Cause calling someone you disagree with Hitler is a surefire way to win an argument, don't ya know? ;)

I never understood people crying over the history of certain flags when speaking about them aesthetically.

well, we weren't exactly discussing the aesthetics of the Confederate flag on its own, but rather recolored in the Pan-African colors.

In that context, history matters. As I said at the time, it's a little like recoloring the swastika in Israeli blue and white.

Technically it'd be more like swapping out the swastika for the Star of David on the Third Reich flag... I might be wrong, but I always thought recoloring a flag implies that the country whose flag is the base has been conquered, hence why I redid the Confederate flag in Pan-African colors :D

Flags are rarely recoloured in actuality. So there's no real symbolism for what it means. Usually occupying powers design new symbols all together for the newly conquered territory. Heck, Albania's flag during its period under Italian rule in WWII used the traditional Albanian colours of red and black (though the emblem was Fascisized).

As for the CSA flag in pan-African colours thing, it still comes off as creepy, even if your intentions were to poke fun at neo-Confederates.

Question for illwauk about African symbolism though (yes, clueless whitey here). Pan-African colours seem to come in two varieties. Green-red-yellow and red-black-green. Now and then you see flags that mix the two colour sets. What's the difference between the two sets? Do they symbolize two wings of the pan-African movement or are they simply two colour sets used to represent the movement that came into being independently of each other?

Flags are rarely recoloured in actuality. So there's no real symbolism for what it means. Usually occupying powers design new symbols all together for the newly conquered territory. Heck, Albania's flag during its period under Italian rule in WWII used the traditional Albanian colours of red and black (though the emblem was Fascisized).

As for the CSA flag in pan-African colours thing, it still comes off as creepy, even if your intentions were to poke fun at neo-Confederates.

Question for illwauk about African symbolism though (yes, clueless whitey here). Pan-African colours seem to come in two varieties. Green-red-yellow and red-black-green. Now and then you see flags that mix the two colour sets. What's the difference between the two sets? Do they symbolize two wings of the pan-African movement or are they simply two colour sets used to represent the movement that came into being independently of each other?

I know the green-red-yellow comes from the historical flag of Ethiopia. As for the addition of black, the obvious guess is to represent dark-skinned people, but also possibly a mix of the Pan-African colors with Pan-Arab colors as a nod to the various African Muslim countries?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

So what if Americans are fat and lazy - if your terrible country's food didn't taste like dong - you would eat a lot more, too. Sure this country isn't perfect - our cheese is awful - our cars are junk - the American Dream is something only foreigners believe in - and the movie "The American" scored a 38% on the Tomato-meter. The US of A is still the greatest country ever stolen. We took it from the Indians - forced the Chinese to build it - and then made the blacks maintain it. For the record, I am not very comfortable saying "the blacks". Real patriotism means understanding that America sucks - but every place else is about 1000 times worse. We may catch a lot of flack from other countries - but when you're kicking ass and taking names since 1776 haters are gonna hate. Remember if Canada were really that great - it would be a state.

-Quote from Tosh.0

I think everyone needs to lighten up about the Confederate flag. The truth is, it's just a flag.

Just like the swastika is just a flag right?

As for Canada "being a state," well you guys tried to make that happen in 1812. Didn't really work out, did it?

Those british soldiers were tough...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Just like the swastika is just a flag right?

As for Canada "being a state," well you guys tried to make that happen in 1812. Didn't really work out, did it?

Those british soldiers were tough...

1) You assume British and Canadian cannot be seen as interchangeable from a historical context. Canadian citizens were also automatically British subjects up until the 1970s.

2) Canadian militia made up part of the British forces defending Canada, and took part in most major battles. Since, you know, the British were busy with that Napoleon guy in Europe.

3) My point still stands. "If Canada were so great, it would be a state" is a hilariously bad point to make, because you guys tried to make it a state twice (in the American Revolution and the War of 1812) and you failed miserably both times. Maybe it's not that we're not "good enough" to be a state, or states, in your Union in so much as it's the fact that we don't want to be in it.

FTR, I'm not saying the American Union is something not worth being a part of. I view the United States a grand experiment in republican democracy, an ongoing and evolving one. I have a lot of respect of the American republican experiment. Heck, Alexander Hamilton's one of my favourite political philosophers.

My respect for your Union doesn't mean I want to be part of it, however. Nor do I feel the nobility of your republican experiment gives your nation a G-d given right to rule over the entirety of this continent.

Evidently you're not that clueless because you're thinking along the right lines :D

The red, black and green flag (aka RBG flag) was created by Marcus Garvey in the early 20th century who is more/less the grandfather of modern Pan-Africanism. The red, gold and green flag (aka Jah (God) flag) is associated with the Rastafarian movement which views Garvey as a prophet. Both sets were chosen because of their significance in African tradition (red = bloodshed, courage; black = people; green = bountiful land; gold = spiritual richness) which is why it's not uncommon to see them displayed together and why they show up in the flags of many post-colonial African nations.

Evidently you're not that clueless because you're thinking along the right lines :D

The red, black and green flag (aka RBG flag) was created by Marcus Garvey in the early 20th century who is more/less the grandfather of modern Pan-Africanism. The red, gold and green flag (aka Jah (God) flag) is associated with the Rastafarian movement which views Garvey as a prophet. Both sets were chosen because of their significance in African tradition (red = bloodshed, courage; black = people; green = bountiful land; gold = spiritual richness) which is why it's not uncommon to see them displayed together and why they show up in the flags of many post-colonial African nations.

Ah, thank you. Much appreciated.

Anyone who has a problem with a FLAG, is an ignorant douchebag. It's colored fabric with a design on it. Grow up.

Spoken like someone who's not part of an ethnic/religious group constantly being targeted by "ignorant douchebags" who fly these flags. Stay classy.

Anyone who has a problem with a FLAG, is an ignorant douchebag. It's colored fabric with a design on it. Grow up.

Really? Flags have no symbolism whatsoever? So it'd be cool to eat a US flag?

hes-eating-the-flag-zoidberg-flag-eat-dignity-wtf-demotivational-poster-1290267381.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I never understood people crying over the history of certain flags when speaking about them aesthetically. A lot of countries or nations (the majority) have had terrible moments in their history. I, living in Canada, see the Canadian flag with regularity. The Canadian nation has done cruel things in it's past. I see the Union Jack sometimes. The Brits have done horrible things in their past. I also see the Iroquois flag flying every now and then. The Iroquois completely wiped out the Erie tribe. Many countries have the crescent moon on their flags; the symbol of Islam. Islam has done (and is currently doing) horrible things. Many more have the Christian cross or crosses of Christian saints - Christianity has dong horrible things in the past. Japan has a popular flag. They also have some horrible moments in their history. And on and on...

:huh: yikes.

spacer.png

We're sorry, the position of "Insane Right Wing Troll" has been filled by *mod deleted*. We will keep your resume on file on the off chance that we might be so crazy as to re-fill the position if it re-opens down the road.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Are you okay with people burning the US flag?

If not, it's tremendous hypocrisy.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived